Vs Morton

Paukea

Great result today. Could be a season changer.

Positives were attitude and also shape (while we had 11 on the field). Also forcing not just one but two goals when we were under pressure.

Negatives not taking a lead into half time and not really defending our two leads in a coordinated manner. I think the latter wholly down to the lack of leadership on the pitch. Maybe sounding a wee bit contradictory as I was impressed with O'Ware as much for his attempts at organisation as him winning everything in the air.

Positives- Both wing backs very good. O’Ware in that last 30 mins a colossus at heart of defence. Led by example right down to telling the ball kids not to be in a hurry to get the ball back. 

Negatives- Banzo. However I think the time out the side with suspension may do him good. Been trying to do everything for too long this season. He’ll come again but for now the enforced rest I’m sure will help.

Miller. Not good enough. Too many times when down to 10 he let his man play a simple 1/2 as he wasn’t tracking. Few seconds later he’ll have his hands oh his hips or pointing/moaning at others. That said when only replacement is Mansell then we’re stuck with him just now.

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

In particular a big well done to Shea Gordon- has had his share of being slated but an absolutely massive impact from him today 

Gordon's goals and contributions have been responsible for at least five of our last six points. Yet those slating his performances aren't exactly off the mark. I'd like to think it's easier to get a goalscoring midfielder to start being busier on the pitch than get a busy midfielder to start scoring goals.

Perhaps significant that in those last two winning games Gordon has come off the bench to change things. At worse the lad can be summed up as an impact sub. Think tho' the he is young enough to become a more complete midfielder. Don't believe Gordon should be (or will be) one of the players that McCall will sacrifice in January. That said a lot of work to be done to make him anything like a key player. 

• Like 1

McCall will bring out the best in Gordon who is a wonderful finisher. He thoroughly deserved his MoM award as we would probably have lost had McCall not introduced him. He has an instinct for goal and a cool finish.

Could he be a striker?

I am also confused why Williamson doesn’t play as a winger or wide right in a 4-4-2 as he can’t defend but is quick with a good delivery.

The sun is particularly bright over the Firhill basin today....long may it continue as the Jags slug it out game after game and up the league !.

If we continue with the spirit displayed yesterday I am not giving up on playoffs yet .I am also sure Banzo will continue to disappoint and delight in equal measure...that’s just the way he seems to be .

Edited by Anniesland Jag

11 hours ago, Charing X Jag said:

I know we're bottom of the table and I know our squad is pretty crap, but I do believe that the tag of the great unpredictables is warrented again. I don't know what is going to happen every time I go see them. Happy days. I will always support them whether it's top of the table or bottom. 

We just need to suffer a good pumping next week by Stenny to keep it up!

Stuart Bannigan now stands on 5 sendings off and is an all-time third behind Bobby Law (7) and Alan Archibald (6).  

155 different players have amassed 228 S/Os between them.  This is over 6,550 first team matches (give or take).  

214 of these matches saw 1 or more S/O.  18% were won, 23% drawn and 59% lost. 

The longest run between S/Os is 499 matches and ended when John Harvey was sent off v Arbroath on 4/3/1963.

10 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Stuart Bannigan now stands on 5 sendings off and is an all-time third behind Bobby Law (7) and Alan Archibald (6).  

155 different players have amassed 228 S/Os between them.  This is over 6,550 first team matches (give or take).  

The longest run between S/Os is 499 matches and ended when John Harvey was sent off v Arbroath on 4/3/1963.

Thank you AFK. You answered my question before I even asked it! In an idle moment this morning I was speculating whether Banzo had been sent off more times than Archie. Now I know, but I suspect that Banzo may have his eyes set on the record.

My other idle thought was totally unconnected. I believe that Thistle have supplied 2 right fullbacks/wingbacks to the Sierra Leone national team in the shape of Mustapha Dumbuya and Osman Kakay. Is there any other instance of 2 different Thistle players being capped at full international level by the same country other than Scotland in the same position? I say other than Scotland deliberately as I appreciate that Alan Rough and Nicky Walker both played as goalkeeper for Scotland and I am sure that there are several other examples.

