Tell Me Why I Should Start Going Back To Firhill?

The Legend Blows

I've been supporting Thistle for the last 23 years, going to mostly home games. I've done 1 full season(Dundee Utd playoff relegation season including all cup games). I've had a season ticket the last 2 seasons and went to a lot of away games. This season I chucked it after Cowdenbeath. I'm sure there's loads like me, but now that Cowan and Hughes are going should this be enough to get me back or will I be subjected to the same old sheoite week in week out? I see light at the end of the tunnel but I still don't see us avoiding relegation. Am I wrong?

I believe you are wrong. We won't be relegated, the players have shown against Dundee and against Falkirk in the cup (albeit that we did lose in the end) that if they play at a high tempo and close down the opposition we can dominate games and play some good football.

There has been an undoubted cloud hanging over Firhill for years, the creators of this cloud have announced their departure, the patronising of the fans will hopefully now be gone and with a new wave of enthusiasm and everyone pulling in the same direction things will improve off and on the park.

Every one of us has our part to play inhelping the club get back on it's feet again. That includes you and though this season will be an up and down one on the park it's nothing new as life as a Jags fan. Get yourself back to Firhill, stick with it and McCall will start to get it right and we will get the results on the board soon, hopefully starting this Saturday in what should be a tough but entertaining game with hopefully a victory at the end of it.

There are two quite distinct issues here:

1. the way that the club is run and the disconnect between the fans and the board of directors -- I am certain that this has driven some people away and killed the enthusiasm of many others; and

2. the performance of the team on the park, which has no doubt encouraged some to take the view that if it's not entertaining to watch, then they don't want to waste £17 and their afternoon being subjected to it.

If you fall into the latter category, then it's something of a catch 22. The more who agree with you and the fewer who turn up on a Saturday, the smaller the playing budget and the poorer the quality of player we can attract. There are also clearly question marks surrounding the long term sustainability of a business which can't entice enough punters through the gate to enable them to break even.

If you fall into the first category, then it can be very difficult to let go of past slights and embrace change. That's no criticism, it's just human nature. Rightly or wrongly, I do however believe that there is a real message of change coming from the Club. They say that they want to make sure the supporters are at the heart of that process, and I for one am prepared to work with the Club board to achieve it. We asked for some evidence that this was more than hot air and empty promises, and to a certain extent, we've seen the Club board deliver on that. There is more to come, and I hope over the coming weeks, we'll see further evidence, but we are working on the same page at last.

Should you come back to Firhill? Yes, I think so, but nobody can make that decision for you. Will the football be any better? Probably not for a while at least, but many of us have lived through the dross served up in the 80s. I can cope with a period of adjustment on the park if we have a solid and sustainable football club off the park.

At the end of the day, it's your call.

I Have been unable to attend this season due to work committments (Annan excluded)..but it appears i have been quite lucky in this respect...we have been utter shegite for the best part of a year now..i don't what people expected this year..as we have the same team more or less who were torture to watch last season and the same manager!

To get back to the question of course you should go back...as soon as time permits I will be back to watch my team whether we are bottom of the league or up near the top

Edited by Chicofan

I Have been unable to attend this season due to work committments (Annan excluded)..but it appears i have been quite lucky in this respect...we have been utter shegite for the best part of a year now..i don't what people expected this year..as we have the same team more or less who were torture to watch last season and the same manager!

To get back to the question of course you should go back...as soon as time permits I will be back to watch my team whether we are bottom of the league or up near the top

You say last season we were torture to watch. Were we not one of the most entetaining sides in the league till about new year? Yes there have been plenty of poor games in 2010...some have even been torture......but certainly not all of them. I think this is may be where people have struggled with the loss of form in 2010.....because in the first half of last season the team was playing some of the best football we had seen from a thistle side in recent times. This is one reason i'm in the camp that if it can burn bad so quickly, maybe just maybe, it can turn good just as quick.

You say last season we were torture to watch. Were we not one of the most entetaining sides in the league till about new year? Yes there have been plenty of poor games in 2010...some have even been torture......but certainly not all of them. I think this is may be where people have struggled with the loss of form in 2010.....because in the first half of last season the team was playing some of the best football we had seen from a thistle side in recent times. This is one reason i'm in the camp that if it can burn bad so quickly, maybe just maybe, it can turn good just as quick.

we were good first 7/8 games of the season after that our opponents sussed how to play us and apart from the united cup game we have been bloody awful....i read a post previously we have lost 18 or 19 of our last 25....form that got DC the sack

I fall pretty much into the "drifted away" supporter category - mainly due to domestic issues etc. However, I have always tried to get along to a few matches every season. Unfortunately now, even when I have the opportunity to go, I no longer feel the emotional urge to attend and in trying to rationalise this I have come to the conclusion that the style of football on offer just isn't worth watching. By this I mean the "tippy tappy" nonsense that the team persist in playing. No disrespect to the players but any time I have seen the current squad (admittedly not frequent but often enough) they just do not seem to have the ability to play the kind of football the manager is trying to make them play. I don't know if this is some kind of vanity statement being made by the manager but it seems to be a constant irritating aspect of the type of football they try to play.

One comment at a game last season (I think it was v. QOS at Firhill) when 4 of them had tippy-tapped their way to squandering a good chance, an old bloke behind me muttered "just put yer foot through the f#####g ball". Strangely for all the attempted sophistication of what the players were attempting to do it was the more luddite approach that might have produced a goal. I'm all for good attractive football but sometimes the end result is as important (or am I looking back on the Auld era with rose tinted specs?).

What I really am trying to say is that regardless of how strong the emotional pull is to start attending on a more regular basis the end product might just have to be one which engenders a bit of excitement..................... I'd rather see the team having a go and losing perhaps by a couple of goals than tippy-tapping their way through a game and still losing by the odd goal or even drawing.

Why should you start going back to firhill?

Because you can!

Some of us would love to be able to get along to Firhill again every other week and revel in the highs and lows, the anguish, the loathing, the joy, the despair. I'd probably have a pie too. :unsure:

It’s called ‘distance-lends-enchantment-to-the-view’ syndrome, fortunately it’s relatively harmless. It probably also manifests itself in you having lots of tartan things in your house to remind of the place you decided not to stay in. and on a day like today, you can say to yourself, “thank fcuk I left that cold, wet, dark sh1tehole of a place”.

For the record, delete 'the highs' and 'the joy'.

Edited by Semi Nurainen

It’s called ‘distance-lends-enchantment-to-the-view’ syndrome, fortunately it’s relatively harmless. It probably also manifests itself in you having lots of tartan things in your house to remind of the place you decided not to stay in. and on a day like today, you can say to yourself, “thank fcuk I left that cold, wet, dark sh1tehole of a place”.

:lol:

For the record, delete 'the highs' and 'the joy'.

:lol: :lol:

Not quite. I, unfortunately, have no rose tinted specs on when it comes to Thistle. Went to my 1st game in 12 years when I was back home for a visit last year. They lost. At home. To Airdrie. I'd still like to be able to go and see them though.

...and there is no tartan in my house. Or shortbread. :)

Edited by NZ Jag