Vs Morton

Paukea

4 hours ago, laukat said:

My memory was we needed to win that game to help avoid relegation and we were level going into the last few minutes. An attempted pass to Charnley from one of our team was clearly heading into the stand so Chic instinctively caught it to get the ball back for the opposition to take a throw in. The referee who I think was John Rowbottom deemed it a deliberate handball, gave him his second yellow and off he went. Ironically Rowbottom had a reputation of not being card happy so perhaps Charnley's reputation influenced that outcome.

As Chic has only signed to the end of the season it effectively ended his Thistle career and our hopes of avoiding relegation. His previous disciplinary problems meant his suspension was about 7 games and we ended up being relegated in a winner takes all last game of the season v Ayr at home.

I was at that game and I've managed to convince myself it was at Firhill and Chic got all he deserved. That last game against Ayr has to be an all time low.We conceded a goal that perfectly summed up that season. How my work colleagues laughed.

5 hours ago, laukat said:

My memory was we needed to win that game to help avoid relegation and we were level going into the last few minutes. An attempted pass to Charnley from one of our team was clearly heading into the stand so Chic instinctively caught it to get the ball back for the opposition to take a throw in. The referee who I think was John Rowbottom deemed it a deliberate handball, gave him his second yellow and off he went. Ironically Rowbottom had a reputation of not being card happy so perhaps Charnley's reputation influenced that outcome.

As Chic has only signed to the end of the season it effectively ended his Thistle career and our hopes of avoiding relegation. His previous disciplinary problems meant his suspension was about 7 games and we ended up being relegated in a winner takes all last game of the season v Ayr at home.

Laukat, according to AFK, Chic's red card v Ayr was in 1990, but the winner take all game was in 1998.

I think what you describe above is correct for 1998 apart from the fact that Chic got a first yellow for the handball. Unfortunately as you say, he'd had a poor season in disciplinary terms with Hibs before he came to us, and that yellow put him over the threshold for a multi-game suspension.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Laukat, according to AFK, Chic's red card v Ayr was in 1990, but the winner take all game was in 1998.

I think what you describe above is correct for 1998 apart from the fact that Chic got a first yellow for the handball. Unfortunately as you say, he'd had a poor season in disciplinary terms with Hibs before he came to us, and that yellow put him over the threshold for a multi-game suspension.

You might be right that it was a yellow and not a red that sent him over the points threshold. Defintely remember thinking as soon as Rowbottom brandished the card that he wasn't going to play again that season and that our chances of avoiding relegation had gone with him.

To think that its been 21 years since that game makes me feel old, not being able to remember if it was a yellow or a red makes me feel I might be losing my mind. I suppose being a Thistle fan it was bound to happen at some point.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:21 PM, a f kincaid said:

Stuart Bannigan now stands on 5 sendings off and is an all-time third behind Bobby Law (7) and Alan Archibald (6).  

155 different players have amassed 228 S/Os between them.  This is over 6,550 first team matches (give or take).  

214 of these matches saw 1 or more S/O.  18% were won, 23% drawn and 59% lost. 

The longest run between S/Os is 499 matches and ended when John Harvey was sent off v Arbroath on 4/3/1963.

How would it look as a ratio of S/Os to number of games played for each of those three players? And Chico?

What has happened to The Jukebox Rebel? He doesn't seem to have posted here for some time. I always looked forward to reading his excellent statistics on current form and everything else about Partick Thistle...though the statistics  were becoming increasingly grim reading over the last two and a bit seasons.

46 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

What has happened to The Jukebox Rebel? He doesn't seem to have posted here for some time. I always looked forward to reading his excellent statistics on current form and everything else about Partick Thistle...though the statistics  were becoming increasingly grim reading over the last two and a bit seasons.

Yes, indeed the return of TJR would be most welcome.

Bobby Law  331 apps/7 SOs = 1:44

Alan Archibald  463 apps/6 SOs = 1:77

Stuart Bannigan 248 apps/5 SOs = 1:50

Chic Charnley 153 apps/3 SOs  = 1:51

These guys are angels compared with some others.  Gordon Smith 3 SOs in 36 apps.  Andy Wilkinson 1 in 20.  Maurice Parry 2 in 30.  Billy Abercrombie 1 in 12.  Hugh Hamill 1 in 6.

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Bobby Law  331 apps/7 SOs = 1:44

Alan Archibald  463 apps/6 SOs = 1:77

Stuart Bannigan 248 apps/5 SOs = 1:50

Chic Charnley 153 apps/3 SOs  = 1:51

These guys are angels compared with some others.  Gordon Smith 3 SOs in 36 apps.  Andy Wilkinson 1 in 20.  Maurice Parry 2 in 30.  Billy Abercrombie 1 in 12.  Hugh Hamill 1 in 6.

Four of my favourite Thistle players