Glasgow Cup Tie - Tuesday Evening

Fawlty Towers

9 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Can't believe that.  No fans for H&S reasons.  No news for can't be arsed reasons.  Until I hear otherwise!

If they 'can't be arsed' why have they covered, and actively promoted, every other Glasgow Cup game? The only difference with this one is QP made it closed door and I don't think the club has ever covered closed games - must be a reason for it.

2 hours ago, G SUS said:

If they 'can't be arsed' why have they covered, and actively promoted, every other Glasgow Cup game? The only difference with this one is QP made it closed door and I don't think the club has ever covered closed games - must be a reason for it.

I've attended most of the games and have on each occasion had to go onto the opponent clubs' websites to get the date confirmed. Our club website has mentioned the games but usually on the same day. That's hardly promoting the fixture. On the other hand the actual coverage and post coverage has been reasonable.

I wonder about the need for a 'closed door' policy from Queens, I can only imagine they were not prepared to pay for the minimum of security required. Pretty sad if this is the case. 

Note the update to the Celtic ticketing issues on the main PTFC website has thrown up the possibility of having the PTFC support identified as ST holders or if you don't have a ST, you can become a 'Club Members'. I think the formation of a new supporters group is a good thing, I wonder if this could start the process of a 'Jags Trust' / 'PTFC Trust' amalgamation [or more likely dissolution] to something like 'The Partick Thistle Supporters Club'?

3 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I wonder about the need for a 'closed door' policy from Queens, I can only imagine they were not prepared to pay for the minimum of security required. Pretty sad if this is the case. 

Note the update to the Celtic ticketing issues on the main PTFC website has thrown up the possibility of having the PTFC support identified as ST holders or if you don't have a ST, you can become a 'Club Members'. I think the formation of a new supporters group is a good thing, I wonder if this could start the process of a 'Jags Trust' / 'PTFC Trust' amalgamation [or more likely dissolution] to something like 'The Partick Thistle Supporters Club'?

Lesser Hampden isn't licensed for competitive fixtures.

I guess the term 'competitive fixtures' is one a club can just interpret to suit their requirements? Lesser Hamden was fine for watching the reserves last season, and if they had followed the logic of not charging for entry to the game perhaps they could have allowed spectators? But whatever ….. they didn't and there was no one to see the game, no big deal …. just seems a bit pointless.

21 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I guess the term 'competitive fixtures' is one a club can just interpret to suit their requirements? Lesser Hamden was fine for watching the reserves last season, and if they had followed the logic of not charging for entry to the game perhaps they could have allowed spectators? But whatever ….. they didn't and there was no one to see the game, no big deal …. just seems a bit pointless.

Highlights available on Jagzone now.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Camallain said:

image.thumb.png.c9b01d8f5679bc994ad4775462724b49.png

Correct me if I am wrong in this but do the rules of the Glasgow cup not now state that we have to play a certain number of players regarded as first team?  Not sure how that line up complies.

Maybe that's almost the starting 11 for the Dunfermline game! :happy2:

18 minutes ago, Camallain said:

From the Glasgow Cup website:  https://www.glasgowfa.co.uk/pdf/gc_rules_2019.pdf

(b) In the case of 1st Teams participating in the City of Glasgow Cup, teams must field a minimum of 6 recognised 1st Team players in the starting line-up.

We have just one!

Agreed, and quite apart from complying with the rules of the competition, surely we have some first team squad members returning from injury who could do with playing at least part of the game, plus fringe/bench players who need to get some game time, in the hope that they might improve!? A good performance could put someone into "first pick" contention, given that few of  those currently in the team have nailed done their places by consistent high quality showings. 

Very young Thistle team against a very experienced Clyde side including Goodwillie, Johnston, Lamont, McStay and McNiff. 

Sneddon was excellent, some very good saves, handling and kicking. Watson looked good up top, Sena ok in middle but beyond that didn’t learn much from it such as the gap in experience. 

Not sure why we didn’t play Austin, Robson, Mansell, Barjonas etc tonight to get them some match sharpness 

To put the match into perspective Clyde effectively played their entire first team bar their goalie and a young sub brought on for the last 25 minutes. No doubt the reverse fixture drubbing affected the strength of their line up. True Sneddon kept the score down but I thought we still played reasonably well. If the object of the exercise was to keep the score respectable for goal difference reasons then we played more than just reasonable.

In truth the mismatch at Firhill should've ended up anything between 12 to 15 to nil. The young Clyde players that night just kept on trying to play attacking football regardless. Last night altho we played two up we ceded midfield in order to get everyone else behind the ball. No way to try and win the game but as I say I'm uncertain what our intentions were. I wouldn't be too judgemental as too often I've seen us being totally overrun and at least in this case the heads didn't go down.

Clyde themselves are in a bit of a relegation tussle yet played a strong side so I'm not sure the reasoning behind our Club's attitude re not playing to (or bending) the rules. Ahead of Saturday's game Stevie Crawford & Co sat thru around 80 freezing minutes last night. I doubt he's come away any the wiser.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1