Caldwell Giving his side of the story

kevin energy

To be a success in management you must first have a grasp on man-management, the clue is in the title. sadly for everyone it was glaringly obvious this was not his strong point. He might have loads of contacts in the game, went round different clubs watching other coaching methods and even spoken to Alex Ferguson. his failure was not to get the players on board with his plan for the future. The way Doolan was treated in his testimonial year was Caldwell's end. The only way to come out of that shambles with any sort of credibility was skoosh teams away with barrowloads of goals..........yep. not a huge success. Gary might at the very least claim to have kept us up, I would suggest perhaps it was Scott MacDonald who saved us last season, without doubt Caldwell's best signing.......................apart from the wee boy from Falkirk.   

Stephen O'Donnell came across very well too. He spoke of some Thistle fans not giving McNamara any credit for the team he built all to suit there agenda.  

The Doolan scenario was completely unnecessary and put him under even more pressure from the fans than there needed to be. The manner of our defeat against Morton was disastrous.

• Like 1

He said McCall has won only 2 games out of 5 so things haven't improved........  This went unchallenged.  It's 2 out of 4 and one of them was Celtic away, so don't let the facts get in the way, eh

To finish off he said he's better suited to managing Scotland than PTFC because he played 55 times at international and no games in the championship....  Why they give this delusional windbag air time is beyond me 

One more - he said the decision to get rid of Doolan was a club decision with others involved. Yet on other topics he says as the manager he made all the decisions.. He is a real bullsh*tter.

Edited by JAG1970

4 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

He said McCall has won only 2 games out of 5 so things haven't improved........  This went unchallenged.  It's 2 out of 4 and one of them was Celtic away, so don't let the facts get in the way, eh

To finish off he said he's better suited to managing Scotland than PTFC because he played 55 times at international and no games in the championship....  Why they give this delusional windbag air time is beyond me 

One more - he said the decision to get rid of Doolan was a club decision with others involved. Yet on other topics he says as the manager he made all the decisions.. He is a real bullsh*tter.

Effectively it is 2 out of 3 as he was just in the door before Celtic. I miss Caldwell for the exciting debates he brought on here.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Stephen O'Donnell came across very well too. He spoke of some Thistle fans not giving McNamara any credit for the team he built all to suit there agenda.  

The Doolan scenario was completely unnecessary and put him under even more pressure from the fans than there needed to be. The manner of our defeat against Morton was disastrous.

I genuinely have never met, or seen a post from, a single Thistle fan that does not credit McNamara for assembling a great team. I honestly think on that, we are all in agreement (I 'm happy to be corrected).

Many criticise McNamara on the timing of his departure and many more on his actions (specifically in term of expecting a bonus) after his departure.

Many more (including me) are of the opinion that his tactical ability was not sufficient to obtain promotion. This is based on our absolutely dire away record that season at the point of his departure (I was at most of these games and we were truly awful in many of them- 1 goal scored in total away to Airdrie, Hamilton, Dumbarton and Falkirk in a very short space of time). I think the "away only" form table at the date of his departure had us second bottom. This clearly was not going to win us promotion when only one spot was available.

But everyone agrees, I think, that the group of players he assembled was great.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

And with Caldwell's squad with all confidence coached out of them.

Edited by BowenBoys

Was disappointed with O'Donnell's comments, the side of the player is always given but never the supporters.

As a fan of Thistle I am well aware of the role McNamara and Donnelly had in putting together a great group of players and playing style.

But the way he left the club with no regard for the fans was very poor, that is the reason he takes stick.

Look at Erskine, treat us with respect and we will do the same for you, regardless of where you go after.

Only thing Caldwell said that was interesting was that when he arrived  +6 players were skipping training pretending they were injured after each game, it looked like that on the pitch for the last season of Archies first spell.

Not listened to the interview but presume this is a reasonable synopsis https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-caldwell-defends-partick-thistle-20636873

I love the logic about being better suited to international management. And to think some folk thought Gary was humourless.

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I genuinely have never met, or seen a post from, a single Thistle fan that does not credit McNamara for assembling a great team. I honestly think on that, we are all in agreement (I 'm happy to be corrected).

