Thistle vs QotS Thread

Yellow & Redneck

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

McCall is not the Messiah but I believe he is a significant improvement on Calamity. He will get more from these players. Confident that we will not be floating around in the relegation mire all season but not sure how far we will rise. 

Will be disappointed if we don't win today but won't throw the toys out.

Think McCall will sort things out , our lack of firepower is a big concern, mid table would be a good season 

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think McCall will sort things out , our lack of firepower is a big concern, mid table would be a good season 

We’re 4th equal in league goals scored. We’ve only been shut out in the Dunfermline debacle under caretaker stewardship. The concern is with defence and the defensive contribution of the midfield in front of them. 

First half last week we weren’t great aside from DZ’s goal. Second half was a big improvement though. We can certainly win today and confidence is a major factor. 

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We need to tighten up at the back and I don't believe three centrebacks is the answer. Clearly we'll have to rely on goals from midfield/wide attackers as well as Miller, so taking a player out of midfield to supplement the defence would make scoring all the harder.  

O’Ware did okay when pushed into midfield. Gives the forward players more opportunities to get forward and can still be a threat at set-pieces. 

McCall will still be struggling on a first eleven with the current squad going forward. There will be a period of chopping and changing certainly until January I feel. He always had a smallish squad at Ayr, interesting to see how he manages our larger squad going forward. 

13 minutes ago, jagfox said:

O’Ware did okay when pushed into midfield. Gives the forward players more opportunities to get forward and can still be a threat at set-pieces. 

McCall will still be struggling on a first eleven with the current squad going forward. There will be a period of chopping and changing certainly until January I feel. He always had a smallish squad at Ayr, interesting to see how he manages our larger squad going forward. 

Fair points. I did tho' feel that O'Ware drifted back into defence a bit too much (or perhaps more correctly didn't get forward enough when opportunity arose) and we only played that formation as McCall was still trying to assess our strengths and weaknesses. I do think we need to get Cole into the team tho' I do accept that nether him, Banzo or Palmer are confident defensive mids.

Agree it will be interesting to see how McCall manages a larger squad. We'll have Harkins and Slater available soon, so for a while until Cole & Palmer leave we'll have quite a few central mids not getting game time. 

44 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We need to tighten up at the back and I don't believe three centrebacks is the answer. Clearly we'll have to rely on goals from midfield/wide attackers as well as Miller, so taking a player out of midfield to supplement the defence would make scoring all the harder.  

I agree that it is the defence that is the problem. We have scored 2 or more goals several times this season. That should’ve been enough to win games.

9 minutes ago, West Ender said:

Feels like first game of the season for me. Got my scarf on for first time in ages, full of optimism. Play up the chaps in vermilion and primrose! Let's send them doonhame to shut windaes and doors!

Surely the Lord will looketh down and blesseth  His own people on this Sabbath day!

Oware Robson banzo and Cole when he came on were really good

disappointing from zanatta today he is better than that

cardle tried as always but had a stinker

gordon and Williamson really poor - the way Williamson let himself be brushed off the ball at the end was ridiculous 

plenty of work for McCall to do though a draw would have been a fair result 

• Like 1