41 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Thank you AFK. You answered my question before I even asked it! In an idle moment this morning I was speculating whether Banzo had been sent off more times than Archie. Now I know, but I suspect that Banzo may have his eyes set on the record.

My other idle thought was totally unconnected. I believe that Thistle have supplied 2 right fullbacks/wingbacks to the Sierra Leone national team in the shape of Mustapha Dumbuya and Osman Kakay. Is there any other instance of 2 different Thistle players being capped at full international level by the same country other than Scotland in the same position? I say other than Scotland deliberately as I appreciate that Alan Rough and Nicky Walker both played as goalkeeper for Scotland and I am sure that there are several other examples.

George Niven and Billy Ritchie played for us.

Thankfully neither Andy Goram was ever signed....................

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

My shock is that Chic is not in that list. Did he not get sent of about 17 times and surely a big proportion of them were playing for the Jags

22 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My shock is that Chic is not in that list. Did he not get sent of about 17 times and surely a big proportion of them were playing for the Jags

Chic was very well behaved when playing for the Jags - which will have had something to do with John Lambie's influence for sure.

At this moment I'm struggling to think of any red card Chic got with the Jags - but I'm certain there were a few, and at least one that is in my head as unjustified.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Chic was very well behaved when playing for the Jags - which will have had something to do with John Lambie's influence for sure.

At this moment I'm struggling to think of any red card Chic got with the Jags - but I'm certain there were a few, and at least one that is in my head as unjustified.

I saw him getting sent off  at Summerset park V Ayr   .Late 80 /early 90 '.I was 10 yards away from him totally not  to blame.. I wrote to the club to tell them what I saw  but to no avail..

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

I saw him getting sent off  at Summerset park V Ayr   .Late 80 /early 90 '.I was 10 yards away from him totally not  to blame.. I wrote to the club to tell them what I saw  but to no avail.

My memory of that red card is that the ball was heading over the sideline at the stand side at ayr for our shy.

Chic stuck up a hand to catch the ball, presumably to take a quick throw, but he was still on the park and was deemed to have handled deliberately.

Pretty harsh I thought.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rid Skwerr said:

My memory of that red card is that the ball was heading over the sideline at the stand side at ayr for our shy.

Chic stuck up a hand to catch the ball, presumably to take a quick throw, but he was still on the park and was deemed to have handled deliberately.

Pretty harsh I thought.

Sure that got him a few game suspension as it was an accumulation of cards. Most of which he'd picked up before returning to us.

1 hour ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Pretty harsh I thought.

Spot on RS.

Jags fans have long memories. I’m still cross about that one all these years later.

Lambie undoubtedly had a huge positive effect on Chic.

Another outrage was Badger getting sent off vs Celtic in Scottish Cup for taking a quick shy. Tommy Burns told the ref to book him(for a 2nd time).

But I cant complain about any of Banzo’s indiscretions.

In that Ayr game Chic got kicked all over the park by different players and I think the fuse had got down to a very short measurement by the time he went off. And I can remember an incident with the big Aberdeen centre when I thought it was the Don that was going and was shocked when Chic went.

I think he was a marked man. Sent off because he had a smile and was a cheeky boy. Still one of the most entertaining Jags in my time.

Chic was sent off 3 times:-  Ayr 3/2/90,  Aberdeen 30/8/94 and Hearts 8/10/94.  

Pub trivia.  When was he sent off but allowed to come back on?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?

He was "sent off" by the ref on 13/8/90 v Cliftonville and told to get some shin guards on.   He must have been one of the first players to fall foul of the (then) new FIFA regulations.

12 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Pretty harsh I thought.

My memory was we needed to win that game to help avoid relegation and we were level going into the last few minutes. An attempted pass to Charnley from one of our team was clearly heading into the stand so Chic instinctively caught it to get the ball back for the opposition to take a throw in. The referee who I think was John Rowbottom deemed it a deliberate handball, gave him his second yellow and off he went. Ironically Rowbottom had a reputation of not being card happy so perhaps Charnley's reputation influenced that outcome.

As Chic has only signed to the end of the season it effectively ended his Thistle career and our hopes of avoiding relegation. His previous disciplinary problems meant his suspension was about 7 games and we ended up being relegated in a winner takes all last game of the season v Ayr at home.

• Sad 1