Many criticise McNamara on the timing of his departure and many more on his actions (specifically in term of expecting a bonus) after his departure.

Many more (including me) are of the opinion that his tactical ability was not sufficient to obtain promotion. This is based on our absolutely dire away record that season at the point of his departure (I was at most of these games and we were truly awful in many of them- 1 goal scored in total away to Airdrie, Hamilton, Dumbarton and Falkirk in a very short space of time). I think the "away only" form table at the date of his departure had us second bottom. This clearly was not going to win us promotion when only one spot was available.

But everyone agrees, I think, that the group of players he assembled was great.

McNamara's competitive record away from home is W10  D10  L15.    F42  A46.     Last 10 matches :-   W2  D4  L4.    F8  A12.

I agree that most fans "turned" on him following his antics about his contract.

As I say I haven't heard the interview and it's probably just a coincidence that SOD was bigging up McNamara. As a f k points out our away record was poor under McNamara (would most likely have cost us promotion had it continued when AA took over). The most noticeable change in tactics under Archie affected SOD & ATS. Both would check their runs around the half way line rather than previously when they would just bomb on regardless. Didn't mean they didn't still get forward but they were more careful.

I wouldn't heap too much praise on Archie but at the same time SOD was around that time a poor defender, often drawing Muirhead or Balatoni out of position to cover. When he left us he was a more than reasonable right back defensively. SOD obviously will be grateful to McNamara for his initial breakthrough but at the same time had Jackie stayed at Firhill or SOD followed him to Tannadice it's possible his career wouldn't have taken off to the same extent as it has done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I listened to all of it, and I think you can sum GC up as:-

Positives > a nice man who means well, knows management theory well.

Negatives > can be mendacious with regards to player movements, has a selective memory, has poor man management skills, a complete fantasist with regards his worth to football.

Listened to the whole interview as well.

If I was not a Thistle fan and had just heard this with no real knowledge of what went on i might think- Yeh he has a point. Was not given a whole lot of time; talks well; is clearly intelligent and Ido not doubt he works hard and has total belief in his methods.

Sadly the fact is he is no good at managing a football club. He clearly struggles with man management, empathy and  understanding.

You can have all the theories you want but if you do not have the players on board, it is never going to work.

Sounded to me like a pitch by the bold Gary for his next job application- Power- point at the ready. I am sure some other unsuspecting Chairman will be taken in by his smooth talking. God pity them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

If I was not a Thistle fan and had just heard this with no real knowledge of what went on i might think- Yeh he has a point. Was not given a whole lot of time; talks well; is clearly intelligent and Ido not doubt he works hard and has total belief in his methods.

Sadly the fact is he is no good at managing a football club. He clearly struggles with man management, empathy and  understanding.

You can have all the theories you want but if you do not have the players on board, it is never going to work.

Sounded to me like a pitch by the bold Gary for his next job application- Power- point at the ready. I am sure some other unsuspecting Chairman will be taken in by his smooth talking. God pity them.

That's exactly right. After listening to him I'd be completely on his side ... if I'd never actually watched any of the games his team played.

But the way he spoke about taking responsibility as manager (and didn't he say it would all be on him at the meet-the-manager nights) only to now abrogate the sacking of Doolan onto other individuals at the club is pretty poor form.

Also, just because players at the club don't want to be unprofessional by publicly explaining why they think you're shite doesn't mean it's all a "fabrication." How he treats players is something Caldwell should seriously consider if he is ever to actually manage elsewhere.

But, it's all over and done with, as Charlie and Craig might say.

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

I agree with 90% of what you say, but honestly, I don't think any sensible Chairman would have him anywhere near his [or her] club. It is unfortunate for the guy, but in management terms he would be best described as a liability. That, 'give me a full season and I can get you promotion' argument he seemed to be alluding to, is the sign of a deluded man.

6 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I agree with 90% of what you say, but honestly, I don't think any sensible Chairman would have him anywhere near his [or her] club. It is unfortunate for the guy, but in management terms he would be best described as a liability. That, 'give me a full season and I can get you promotion' argument he seemed to be alluding to, is the sign of a deluded man.

Agree. Any other club looking to employ him need just look at the position he left Thistle, Chesterfield and even Wigan in.