Thistle vs QotS Thread

Yellow & Redneck

Last week probably felt better than the actual performance. Yesterday probably not actually as bad as it felt. Overall down to the players. They weren't up to the mark on the day. Then again on another day we could easy have drawn if not won that match.

Lacking something, even just a leader, in the middle of the park.

Didn't come off for Cardle yesterday but at least he didn't hide. I think he'd benefit from playing on the left rather than the right if playing out wide.

Thaw actual back five did okay overall and I think that will be McCall's first choice defence for the time being. 

Issue is still midfield. If Robson is first choice left back will Ian revisit the James Penrice Experiment? 

Edited by jagfox

22 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Did the highlights clear up who was at fault?

It depends on who you want to blame! Should the cross have been allowed in the first place? Should the pass that led to the cross not have been avoided? 

In any case, once the cross came in, O'Ware was the one who literally crumbled under pressure. A shame McGinty's almost identical bullet header later went over the bar.

42 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Thought we were flat throughout the game yesterday, no spark to the play at all.

The game certainly showed up the weaknesses McCall will have to address. A defence prone to losing concentration; a midfield that doesn't create (or dominate the opposition); and a forward line that doesn't score goals.

So, no pressure then.

Without significant personnel changes, the best we can hope for is that he can coach an improvement into the defence - McGinty is the one who needs it most, but O'Ware has already shown he can be a class act.

I think Cole could be a quick fix for our midfield problems. Without wishing to scapegoat anyone, I'd replace Bannigan with Cole. I think we'd immediately start to create more, move the ball faster and start to put pressure on the opposition.

Cardle, Millar and Zanatta will hit shots in future games that go to the right side of the post. Seemed like yesterday was one of those days when we could have played until midnight and still not scored. Like others, I think Mansell should have been in the mix, but we might have to wait until January before that problem can be addressed.

I think it's too early to start being concerned about relegation. If we'd scored first yesterday, we would have won that game. There's not a team in this league that we're not capable of beating, even with the current squad. McCall has a power of work ahead of him, but he's perfectly capable of turning things around.

In our situation, McCall is the best manager we could have got. If he cant turn it around then League 1 it is and a rebuild.

I think we need to look mid term here rather than the game by game must win/must not lose mindset the fans are trapped in and the players it seems. I agree it's mainly upfront that we need to sort out. At one point I was thinking we need a Storey like player....who can actually score. Mansell? No thanks. There must be someone better than him who is unsigned. I'm sure McCall will turn this round but expecting a rollercoaster. Sort out the lack of home form and well be ok. 

12 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I am sure someone will be able to confirm but it was a bit later in the previous season before we hit the bottom and even with Caldwell in charge we were able to finish 6th so I would hope a better manager with longer to turn it around will be able to, at least, equal that.

McCall finished 6th* in 3 out of 4 seasons at the club. 

*we were 7th or 8th when he left.

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

Thought we were flat throughout the game yesterday, no spark to the play at all.

The game certainly showed up the weaknesses McCall will have to address. A defence prone to losing concentration; a midfield that doesn't create (or dominate the opposition); and a forward line that doesn't score goals.

So, no pressure then.

Without significant personnel changes, the best we can hope for is that he can coach an improvement into the defence - McGinty is the one who needs it most, but O'Ware has already shown he can be a class act.

I think Cole could be a quick fix for our midfield problems. Without wishing to scapegoat anyone, I'd replace Bannigan with Cole. I think we'd immediately start to create more, move the ball faster and start to put pressure on the opposition.

Cardle, Millar and Zanatta will hit shots in future games that go to the right side of the post. Seemed like yesterday was one of those days when we could have played until midnight and still not scored. Like others, I think Mansell should have been in the mix, but we might have to wait until January before that problem can be addressed.

I think it's too early to start being concerned about relegation. If we'd scored first yesterday, we would have won that game. There's not a team in this league that we're not capable of beating, even with the current squad. McCall has a power of work ahead of him, but he's perfectly capable of turning things around.

I think right from the start our defence gave QOS encouragement. In the 1st min, Dobbie glided past McGinty and seemed to make space every time he got the ball. In the 1st couple of minutes in the 2nd half, O’Ware went to head clear and completely missed the ball under no pressure. Throughout the game we couldn’t clear our lines.

I needed a night sleep to think about this game....

I disagree with Bunter, I thought QOS played well and deserved to win.

I have never thought that O’Ware/McGinty works  (still don’t) I saw  a lack of communication between them two and even with Fox...

