vs. Ayr United

Jaggernaut

3 hours ago, ironfist said:

The players are absolutely honking- they have had far too many chances. McCall is a proven manager at this level and he will be given time 

I think he will be given time too. Up till now we are just about in touch with 8th & 9th. I am a little concerned that his criticism of the players and threat that their jobs are on the line might have a negative impact and we are out of touch come January.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Understandable as he has the balancing act of trying to get the best out of them, while simultaneously mentally moving most of then on from January onwards. 

I hope so. We've had 3 years of utter misery, if Bunter can't deliver us from this evil, I don't know who can.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think he will be given time too. Up till now we are just about in touch with 8th & 9th. I am a little concerned that his criticism of the players and threat that their jobs are on the line might have a negative impact and we are out of touch come January.

Can it be any more negative than what they have been doing this season and much of last? Too many are showing they couldn’t care less about the club anyway so I wouldn’t be accepting their we are not going to try because big bad McCall is giving us an ultimatum.

They are football players and quite frankly if they don’t realise that putting in appalling performances means you could be in danger of being released from the club then they are deluded

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Can it be any more negative than what they have been doing this season and much of last? Too many are showing they couldn’t care less about the club anyway so I wouldn’t be accepting their we are not going to try because big bad McCall is giving us an ultimatum.

They are football players and quite frankly if they don’t realise that putting in appalling performances means you could be in danger of being released from the club then they are deluded

Agreed - and a number of these guys need to realise that if they get released from a team bottom of the Championship, their full time football career is as good as over and they will need to go and work in the real world. 

• Like 1

As much as Saturday was desperate I still think we have the right manager and management team. The only real question is can he get enough points out of the current playing squad to give us a chance of staying in the league.

I watched Morton against Dundee on Friday night and they have a similiar lack of balance in their playing squad. They look weak at rightback, slow in central defence and with limited striking options. They were playing fairly direct football. However they put their bodys on the line and scrapped against Dundee and almost stole a point. If we were able to match the physical endeavour we should have enough quality to win but right now we lack heart and commitment.

I hope this weeks training consists of showing our players how to get in the oppositions faces and show more aggression.

In attack I've been wondering why Miller has not been getting chance and I wonder if it doesn't suit him playing with wingers and trying to get on the end of corners. From memory he's always been someone who scored from getting in behind defences. Morton's defence are not the quickest so perhaps we should be dropping the wingers and trying to get the ball in behind.

As alluded to in the previous post it’s the lack of heart and desire that’s most worrying. These players are utter shite and they themselves will know that. This team has been devoid of heart, spirit and desire for 2 years now. Fox is like a boy you see playing student Sunday league. Just dives about and gets nothing on it. Mansell is out his depth. And that’s our abysmal level of football. De vita useless. Bannigan totally done. Saunders and Williamson are honking. Powderpuff. There can be few walks of life where people so useless can actually earn some sort of living. Imagine these guys working air traffic control. All the planes would be flying into each other above the airport as they were taking off and landing 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

They more often than not get another club, though - so maybe they don’t care that much. Not many players have a real connection to a particular club. 

49 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

They more often than not get another club, though - so maybe they don’t care that much. Not many players have a real connection to a particular club. 

At the very least should some sort of pride in their performance not be expected ? We have had some good results this season. Ross County( league cup) Inverness and Dundee in the league. Against Nomads in challenge cup we were never in trouble. So there is a team in there somewhere. Lets hope McCall can get results until January and make the required changes.

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

At the very least should some sort of pride in their performance not be expected ? We have had some good results this season. Ross County( league cup) Inverness and Dundee in the league. Against Nomads in challenge cup we were never in trouble. So there is a team in there somewhere. Lets hope McCall can get results until January and make the required changes.

I agree with your post. I was just saying that challenging the players publicly doesn’t always work out. It all depends on their character !(Caldwellism)

28 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Why would we expect a response the next game? When  have these failures and losers shown they can respond to anything? They’re utter garbage. Shite footballers with no heart or desire. Wasters every one of them

C'mon, I know we're all pissed off about Saturday, but a bit of perspective - these same players won at Inverness and Dundee. They're perfectly capable of putting in a shift. It's up to McCall to get that from them.

And then we can replace some of them in January...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

C'mon, I know we're all pissed off about Saturday, but a bit of perspective - these same players won at Inverness and Dundee. They're perfectly capable of putting in a shift. It's up to McCall to get that from them.

