Thistle vs QotS Thread

Yellow & Redneck

16 minutes ago, alexander livingstone said:

If that is the case surely Gerry had to takea lot of responsibility for the duds that Caldwell signed

Things may have changed but Maxi was in the Press talking about how they used the latest recruitment software on stats etc to identify and recruit players  - I assumed they want someone similar to the role Maxi filled when they recruited Gerry - lets put it this way Caldwell wouldn't know who Gary Harkins was when we signed him ? 

11 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Can we just nip this one in the bid. Both Maxi and Gerry's role was/is to deal with agents, clubs and football authorities to get the players the manager has identified as being ones he wants. I would always remind people who use the word assume of the wise old saying about what it makes you and me.

Thats incorrect - Maxi clearly did a Press Interview showboating the software used to identify players   

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Thats incorrect - Maxi clearly did a Press Interview showboating the software used to identify players   

My understanding is that Maxi and Archie would discuss players and I don't think that would come as as shock to anyone but Archie always had the final say on any signing. With regard to Harkins I am sure you will remember that Caldwell stated he spoke to Brian Kerr about him as they played together at Dundee.

4 hours ago, Flycatcher said:

I needed a night sleep to think about this game....

I disagree with Bunter, I thought QOS played well and deserved to win.

I have never thought that O’Ware/McGinty works  (still don’t) I saw  a lack of communication between them two and even with Fox...

Fox is a great shot stopper ....like him to command his area a bit more.

Brannigan huffs, puffs and works hard...can’t pass forward. ( lack of movement upfront ???)

Playing Cardle and Zanatta can’t cross a ball and stifled Robson and Williamson to go forward.

Miller - experience over pace and spring in the legs .....

It didn’t/won’t work unless he sits behind a striker who can do all his running.

A lot of work and a few goodbyes come the transfer window.

Yes, I was a bit concerned that that was his view of the game too. I thoroughly dispute that deserved a draw or 'we played better in the second half' no, once they scored, the opposition sat back and let us play tip-tap for the rest of the  afternoon as many teams have done who have come to Firhill recently and taken three points; we are so slow and predictable for most of the time, and have little threat up front, that it's easy to do (as McCall himself has done in recent visits).

Can't see room for Zannatta and Cardle in the same team, but I liked Lawrie/McQuade changeover though it didn't produce anything.  Given Dallas was officiating, Zanatta was lucky not to get booked for this theatrical dive, which fooled no one.

As for Bannigan, plenty of activity, little progress, now got to the point where frankly, I think he's 'shot it'. Cole looks stronger every game.

Definitely some tearful farewells in January.

43 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

My understanding is that Maxi and Archie would discuss players and I don't think that would come as as shock to anyone but Archie always had the final say on any signing. With regard to Harkins I am sure you will remember that Caldwell stated he spoke to Brian Kerr about him as they played together at Dundee.

Im not saying they didnt and any Manager always has the Final say over Director of Football 

However as Harkins would suggest Gerry B is part of the recruitment process - otherwise we wouldn't be using a former Pro in that role - if he was simply the General Manager then we would have recruited  a Non Football person - therefore as I said both Maxi & Gerry unlike most Clubs filled a Director of Football Role similar to that suggested by Javea Jag 

12 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Im not saying they didnt and any Manager always has the Final say over Director of Football 

However as Harkins would suggest Gerry B is part of the recruitment process - otherwise we wouldn't be using a former Pro in that role - if he was simply the General Manager then we would have recruited  a Non Football person - therefore as I said both Maxi & Gerry unlike most Clubs filled a Director of Football Role similar to that suggested by Javea Jag 

I don't really want to get in to a prolonged discussion on this but based on discussions I had with Maxi when he was in his role and with Gerry my impression is that they don't perform a Director of Football role. Anyway if I have been able to get you and Javeajag to agree then I will be expecting a nice trip when I go to collect my Nobel Peace Prize!

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Tell you what that Gerry Britton is a busy guy , Chief Executive , General Manager , Director of Football , Interim First Team Coach , even turned out in Dools testimonial.

Our very own “ Super hero “

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't really want to get in to a prolonged discussion on this but based on discussions I had with Maxi when he was in his role and with Gerry my impression is that they don't perform a Director of Football role. Anyway if I have been able to get you and Javeajag to agree then I will be expecting a nice trip when I go to collect my Nobel Peace Prize!

I love him....really. 