Fox is a great shot stopper ....like him to command his area a bit more.

Brannigan huffs, puffs and works hard...can’t pass forward. ( lack of movement upfront ???)

Playing Cardle and Zanatta can’t cross a ball and stifled Robson and Williamson to go forward.

Miller - experience over pace and spring in the legs .....

It didn’t/won’t work unless he sits behind a striker who can do all his running.

A lot of work and a few goodbyes come the transfer window.

37 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I am sure someone will be able to confirm but it was a bit later in the previous season before we hit the bottom and even with Caldwell in charge we were able to finish 6th so I would hope a better manager with longer to turn it around will be able to, at least, equal that.

McCall has, I think 2 more games to “turn it round” than Caldwell, but he started on 7 points less. Archibald won 3 of the 1st 6 games, I think.

Wasn’t at the game, due to the fact that I only got out of hospital l on Thursday afternoon. It would seem that McCall’s main job is to stop os getting too detached until January. Then hopefully he can get shot of some of Caldwell’s dross and bring in some of his own players..

Between now and then  each player will quite simply be playing for their own futures. Regardless, omen thing has been obvious for 2/3 years Thistle definitely need someone to put the ball in the net and preferably an ability to hold the ball up and also bring others into play.

No big ask then.;)

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Last week probably felt better than the actual performance. Yesterday probably not actually as bad as it felt. Overall down to the players. They weren't up to the mark on the day. Then again on another day we could easy have drawn if not won that match.

Lacking something, even just a leader, in the middle of the park.

Didn't come off for Cardle yesterday but at least he didn't hide. I think he'd benefit from playing on the left rather than the right if playing out wide.

Thaw actual back five did okay overall and I think that will be McCall's first choice defence for the time being. 

Issue is still midfield. If Robson is first choice left back will Ian revisit the James Penrice Experiment? 

I realise this is like a stuck record with me but I don't believe Cardle should start a game unless he's played out on the left. It's maybe wrong of me to call Joe a one trick pony but cutting inside from the left and getting on his far stronger foot is his forte. As a winger he's limited insomuch that he rarely beats his man down either flank and when he does rarely gets a cross in. Can't say I've an opinion as to how effective Joe is when played more centrally 'cept he had a tendency to get caught on the ball too often. I'd imagine Slater will be preferred in that position, tho' he too has that same fault.

I'm glad to see that McCall has at least got Cardle and Zanatta switching wings now and again, a simple tactic that was way beyond Caldwell. I haven't as yet seen anything from Zanatta to suggest he could mirror Cardle in quality when switched down the right. If Dario can cause a bit of bother when playing out right all the better. Otherwise I can see one of pair being benched as an impact sub.

19 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Oware Robson banzo and Cole when he came on were really good

disappointing from zanatta today he is better than that

cardle tried as always but had a stinker

gordon and Williamson really poor - the way Williamson let himself be brushed off the ball at the end was ridiculous 

plenty of work for McCall to do though a draw would have been a fair result 

Agree entirely with the above. Few other observations I had were:

- DeVita has always been a decent player and a good pro, but he sadly looks every bit the ageing player coming back from a long injury layoff. 

- McCall clearly doesn’t fancy Mansell and it’s hard to disagree but we are very light up top (and he is on a two year deal so he won’t be easy to shift - Cheers Gary). 

- a shame we never managed to hold onto Fitzy as he and Zanatta would have given us incredible width. We look very lopsided and rely on Zanatta to take the game to teams alone. 

- somebody needs to have a word with Zanatta about his embarrassing attempts to win penalties. 

- another ex-player scores an important goal against us, we must be heading to some sort of record! 

We need to give McCall as much time as he needs as he has a real job on his hands. Agree with the point that this is long term rather than the next match being must win etc. 

• Like 3

McCall is by almost universal agreement the manager we wanted ..... it will take a little time for him to work things out but for  second summer in a row we gave been let down by poor player recruitment .... McCall’s comment yesterday that we have too many similar players is telling ..,we look down on the continental system of general managers / directors of football but it’s designed to recruit better players 

24 minutes ago, javeajag said:

McCall is by almost universal agreement the manager we wanted ..... it will take a little time for him to work things out but for  second summer in a row we gave been let down by poor player recruitment .... McCall’s comment yesterday that we have too many similar players is telling ..,we look down on the continental system of general managers / directors of football but it’s designed to recruit better players 

I was assuming that Maxi and Gerry B had always fulfilled the role of Director of Football first - then Club GM second