vs. Ayr United

Jaggernaut

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Sorry but looking back with rose tinted glasses at players who are way past their best is not the answer.

I love Doolan and Erksine and feel they should have been kept on as squad players, if they would have accepted that, but they were part of gutless looking teams for two straight seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Watching highlights of various of our games, Miller seems to be playing wherever he wants when ever he wants. This must cause problems with tactics as your effectively setting up 10 players against 11. A lot of time there is no out ball as he’s floating about in Centre midfield when he should be holding the line keeping their back 4 back. When we do get an attack he’s not there as he’s drifted back or wide. He is a player that definitely has ability but it almost comes across as he’s a maverick “billy big time” who believes he’s better than anyone else and can decide what he wants to do regardless of managers tactics or impact onto his team mates.

In my opinion he’s a whining so and so.

I can't bear to watch any 'highlights' from that game yesterday. Feeling totally down this morning after that horror show.  

A lasting image from the game that sticks in my head, as I was making for the exit, was James Penrice firing in a decent cross at

pace which went nowhere near Mansell, the only player we had in the box. 

I've seen this so often from Thistle players over the years. I'm convinced they lump it into the box without even looking!

In complete contrast to Ayr, who attacked in numbers with options left and right which had our defenders spinning on their heels.

Lady luck was on our side yesterday keeping the Ayr goal tally at just four.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

We are all hoping to hold on till the January window ..but who is going to sign for us ,anybody that is better than we have got..

None of us know what IMcC has been told he can do with the squad in January. Maybe he has to wait and see what funds the new owners are going to put in! :angry:

Just watched the highlights and can scarcely believe how bad it looked. Bannigan misplacing a 5 yard pass for the 4th and a defender falling into the net as the ball heads in. Totally and utterly clueless. I took in Cowdenbeath v cove rangers yesterday and we’d struggle to beat either of them. Fox is useless. The whole defence is a bombscare. I honestly wouldn’t keep any of them. McCall must be wondering what he’s done. It must feel like he’s walked out the head chefs position at the savoy to take a gig frying chips at McDonald’s. Everything about the club is an utter shambles. Fair play to anyone who can turn up to watch that. I know I couldn’t 

• Like 1

Glad to hear McCall on the radio telling the players they have until January. Sounded like a man who's patience had ran out and he was indicating that he'll need more than 2 or 3 he originally thought.

Assuming he gets some in the real question is how to make the current lot get some points on the board before then so we don't get isolated.

I think he needs to look at a few changes and maybe go for something like this

Fox

Williamson-Saunders-McGinty-Robson

Slater- Palmer -Penrice - Bannigan

Harkins

Miller

We're starting games with all our attacking options on and very little way of changing it so I think Cardle and Zanatta need a turn on the bench. I think they'll provide more against tiring defences.

We've also got defensive problems protecting the right-back and centre-backs so perhaps Slater might better provide right sided cover and Penrice as a CDM might be worth a go. Bannigan needs released from his CDM duties so perhaps moving him left midfield frees him

Harkins may have no legs but he's probably out best chance at creating something so putting him behind Miller has to be worth a go.

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

If Scott Fox is in goals next week then god help us, yes our defence forward is shocking but pretty much every week he is slow to react to shots. And what is with that silly jump he does before diving...it slows his reaction times down even further!

Can't argue with that in so much as Fox deserves to be dropped. The alternative tho' isn't that rosy either due to Sneddon's relative age and inexperience. These factors shouldn't of course matter and are only relevant as the lad will be behind two* bumbling, dithering, non communicative centrebacks.  So I won't be over critical of McCall if he sticks with Fox.

*What might well happen is he opts for three bumbling ,dithering centrebacks by bringing in O'Ware who is at least more vocal & communicative. That might be more conducive to playing Sneddon in goals.  Reverting to a back three is a negative approach to a home game but having a right back who doesn't tackle it may be the better option. 

The only crumb of comfort I can see is we've only one more game to go till we get a break from league duties. The two cup games will at least buy McCall some time to get some semblance of a team/formation together. 

Not saying that he would have changed the world, but why was Kakay not brought off the bench against Dundee United and not even in the squad for Ayr? Is he injured?

He is a decent player, especially going forward, and has some pace and trickery which opens up defences. 

Given so many poor performances by others over the past week, I would personally start Kakay, but at the very least I would want to him on the bench to provide an energetic option as the game develops.

Difficult to take anything positive from yesterday, but thought Slater put in a reasonable shift in a possibly unfamiliar wide role after he came on.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Glad to hear McCall on the radio telling the players they have until January. Sounded like a man who's patience had ran out and he was indicating that he'll need more than 2 or 3 he originally thought.

Assuming he gets some in the real question is how to make the current lot get some points on the board before then so we don't get isolated.

Fox

Harkins

Miller

We're starting games with all our attacking options on and very little way of changing it so I think Cardle and Zanatta need a turn on the bench. I think they'll provide more against tiring defences.

We've also got defensive problems protecting the right-back and centre-backs so perhaps Slater might better provide right sided cover and Penrice as a CDM might be worth a go. Bannigan needs released from his CDM duties so perhaps moving him left midfield frees him

Harkins may have no legs but he's probably out best chance at creating something so putting him behind Miller has to be worth a go.

