Vs Morton

Paukea

big tam my motm by a mile

team captain surely

penrice first half excellent pushing forward, got a bad one later on but never gave up

cole and hall did well, certainly an improvement 

kakay got stuck right in over the ninety minutes

gordon when he came on scores with first touch

an exciting open game, great 3 points

onwards and upwards

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

At times, it was as ugly as it can get, but who cares. A neutral watching the game would probably say the result was never in any doubt; on another day Miller and McGinty score, we go in 2 up at half time and stroll the rest. Same old, same old with the equaliser right enough, and you think this is where we get pumped  3-1 again.

Oddly enough, after our second I thought we never looked like losing the game; backs to the wall, but we never panicked. Could see Banzo's red card coming a mile away, becoming a complete liability; though Kakay had his shaky moments in defending situations, Williamson will have a job on his hands getting the RB position back.

Bad night for Fox-hunters too, methinks.

Absence of skill was, for me, made up for by a bit of dig, especially towards at the end.

And a super-super-substitution from Bunter (though half a mark off for putting on Mansell instead of Cardle).

If that's the best Morton can do again our ten men ….

That was a big win today. I don't remember the last time a 10 man jags team scored 2 goals and won.

O'Ware looked like the leader that we've been missing at the back. Kakay was really good and I think his performance today will mean it will be a long time before we see Williamson again.

Hall looked a better fit if we continue to play 3 at the back and McGinty looks more comfortable in that system. Cole could have had a hatrick in the first half.

Clearly the manager pulled a stroke of genius by putting Gordon on but his other subs were also spot on and well timed. Slater brought a bit of energy when Cole was beginning to tire and Mansell plugged away when Miller had ran his course.

P.S. Chris Iwelumo will be relieved after todays game. Millers miss was worse than his. It was bad enough missing from so close with an empty net but how he managed to put the ball 40 yards in the wrong direction defies belief.

18 minutes ago, laukat said:

That was a big win today. I don't remember the last time a 10 man jags team scored 2 goals and won.

O'Ware looked like the leader that we've been missing at the back. Kakay was really good and I think his performance today will mean it will be a long time before we see Williamson again.

Hall looked a better fit if we continue to play 3 at the back and McGinty looks more comfortable in that system. Cole could have had a hatrick in the first half.

Clearly the manager pulled a stroke of genius by putting Gordon on but his other subs were also spot on and well timed. Slater brought a bit of energy when Cole was beginning to tire and Mansell plugged away when Miller had ran his course.

P.S. Chris Iwelumo will be relieved after todays game. Millers miss was worse than his. It was bad enough missing from so close with an empty net but how he managed to put the ball 40 yards in the wrong direction defies belief.

Great win today and thought Tam O’ware had his best game in a Thistle jersey, organised the defence and kept tabs on Sutton when he came on. If he plays like that every week he’s the Captain that we’ve been looking for .

I like Bannigan, l think he opens play and has a good range of passing which reminds me of the job Danny Lennon used to do for us. But the sending offs are getting too much. From the same area of the pitch, he got sent off today, against Ayr and, last season, Falkirk. It's a real pity because l would love to have seen him celebrate a win with the rest of the team at the end.  But getting sent off in a fairly safe area of the pitch is really damaging. I hope McCall manages to get it sorted because, across 90 minutes, you'll struggle to find a player less likely to hide or go missing than Stuart Bannigan.

Fact check and apology - Sorry, got mixed up with Bannigan and Harkins re: Falkirk sending off. It was only a yellow he got that day - sorry Stuart!

Edited by east end jag
Update
  • Like 3

Great result, which i thought we deserved. Morton were very poor. As has already been said we should have been 2 up at half time. How Miller missed an open goal i will never know. The second half started with Morton looking more up for it than they had in the first. Then Bannigan red, i felt Morton would go on to win it. Then McCall played his trump card and brought Gordon on. After they made it 1-1 i felt we would lose it, but we went ahead and credit to everybody in a Thistle jersey, we got the win. Special mention for Fox who had a couple of good saves to keep us 2-1 ahead.

1 hour ago, east end jag said:

I like Bannigan, l think he opens play and has a good range of passing which reminds me of the job Danny Lennon used to do for us. But the sending offs are getting too much. From the same area of the pitch, he got sent off today, against Ayr and, last season, Falkirk. It's a real pity because l would love to have seen him celebrate a win with the rest of the team at the end.  But getting sent off in a fairly safe area of the pitch is really damaging. I hope McCall manages to get it sorted because, across 90 minutes, you'll struggle to find a player less likely to hide or go missing than Stuart Bannigan.

Agree 100%. Was my favourite player in the promotion team which relied on him greatly to be able to play as it did. Real Thistle guy. But he has struggled in a bad team, and his mistimed tackles and completely unnecessary cards are a real problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Great result, which i thought we deserved. Morton were very poor. As has already been said we should have been 2 up at half time. How Miller missed an open goal i will never know. The second half started with Morton looking more up for it than they had in the first. Then Bannigan red, i felt Morton would go on to win it. Then McCall played his trump card and brought Gordon on. After they made it 1-1 i felt we would lose it, but we went ahead and credit to everybody in a Thistle jersey, we got the win. Special mention for Fox who had a couple of good saves to keep us 2-1 ahead.

