Tunnocks Cup Semi Final

Paukea

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

To clarify: for me the Challenge Cup is a diddy cup because it's for teams that aren't good enough for the top tier; hence it'd not a "national" competition. And for me the interest has been further diminished because of the inclusion of colts teams.

Would I like us to win it? Sure! Do I care if we don't? Nope! 

My simple logic then suggests that you think that the championship is a diddy league ? As in you only play in it if you are not good enough for the top tier.

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I've long felt the competition itself would be better placed if 2nd tier clubs were excluded and replaced by more Highland & Lowland League clubs. It would then be basically (with the odd exception) almost exclusively open to only part time clubs. The problem with including our league is that most clubs (if not all ) will be fretting over play off places (top or bottom) and the Challenge Cup can appear anything between an irrelevance to hindrance. Of course if the size of the leagues (especially the top tier) were to be increased then this competition would have more relevance to the 2nd tier clubs. 

While we're in it we might as well try and win it. We have, tho', to be realistic and accept no manager in our league is likely to jeopardise promotion or league survival chasing this piece of silverware.  That maybe comes across all Billy Big Boots but winning the Challenge Cup will not protect his job if he has an unsatisfactory league campaign.  

Ok -  so the last time we got to the final, we had in the following mid week a crucial game vs Morton. If we hadn’t won that game we probably wouldn’t have won the league but we still put out our strongest team vs QOS. 
Maybe times have changed and managers have a different perspective now.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Our game has been selected by Alba to be televised Friday 14 February 7.45.k.o...Better get the excuses in early guys with the wife's and girlfriends....

This gives me a dilemma. I have got hospitality for the Warriors rugby on the Friday night. Do I ditch that and go to Firhill or do I go to the rugby and record the football ?

29 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

This gives me a dilemma. I have got hospitality for the Warriors rugby on the Friday night. Do I ditch that and go to Firhill or do I go to the rugby and record the football ?

Easy compromise: go to Firhill and record the football. Sorted! :head_ball:

(Did I mention I went to a rugby-playing school? :ph34r:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Gift your hospitality seats to Mitch Austin as the Aussies love the oval ball and he will probably be at a loose end that evening and get yourself to Firhill for thrills.  :fan:

On 11/20/2019 at 1:46 PM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

15th / 16th according to the club webpages. Perhaps another Friday night game [no good logic in doing so, but you know what the grey suits are like]

I wonder if we will be a much changed side by then? sitting within the top four and scoring freely? [it's nice to dream]

I spoke too soon, how can this go well for the Raith supporters?

I wonder, is actual fan participation at football games now considered as a 'minor profit making requirement' simply to provide 'atmosphere' for the televised game?

I wonder if anyone at the BBC had even a passing thought that football teams have fans that actually travel to matches to watch the game? We don't all watch football in pubs!!

Hopefully RRFC can organise a fleet of busses to help their fans complete a 120mile round trip to Glasgow [at perhaps the coldest time of the year] to watch their team in a cup semi-final.

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

My simple logic then suggests that you think that the championship is a diddy league ? As in you only play in it if you are not good enough for the top tier.

Your simple logic on that point is actually correct. We're in a diddier league than the Premiership, and the teams in the league below us are in a diddier league than ours. 

In fact, the logic is impeccable!

6 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Our game has been selected by Alba to be televised Friday 14 February 7.45.k.o...Better get the excuses in early guys with the wife's and girlfriends....

Just tell them the truth. You are going to see your one true love on Valentine’s Day. Go on I dare you. :fan::fan:

47 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Hasn’t cleared it up for me. I was asking whether you cared if we won in the league ?

The only way we can escape this diddy league without going into an even diddier league is to win promotion. I would much prefer to win promotion that to win the diddy Tunnocks Challenge Cup, but if we win that too, then fair doos.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The only way we can escape this diddy league without going into an even diddier league is to win promotion. I would much prefer to win promotion that to win the diddy Tunnocks Challenge Cup, but if we win that too, then fair doos.

It’s kind of like getting a straight answer from a politician. You don’t care if we win the challenge cup because the teams in it aren’t good enough to play in the premiership. 
Do you care if we don’t win the diddy league that you say we are in ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

It’s kind of like getting a straight answer from a politician. You don’t care if we win the challenge cup because the teams in it aren’t good enough to play in the premiership. 
Do you care if we don’t win the diddy league that you say we are in ?

One thing I don't care about is carrying on this nonsense with you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Friday night v. Raith Rovers.

With Rudden(Injured), Barjonas,Mayo, Zanatta and Brownlie( cup tied) all unavailable what's the team looking like?

Saunders in for Brownlie?

McKinnon(if fit) in for Barjonas?

Austin in for Zanatta??

Hopefully Sneddon in for Fox.

Edited by Garscube Road End

It's disappointing that we can't use this game to develop a better understanding throughout the team. Brownlie with O'Ware for instance or Rudden with Graham. January's league results have soured this game somewhat for me but it's a game we want to win for morale reasons if nothing else. It also shouldn't go unnoticed that this could well be the first of three games we play against Raith this season.

Evidently Raith are far from sluggish and move the ball about quite quickly so we'll do well to win.

So who is unavailable:

rudden (injured) 

brownlie (cup tied?)

O’connor (cup tied?)

barjonas (cup tied?)

Mayo (cup tied?)

Not sure about the cup tied players if they are but I’m just guessing but we already have a depleted squad with 6 players on the bench against Dundee. Might be a chance for players like Austin and Robson and Jones to start. Would like to see Sneddon in goals though.