The perspective is that the goalkeeper is a bombscare, the defence is awful, the midfield is leaderless and toothless and up front we have nothing. 

2 hours ago, Kingleo said:

Why would we expect a response the next game? When  have these failures and losers shown they can respond to anything? They’re utter garbage. Shite footballers with no heart or desire. Wasters every one of them

I've never believed that players dont try or are *shite* at professional level. Some are simply not good enough for our aspirations at the time ( insert league to suit ). Then again I didn't actually see the game on Saturday otherwise I may be a little more animated! 

24 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

The perspective is that the goalkeeper is a bombscare, the defence is awful, the midfield is leaderless and toothless and up front we have nothing. 

Indeed. Add to that we are bottom of the league without a home win after 12 games, and I am intrigued to know what other 'perspective' there can possibly be.

19 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Watched the highlights. Harkins looked like somebody plucked from the terracing and given a strip.

Frightening thing is if we were forced to name a Jags player as MotM then Harkins may well have been in with a shout.

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

This is true. On occasions they've shown some fight and cohesion, even moved the ball about at pace a couple of times.  In reality since the start of the league season we've gone one step forward, two steps backward as opposed to a steady decline.

You rightly say "we can replace some of them in January". The emphasis being on "some" and the first unknown is of course how many is some. We know the loan players due to leave in January and that Hall's contract is up. Personally I don't think any of those four are major contributors to our demise and I wouldn't be shocked if we seek loan extensions to two of them.     From talking to many fans and also posts on here it's clear to me that we wouldn't agree who the worst offenders are should we be able to say move on three or four. Just who will be on their way is the second unknown.

There's at least twelve players contracted past January who if they were to leave wouldn't be much of a surprise. It also means that maybe as many as ten of this largely under-performing dozen will still be with us all season. With that in mind we've gotta hope McCall can get a side together that can play more often at least as a team with a bit of dig and determination about them. On occasions we've shown it's possible.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 hours ago, sandy said:

I think McCall was right to warn the players about January. Expect a response from the team in our next game. 

You have to wonder whether he is privately revising a number public statements, such as 'with the squad we have we shouldn't be bottom of the league', and 'Bannigan is the best midfielder in the division (ouch!), and is now wondering whether coming back to Firhill was a remotely sensible personal option.

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Frightening thing is if we were forced to name a Jags player as MotM then Harkins may well have been in with a shout.

This is true. On occasions they've shown some fight and cohesion, even moved the ball about at pace a couple of times.  In reality since the start of the league season we've gone one step forward, two steps backward as opposed to a steady decline.

You rightly say "we can replace some of them in January". The emphasis being on "some" and the first unknown is of course how many is some. We know the loan players due to leave in January and that Hall's contract is up. Personally I don't think any of those four are major contributors to our demise and I wouldn't be shocked if we seek loan extensions to two of them.     From talking to many fans and also posts on here it's clear to me that we wouldn't agree who the worst offenders are should we be able to say move on three or four. Just who will be on their way is the second unknown.

There's at least twelve players contracted past January who if they were to leave wouldn't be much of a surprise. It also means that maybe as many as ten of this largely under-performing dozen will still be with us all season. With that in mind we've gotta hope McCall can get a side together that can play more often at least as a team with a bit of dig and determination about them. On occasions we shown it's possible.

The pattern hasn't changed at all since Bunter's arrival - one spectacular result followed by several absolute stinkers. That's the worrying bit.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, laukat said:

Glad to hear McCall on the radio telling the players they have until January. Sounded like a man who's patience had ran out and he was indicating that he'll need more than 2 or 3 he originally thought.

Assuming he gets some in the real question is how to make the current lot get some points on the board before then so we don't get isolated.

I think he needs to look at a few changes and maybe go for something like this

Fox

Williamson-Saunders-McGinty-Robson

Slater- Palmer -Penrice - Bannigan

Harkins

Miller

We're starting games with all our attacking options on and very little way of changing it so I think Cardle and Zanatta need a turn on the bench. I think they'll provide more against tiring defences.

We've also got defensive problems protecting the right-back and centre-backs so perhaps Slater might better provide right sided cover and Penrice as a CDM might be worth a go. Bannigan needs released from his CDM duties so perhaps moving him left midfield frees him

Harkins may have no legs but he's probably out best chance at creating something so putting him behind Miller has to be worth a go.

Would drop Fox , Williamson and Miller from that line up.