Is this the first time we have won when playing a substantial amount of the game with less than a full compliment since the legendary Arbroath cup tie ?

I haven't had much enthusiasm for the current squad but I did think the selection and formation today was the best we have got.  First half we were ok - terrible miss by Miller...Cole looked a decent player.  Second half was great entertainment if not great quality football. I was too far away to judge the challenge by Banzo...he is a class above most of the rest of the team but these ill-judged tackles are happening too often.

The substitutes were spot on - Zanatta pretty ineffective and Cole barely lasted an hour. I am not convinced Gordon has that much to offer...but scored two well-taken goals. The team showed real spirit in defending with O'Ware immense, Fox making several good saves and Kakay more impressive in attitude and ability than I expected. We did ride our luck but we have failed to hold on to a lead so many times in the past 5 or 6 seasons so it was good to take the points...and Morton were very poor. 

Hall looked a bit slow and indecisive and McGinty wasn't much better...but the main problem is up front...Miller failed to hold up the ball or support attacks and the ironic cheers when he finally won a header after about 80 minutes summed it up...Zanatta and Mansell don' t look like goalscorers.

That was a good win though.

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Agree that Tam was good today, as were Penrice and Cole, but going to give my MOTM award to Kakay. Covered a lot of ground and showed pace, skill and heart. His run won the corner which led to the passage of play from which Gordon scored his second.

I agree that Kakay had a good game. He has a go at the opposition. However, he was way out of position when they scored. What was he doing away over on the left ?

12 minutes ago, Camallain said:

Is this the first time we have won when playing a substantial amount of the game with less than a full compliment since the legendary Arbroath cup tie ?

Good question.

I remember us coming from 0-2 to 2-2 v Stirling Albion with nine when Kevin Drinkell was their manager, however that's not a win.

There's likely to have been a couple of occasions this century when we've hung on. After all Danny Devine played for us.

Actually now that I think about it, Jamie Dolan (RIP) getting red carded v Ayr at Firhill Christmas 2001 (?) Martin Hardie scored the winner for 2-1.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, Camallain said:

They are on the way and I was nowhere near a pub..........however i am having a wee refreshment as I am working on the vids :thumbsup2:

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Good question.

I remember us coming from 0-2 to 2-2 v Stirling Albion with nine when Kevin Drinkell was their manager, however that's not a win.

There's likely to have been a couple of occasions this century when we've hung on. After all Danny Devine played for us.

Actually now that I think about it, Jamie Dolan (RIP) getting red carded v Ayr at Firhill Christmas 2001 (?) Martin Hardie scored the winner for 2-1.

In the Championship winning season we were 1-0 up vs Cove then Craig was sent off after 27 mins, we scored again through an OG, they scored late on but we won 2-1.

6 minutes ago, Camallain said:

Did Jamie not score an absolute screamer that day ?

Jamie only scored twice for us, but not that day.

He did score in the 2-0 win at Somerset a couple of months before. Fairly sure Paul Walker was the other scorer.

I think, but am not certain, that Danny Lennon was the other scorer v Ayr in the Christmas game.

25 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I haven't had much enthusiasm for the current squad but I did think the selection and formation today was the best we have got.  First half we were ok - terrible miss by Miller...Cole looked a decent player.  Second half was great entertainment if not great quality football. I was too far away to judge the challenge by Banzo...he is a class above most of the rest of the team but these ill-judged tackles are happening too often.

The substitutes were spot on - Zanatta pretty ineffective and Cole barely lasted an hour. I am not convinced Gordon has that much to offer...but scored two well-taken goals. The team showed real spirit in defending with O'Ware immense, Fox making several good saves and Kakay more impressive in attitude and ability than I expected. We did ride our luck but we have failed to hold on to a lead so many times in the past 5 or 6 seasons so it was good to take the points...and Morton were very poor. 

Hall looked a bit slow and indecisive and McGinty wasn't much better...but the main problem is up front...Miller failed to hold up the ball or support attacks and the ironic cheers when he finally won a header after about 80 minutes summed it up...Zanatta and Mansell don' t look like goalscorers.

That was a good win though.

Banzo May have previously been a class above but sadly this season nowhere near that.  While your entitled to your comment about Gordon I’d say he offers far more than banzo 

think your slightly harsh on hall given this was his first league game since Ayr at Firhill - he didn’t really do much wrong 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Banzo May have previously been a class above but sadly this season nowhere near that.  While your entitled to your comment about Gordon I’d say he offers far more than banzo 

think your slightly harsh on hall given this was his first league game since Ayr at Firhill - he didn’t really do much wrong 

Sometimes it's difficult to defend him but I still think Banzo has a lot to offer and would be a better player in a better team. 

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Jamie only scored twice for us, but not that day.

He did score in the 2-0 win at Somerset a couple of months before. Fairly sure Paul Walker was the other scorer.

I think, but am not certain, that Danny Lennon was the other scorer v Ayr in the Christmas game.

Checked the official history book and Dolan scored against Ayr on the 8th September 2001 at Firhill in a 2-1  win  which is obviously what I was thinking of!

Edited by Camallain
  • Thanks 1