Who’s all going to Stenny

Bobbyhouston

Two quick questions from the Stenny game:

1) Why were only 5 subs named? Is that the rules of the tournament? Otherwise, surely a young player or two could have had the experience of being part of the matchday squad or even got some minutes on the pitch as happened in the Montrose game?

2) DeVita was booked in the first half. No real complaint with that, as although it was non-violent he was coming in from behind on a player who had got past  him. In the second half he committed a couple of minor fouls neither of which merited a booking, but you can imagine that if he had done the same again. the referee could have booked him, resulting in a red card,  after pointing here and there to indicate persistent fouling all over the pitch. My daughter thought she saw the referee making the "rolling hands substitution signal" to Ian McCall, in much the same way as you often see in a friendly (ie "Your player is getting a bit hot-headed. I don't want to spoil the game by sending him off, but please substitute him before I do"). Did anyone else see this? Either way, is this a proper exercise of the referee's functions? Then again, it could be that the referee is a Thistle fan, had recognised DeVita's minimal impact and wanted Robson on instead!

39 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

2) DeVita was booked in the first half. No real complaint with that, as although it was non-violent he was coming in from behind on a player who had got past  him. In the second half he committed a couple of minor fouls neither of which merited a booking, but you can imagine that if he had done the same again. the referee could have booked him, resulting in a red card,  after pointing here and there to indicate persistent fouling all over the pitch. My daughter thought she saw the referee making the "rolling hands substitution signal" to Ian McCall, in much the same way as you often see in a friendly (ie "Your player is getting a bit hot-headed. I don't want to spoil the game by sending him off, but please substitute him before I do"). Did anyone else see this? Either way, is this a proper exercise of the referee's functions? Then again, it could be that the referee is a Thistle fan, had recognised DeVita's minimal impact and wanted Robson on instead!

Was meaning to mention that about de Vita. He committed a stupid foul off the ball in the first half shortly after his yellow. Crazy, as often as not when the ref stops the game due to something off the ball a booking ensues. Then as you say he continued fouling in the 2nd half. My first impression was he was wheeched off the park to avoid a 2nd yellow. It may of course been a tactical substitution (a more pacy player in Robson to allow us to bring on Harkins later). Whatever I was glad to see de Vita go off the park.

De Vita is hardly noted for aggressive play. He may well play more wholehearted for his parent club but he hardly puts his body on the line for us. No doubting the lad has decent enough ball control and he's a clever enough footballer but if at all possible I'd rather see him go back to Livingston in January. I wouldn't want to rely on him later in the season if we've got crunch games to win. 

27 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was meaning to mention that about de Vita. He committed a stupid foul off the ball in the first half shortly after his yellow. Crazy, as often as not when the ref stops the game due to something off the ball a booking ensues. Then as you say he continued fouling in the 2nd half. My first impression was he was wheeched off the park to avoid a 2nd yellow. It may of course been a tactical substitution (a more pacy player in Robson to allow us to bring on Harkins later). Whatever I was glad to see de Vita go off the park.

De Vita is hardly noted for aggressive play. He may well play more wholehearted for his parent club but he hardly puts his body on the line for us. No doubting the lad has decent enough ball control and he's a clever enough footballer but if at all possible I'd rather see him go back to Livingston in January. I wouldn't want to rely on him later in the season if we've got crunch games to win. 

De Vita is finished, he used to be decent a long time back and as a backup will be no more than an honest pro for us. He ain't our player but if he was i would expect him to be gone in January. Not sure if we can cancel his loan but if we can't as i said he will be an honest pro backup.

9 hours ago, Pinhead said:

De Vita is finished, he used to be decent a long time back and as a backup will be no more than an honest pro for us. He ain't our player but if he was i would expect him to be gone in January. Not sure if we can cancel his loan but if we can't as i said he will be an honest pro backup.

Could be a problem as I doubt Livingston will be wanting him back early.