I realise I am in the minority, but I did think we deserved something from the game. QOS were better in the first half, but I felt we were better in the second. As others have said we are short up front and although Mansell doesn't score a lot of goals, I feel we should have him on the bench for games like yesterday when we needed somebody upfront to help Miller.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The point I was trying to make was that here in Spain and much of the continent the manager/coach is not solely responsible for the players that are signed.....our last two summer transfer windows have been poor to say the least 

I remember watching an interview with Bobby Robson when he was at Barcelona and he said his job was to coach the first team....he would sometimes watch their B team if one of the coaches thought there was a player who might make the step up and he would tell the director of football I need say a right sided midfielder player and he would come back with potential players ....he said he had no idea what ant player earned and had no involvement in their contracts .....interesting 

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I realise I am in the minority, but I did think we deserved something from the game. QOS were better in the first half, but I felt we were better in the second. As others have said we are short up front and although Mansell doesn't score a lot of goals, I feel we should have him on the bench for games like yesterday when we needed somebody upfront to help Miller.

Had we equalised or won the game I don't think anyone could have said it would have been a steal for us.

Players still lacking confidence - we havn't had a good period of winning at home and playing comfortably for a number of years now.

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

Had we equalised or won the game I don't think anyone could have said it would have been a steal for us.

Players still lacking confidence - we havn't had a good period of winning at home and playing comfortably for a number of years now.

Agree. Our home league form needs to improve. Next 3 home games are Arbroath, Morton and Alloa, should be looking to get 9 points from them.

Disappointing result on Saturday but for me there’s already signs of change in our style of play. We’re more direct and look to get the ball forward far sooner. I don’t think we defended badly on Saturday but we are short of options up front. The criticism bannigan gets is OTT. Thought we should have had a pen and overall did not deserve to lose. 

2 hours ago, ironfist said:

Disappointing result on Saturday but for me there’s already signs of change in our style of play. We’re more direct and look to get the ball forward far sooner. I don’t think we defended badly on Saturday but we are short of options up front. The criticism bannigan gets is OTT. Thought we should have had a pen and overall did not deserve to lose. 

Even under Caldwell, the games where we pushed quickly forward and drove at the opposition were the ones we won (accidental alliteration!).

The problem was the default seemed to be that we sat back and passed sideways. The question is, if that is the way this bunch of players naturally play can Ian McCall coach it out of them? Because Gary Caldwell didn't look as though he could.

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

The point I was trying to make was that here in Spain and much of the continent the manager/coach is not solely responsible for the players that are signed.....our last two summer transfer windows have been poor to say the least 

I remember watching an interview with Bobby Robson when he was at Barcelona and he said his job was to coach the first team....he would sometimes watch their B team if one of the coaches thought there was a player who might make the step up and he would tell the director of football I need say a right sided midfielder player and he would come back with potential players ....he said he had no idea what ant player earned and had no involvement in their contracts .....interesting 

I once met Bobby Robson on a plane, and I recommended Quentin Jacobs to him. He wrote down the name and said he'd get him checked out!:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ironfist said:

Agree with this. Defensively we look a bit tighter than under GC and there was a passing move first half that rather than just been a side to side was a move up and down both wings that eventually ended in Zannata getting a decent ball into the box that Gordon just failed to convert.

I think McCall is correct in saying the team is still nervous and that also applies to the fans which in turn means guys like Bannigan get more criticsim than he's due. Apart from one bad tackle I struggle to think of much he did wrong. He perhaps could have been quicker to move the ball forward in the second half but there weren't a lot of options in front of him as QOS were pretty tight defensively.

Overall there was very little between us and QOS and on another day we win that. I thought we should have had a penalty when Gordon goes around the keeper and at that point if we score I think we go onto win.

We have a decent attacking plan A and if we score first we'll probably win but with the options on the bench we have no attacking plan B so if we go behind we'll struggle.

• Like 1

From what I saw, before the final-gasp onslaught on the QoS goal, there was an attack on our goal, and the fear from our players was almost palpable. Confidence is severly lacking, and it showed in being second to every loose ball (if they get there at all) and so many letting themselves be closed down or even dispossessed in midfield. The introduction of Cole turned it round there. Bannigan favours his left foot so much that when he's closed down he doesn't even bother looking to both wings for options.

Not getting the Bannigan hate. Of the starting midfielders he was the only one who showed for the ball. My concern is more how ineffective Gordon and Palmer were, yet to really see either of them really offer us.

Cole looked like a proper football when he came on, his range and weight of passing looks well above our level

Didn't think Bannigan had a great game by any means but amazing how quick folk forget his performance at Inverness. What both the player and the management team need to concentrate on is what went right the week before. The positive being that Bannigan isn't a spent force even if we've only one game to go on. If there's a negative it is his inability as a senior player to lead and maybe requires to be led.

I was surprised Cole didn't start on Saturday but I was also quite surprised he didn't start at Inverness as well. Guess  McCall went with the team performance ahead of Cole's individual performance during the week. Personally think a Cole/Banzo partnership in central midfield is well worth trying. Doesn't of course deal with the lack of an out and out defensive mid, something I suspect will be on the shopping list come January. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

17 hours ago, javeajag said:

We are not Barcelona- yet!!