Queens Park Go Pro

West Ender

Was talking to a Queens Park director about it - he said there was little choice. Pretty much of all their best players get picked up for nothing by Scottish teams including the old firm. I had assumed (wrongly as it turned out) that most teams compensated them in some way, but he said very few do and that the old firm,Dundee United, hearts and Hibs were in particular bad for this.

wasnt an easy decision for them to make but it ensures they will benefit financially far more with their players moving on as well as probably able to sign some better players so that when they get promotion they can stay up

49 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Was talking to a Queens Park director about it - he said there was little choice. Pretty much of all their best players get picked up for nothing by Scottish teams including the old firm. I had assumed (wrongly as it turned out) that most teams compensated them in some way, but he said very few do and that the old firm,Dundee United, hearts and Hibs were in particular bad for this.

wasnt an easy decision for them to make but it ensures they will benefit financially far more with their players moving on as well as probably able to sign some better players so that when they get promotion they can stay up

It’s a shame they have had to go down this route, but I understand their reasons. They have nurtured some great young players.

I suppose the link to the Highland & Lowland leagues has also focused their minds; they wouldn’t want to be relegated. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sandy said:

It’s a shame they have had to go down this route, but I understand their reasons. They have nurtured some great young players.

I suppose the link to the Highland & Lowland leagues has also focused their minds; they wouldn’t want to be relegated. 

Definitely. 

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had turned professional in the 1890s when everyone else did.  Would think Celtic and Rangers would not have won as many trophies as they have done since 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We'll remain Glasgow's oldest continuous professional club in existence but will be Glasgow's second oldest professional club in existence????? Or something like that. :)  

Hate to disagree m'lady but slightly tongue in cheek, I'd point out that Partick only became part of the City of Glasgow around 1912(?).  

• Like 2

My father was a Queens Park supporter...he took me to my first ever football match...Queens against East Stirling at Hampden...the ground capacity back then  was 134,000  and there was not a single person on those huge terracings...Queens won 7-2 I think but I had been jagged with the  Thistle virus at a very early age and even a thumping win didn't change my allegiance.

Despite always living in the South Side, I can't remember ever meeting another Queens Park supporter...but good luck to them in their new status...they have a far better record of bringing through good young players than Thistle in recent years.

As bad as we are we are a long way off their level. Took in their game at Cowdenbeath yesterday with a Cowden mate and I have to say I’ve never seen a bigger bunch of thugs and hatchet men on a football pitch. 2 blatant shirt pulls along with numerous horrific tackles and fouling. Boys hitting simple 20 yard passes out the park. Looked like a bunch of hammer throwers pulled out of some Glasgow boozers. A truly terrible outfit 

2 hours ago, Kingleo said:

As bad as we are we are a long way off their level. Took in their game at Cowdenbeath yesterday with a Cowden mate and I have to say I’ve never seen a bigger bunch of thugs and hatchet men on a football pitch. 2 blatant shirt pulls along with numerous horrific tackles and fouling. Boys hitting simple 20 yard passes out the park. Looked like a bunch of hammer throwers pulled out of some Glasgow boozers. A truly terrible outfit 

Just seen some of the stats for that game. Cowden 5 yellows & 1 red v 5 yellows & 1 red Queens. Seems like a fun game. The wire mesh surround at Central Pk probably helped give it a cage fight feel to the event. :)

To be fair we've played Queens Pk twice this season and tho' they fair mixed it on both occasions, by the sounds of it I don't think they were quite as physical as what you witnessed yesterday. Often wonder when we loan out our younger players if enough attention is given to the style of play etc of the recipient club. As way of an example loaning out a wide player Declan McDaid to Cowdenbeath with its ultra narrow pitch. 

Some of the Queen’s Park challenges were disgraceful. As bad as I’ve seen. Created quite a seething atmosphere at the end as both sets of fans were going at each other through the mesh. It’s not hard to see why it’s so difficult to develop decent young players when you see the sort of antics yesterday. Blatant shirt pulling by queens at every opportunity and their sending off was beyond comedy. Boy took a swipe at the ball and missed. Then took a swipe at Cowden player and took him clean out. Mayhem

On 11/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, Kingleo said:

Some of the Queen’s Park challenges were disgraceful. As bad as I’ve seen. Created quite a seething atmosphere at the end as both sets of fans were going at each other through the mesh. It’s not hard to see why it’s so difficult to develop decent young players when you see the sort of antics yesterday. Blatant shirt pulling by queens at every opportunity and their sending off was beyond comedy. Boy took a swipe at the ball and missed. Then took a swipe at Cowden player and took him clean out. Mayhem

About four yards from the ref when he did it too! The Cowden red card was comedy gold as well!!