Thistle vs QotS Thread

Yellow & Redneck

Miller should’ve been told at HT to run the width of 18 yd box & on the shoulders of the centre halves. Ridiculous some of the positions he was taking up. It left us with no one or one man in the box at times when we got into decent wide positions.

Banzo- I’m a massive fan but today was ridiculous. Dropping too deep. Taking the ball of centre halves to pass it out to Williamson or Robson. If O’Ware/McGinty not capable of even doing that then neither should be in the team.

Finally, as someone who cancelled Jagzone, were injuries the reason for the make up of our bench today? 2 centre halves & 2 full backs with no Mansell. I know he’s no great shakes but we could’ve done with a forward player on the bench.

Just as an added extra. Does Mitch Austin still exist/still at the club?

35 minutes ago, jaf said:

I was watching McCall in the immediate aftermath of the goal , looking round his subs trying to work out how to change things and the dawning realisation hitting him that the squad he has inherited has no options.

No idea why Mansell wasn’t on the bench .

For all thats being said about Millar today (some of which I agree with) I have to say that he dropped into midfield occasionaly due to the fact that there was nothing creative happening there. When Millar dropped back he actually played some decent passes forward. Also, credit to Queens. They were very competent, closed us down and looked more dangerous. Dobbie is a  class act. Cant think of anything good to say about us apart from Fox's magnificent save and Robson was passable.

We need an  out and out striker, someone to play up top and hold the ball in.

Miller can finish but he wants to drop in for the ball and that leaves no one up top for the wingers/full backs to aim for. He is best behind a front man. 

Doing that means either Gordon/Banzo/Palmer has to be dropped and we play two in there.

There must be a free agent striker about we can get in short term

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Pass to the side, pass back, pass to the side, pass forward, pass back, pass to the side, pass forward to the wing, cross ball to nobody because nobody is ever in the ******* box! Same old same old, too predictable and pedestrian.

Its as if Caldwell is still here in some capacity.......No change what so ever.............

4 minutes ago, sandy said:

We never looked like scoring today, real shortage of firepower up front. Queens were quicker to be ball and were well organised defensively.

Will give McCall food for thought.

Hospitality only half full today, the legacy of Caldwell. 

Caldwell has stated this squad is top 4 material. It is not. The Caldwell legacy can be seen on and off the park.

• Like 1

As many have said above the problem was the forward line. Both Cardle and Dario had off days and we had no presence in the box. Queens to their credit defended well throughout the match,

I thought we moved the ball well in the last 30 mins but they packed the box and we had nobody who could compete physically with the Queen's backline. 

I thought Cardle should have been off with De Vita going out wide. Why was Mansell not on the bench? He is limited but we needed his presence in the box when we were pressing so hard. 

Reece Cole showed again the ability he has. Can he play next to Banzo in this league who knows but he deserves to start next week,

I thought when Cole came on we were going to change formation to allow two strikers as Miller needed somone next to him. However, McCall opted to go with Dario, Miller and Cardle in a forward line but it did not work. Both Miller and Cardle were tiring and Dario was having an off day. Don't want to criticise too much as the manager does not really know the players but I think he got the tactical switches wrong. 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Patience is a virtue :hypocrite:

Yes the manager has had less than 2 weeks to work with the squad. We got a victory last week, that maybe raised the expectations for today. Once again we are left with a new manager having to work with a squad he did not assemble,but the need to make sure we pick up points and hope they can improve the squad in January.

• Like 1

To be honest, I've seen a lot worse. Both teams at least tried to play football and the game could have gone either way.

I think once the decks have been shuffled a bit in January we will start to move forward.

Delighted to have Ian McCall and Archie back, think they will compliment each other and will be a greater force than the sum of their parts.

I also hope that Colin Weir buys the club.

We didn't become a bad team overnight and we won't become a good one overnight either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

I thought Cardle should have been off with De Vita going out wide. 

However, McCall opted to go with Dario, Miller and Cardle in a forward line but it did not work. Both Miller and Cardle were tiring and Dario was having an off day. Don't want to criticise too much as the manager does not really know the players but I think he got the tactical switches wrong. 

Sorry for the very selective quoting but I too thought having Cardle playing 90 mins today was poor management. I also thought Cole, not simply based on his display on Tues night alone, should've been on from the start. Given the polarisation on here no doubt someone will be along to tell me I'm a Caldwell apologist and/or anti McCall. Fact is I'm chuffed to bits with the new management team and equally chuffed Caldwell is away. Still in my view a couple of needless errors.

Totally unrelated but again it has to be said, that clown Dallas does not know the rules. If you remember when Bannigan got sent off against Ayr their player (who had received attention) was made to go off the pitch. The rule regarding that got changed two or three seasons ago. Today we had a Queens player being substituted hobble off the long way instead of to the nearest touchline. Of course neither incident affected the result but either that ref is ignorant or plain arrogant. I'll give Dallas the benefit of the doubt and say he's both.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

56 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sorry for the very selective quoting but I too thought having Cardle playing 90 mins today was poor management. I also thought Cole, not simply based on his display on Tues night alone, should've been on from the start. Given the polarisation on here no doubt someone will be along to tell me I'm a Caldwell apologist and/or anti McCall. Fact is I'm chuffed to bits with the new management team and equally chuffed Caldwell is away. Still in my view a couple of needless errors.

Totally unrelated but again it has to be said, that clown Dallas does not know the rules. If you remember when Bannigan got sent off against Ayr their player (who had received attention) was made to go off the pitch. The rule regarding that got changed two or three seasons ago. Today we had a Queens player being substituted hobble off the long way instead of to the nearest touchline. Of course neither incident affected the result but either that ref is ignorant or plain arrogant. I'll give Dallas the benefit of the doubt and say he's both.

I would suggest that the poor management is down to McCall having been manager for less than 2 weeks and he is still getting to know his squad. If he is still making the same mistakes in a couple of months time it is time to worry again. I think he has shown with what he has done at Ayr he knows how to get the best out of a squad of players.

From the highlights: in the first half we seemed to play entirely down the left flank... is that in fact what happened? 

A few decent chances or at least half-chances.... but every shot from outside of the box was off-target, though not always by much. 

Another goal lost by one of our central defenders crumbling under the challenge of a cross ball. Poor, poor, poor.

It didn't look as bad as I feared from reading some of the comments. But the league position says it all: conceding too many goals, not scoring enough goals. For more than two years now.

Thought we were flat throughout the game yesterday, no spark to the play at all.

The game certainly showed up the weaknesses McCall will have to address. A defence prone to losing concentration; a midfield that doesn't create (or dominate the opposition); and a forward line that doesn't score goals.

So, no pressure then.

Without significant personnel changes, the best we can hope for is that he can coach an improvement into the defence - McGinty is the one who needs it most, but O'Ware has already shown he can be a class act.

I think Cole could be a quick fix for our midfield problems. Without wishing to scapegoat anyone, I'd replace Bannigan with Cole. I think we'd immediately start to create more, move the ball faster and start to put pressure on the opposition.

Cardle, Millar and Zanatta will hit shots in future games that go to the right side of the post. Seemed like yesterday was one of those days when we could have played until midnight and still not scored. Like others, I think Mansell should have been in the mix, but we might have to wait until January before that problem can be addressed.

I think it's too early to start being concerned about relegation. If we'd scored first yesterday, we would have won that game. There's not a team in this league that we're not capable of beating, even with the current squad. McCall has a power of work ahead of him, but he's perfectly capable of turning things around.