It’s a dangerous game to give players an ultimatum. I remember Terry Butcher ? doing that at Hibs and he ended up getting the boot as performances continued to get worse. Maybe McCall is safe as he has just been appointed - but the current squad might be more demotivated and we are further adrift come January.

Edited by Lenziejag

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It’s a dangerous game to give players an ultimatum. I remember Terry Butcher ? doing that at Hibs and he ended up getting the boot as performances continued to get worse. Maybe McCall is safe as he has just been appointed - but the current squad might be more demotivated and we are further adrift come January.

The players are absolutely honking- they have had far too many chances. McCall is a proven manager at this level and he will be given time 

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Fox

Harkins

Miller

Agree that it may be an idea to introduce Harkins but that defence has three of the four from yesterday in it. I would be dropping all of them. Bring in Kakay, O'Ware Hall and Robson. Can't do any worse than that shower yesterday. 

Also, agree with others that Fox does not deserve his place but McCall will not see this as the time to bring Sneddon back in.

52 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Not saying that he would have changed the world, but why was Kakay not brought off the bench against Dundee United and not even in the squad for Ayr? Is he injured?

He is a decent player, especially going forward, and has some pace and trickery which opens up defences. 

Given so many poor performances by others over the past week, I would personally start Kakay, but at the very least I would want to him on the bench to provide an energetic option as the game develops.

Difficult to take anything positive from yesterday, but thought Slater put in a reasonable shift in a possibly unfamiliar wide role after he came on.

I assumed that Kakay was injured otherwise like you I can't see why he was not in the squad. Perhaps he didn't make an appearance on Tues night as Williamson had one of his better games and Cardle was seeing a lot of the ball for much of the game?  Could still have come on rather than Harkins or maybe to replace Zanatta (with Cardle moving wings).

As to yesterday I think Kakay if fit  surely would've been on the bench in place of, or at least ahead of Robson. We're weaker down the right than left and again Cardle can always move to the left if needs be. In any case McCall preferred to play Slater wide left so Robson wasn't even called on when he was the more appropriate sub.  Makes me think Kakay must've been carrying a knock and not 100% fit.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Fox

Harkins

Miller

Harkins came on yesterday,  ran 50 yards and probably should have scored, then for the next 10 mins was blowing out his arse ,  you couldn’t start with Harkins as players would just run off him.

A 10 min cameo as a Sub is the best we can hope for with Harkins 

2 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Just braved the Ayr highlights & apart from the 3rd goal (perhaps a deflection?) don't think he could have done much better. 

Done by placement in first & fourth and a free header 6 yards out for second. 

i watched the highlights too and what it showed as it also does in previous highlights is that he was too slow to react, watch it from behind the goals. The players hit their shots and the ball leaves their boot...fox then for some reason instead of diving does a silly jump and then dives. Kinda like what a keeper would do in training practice. He is not acting instinctivly he is acting long after the fact. I would put it down to our goalkeeping coach but no other keeper we have had does that. I never rated Fox in his first time with us but 2nd time around he seems to be a shadow of what he previously was.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Ye what? If he is decent then we really are bad

23 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

The manager's reaction bears a chillingly familiar resemblance to those of the previous incumbent.

Understandable as he has the balancing act of trying to get the best out of them, while simultaneously mentally moving most of then on from January onwards. 

3 hours ago, Kingleo said:

Just watched the highlights and can scarcely believe how bad it looked. Bannigan misplacing a 5 yard pass for the 4th and a defender falling into the net as the ball heads in. Totally and utterly clueless. I took in Cowdenbeath v cove rangers yesterday and we’d struggle to beat either of them. Fox is useless. The whole defence is a bombscare. I honestly wouldn’t keep any of them. McCall must be wondering what he’s done. It must feel like he’s walked out the head chefs position at the savoy to take a gig frying chips at McDonald’s. Everything about the club is an utter shambles. Fair play to anyone who can turn up to watch that. I know I couldn’t 

This season has for the most part been a poor spectator experience, PTFC need to remember they are in the entertainment business and have a plan for the rest of the season. This is my opinions

Plan A - get the team playing better defensively, ensure we will all our home games and don't get detached at the bottom of the table - this works till January, when the club bring in the correct players to stay in the Championship and the club start to mount some sort of a 'resurgence' [the management team need to be looking NOW to identify the correct players to bring in when we have the January window].  As a football club they have to be thinking [or at least considering] this season is a write-off.  After a quarter of the league games are completed, we are at the foot of the table by some margin!! [IMO we are playing so bad that to be only 2 points adrift is something of a bonus].  We now have to assume all of the teams in the league are capable of putting 3 or more goals past us if we continue to play the way we did against Arbroath and Ayr United. Plan A assumes we have the funds to get in the right sort of players for league survival

Plan B - Same as plan A but with a limited budget - Do we have younger player available that could be 'promoted' into the first team?

The sorry fact is we have been a poor, poor team for 24 months and the enthusiasm and optimism is beginning to dissipate from the support …. for sure there will be the 1000 or so die-hards who will go to every game regardless, but for the other 2000(ish) it is becoming a sh*t way to spend your Saturday. Before we hit rock bottom we have to hope IMC will put together a team that are worthy of wearing the shirt.

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
  • Like 2