Favourite player from championship season

jaggyben

I was looking back at the footage of our winning the championship and was thinking who I would like to still be with us came to the conclusion Stevie  Lawless or Lawleff as some thought  what a right good player he was and I always thought if Stevie was playing well the team played well

It used to frustrate me when he was on the bench or warming up at the side of the park and Archie would give somebody else the shout and you could see Steve’s frustration at not getting on what a waste of talent left on the bench 

I think that not fighting to keep Lawless was the start of our decline don’t think Archie saw his benefit to the team and when I see him doing well with Livingston it shows we lost a great player far to early would walk into any championship team and quite a few premier teams would love to see him back someday 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jaggyben said:

I was looking back at the footage of our winning the championship and was thinking who I would like to still be with us came to the conclusion Stevie  Lawless or Lawleff as some thought  what a right good player he was and I always thought if Stevie was playing well the team played well

It used to frustrate me when he was on the bench or warming up at the side of the park and Archie would give somebody else the shout and you could see Steve’s frustration at not getting on what a waste of talent left on the bench 

I think that not fighting to keep Lawless was the start of our decline don’t think Archie saw his benefit to the team and when I see him doing well with Livingston it shows we lost a great player far to early would walk into any championship team and quite a few premier teams would love to see him back someday 

Our decline started with him at Thistle. When we got relegated.

Afraid I couldn't make up my mind about Lawless. A skillful and creative player but he never seemed very effective to me.  He seemed to flirt in and out of games rarely making an impact for 90 minutes - similar to Ross Forbes who also tended to be in and out of a game. 

I don't know perhaps it was the playing system we used and not the player. Just felt we should have got a lot more from him. 

Edited by exiledjag

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

When I see clips of the Championship-winning team waves of nostalgia are inevitable. Doolan, Erskine, Lawless,... but for me both O'Donnell and Taylor-Sinclair were the two with most flair.

Agree with first 3 names above though thought Doolin and Erskine were exceptional. I know many will disagree but I thought Balatoni was a stalwart as well. He just wasn't a central defender. Showing my age but in the days of half-backs he would have been my right half. Good technique, tackler, first touch and passer of the ball. Not tall enough for a central defender in the modern game. 

Taylor-Sinclair, like Lawless, Forbes and Muirhead never really did it for me. 

• Like 1

I agree with flashman about Erskine, who I believe was undoubtedly a cut above the rest. SOD & ATS were great to watch but it was only when Archie came in and checked their cavalier ventures upfield somewhat (especially away from home) that we became solid enough to win the league.

I think tho' the whole was greater than the sum of the parts making it almost impossible to agree on any individual player. Take two memorable games under McNamara, when any defensive frailties were secondary. The 7-0 humping of Airdrie and the 5-1 rout against the Pars. These matches were back to back home league games only three weeks apart. On both occasions the goals were spread throughout the team with six different scorers v Airdrie and four v Dunfermline. Over both games goals were scored by eight different players. 

On a slightly different subject, my favourite unsung player from that season was Sean Welsh. Evidently we never lost a league game when he started but I thought he played to a consistently high standard in any case.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flashman said:

Erskine, without a second thought. Check out his goals that season and some of them were crucial goals, from about 8:08 onwards for the Championship season.

Thanks for sharing.

The goal against QP [about 9.00 minutes in] is simply a joy to watch, and the last goal of the collection against Falkirk must be one Chris remembers to this day!!

Erskine was absolutely outstanding that season .. Paul Paton as much as hes a bit of a hate figure these days was an absolute Rock in the middle of the park also and done all the covering when ATS and SOD roamed forward. I think his importance that year will be overlooked because hes a ***** :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaggyben said:

Ah balatoni still one of my favourite chants doo doo doo Conrad Balatoni scored some great goals with his head great loan and a great signing for us

Like this one....

https://studio.youtube.com/video/mMPX-u0hrmY/edit?utm_campaign=upgrade&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=%2Fmy_videos

If adding one to the squad in January definitely Stevie Lawless. He had a grest season too which went a bit under the radar. Finished top scorer I think?

Great team overall and hard to pick out any weak links at Championship level. A few struggled stepping up but the whole team never got the chance to play at Premiership level which was a wee bit disappointing at the time.

Stevie Lawless is one very underrated football player.

He's a footballer's footballer - does a lot of dirty work that goes unnoticed by many, but never those who are playing beside him.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but he has been a much more important cog to the Thistle machine 2012 - 2017 than Stuart Bannigan.

It is significant that when Callum Booth was injured in 2017-18 and Archie shunted Stevie to LWB to compensate, that Barton and Edwards - good players both - were frankly ineffectual in an area that had been crucial to our performances up to then.