Tunnocks Cup Semi Final

Paukea

I'm not too sure about the lack of fight. Just don't think they're very good at it. I suppose I'm more of the headless chickens opinion.

When our most composed player is a 19 year old loanee you know we're in trouble. When the player that should be our most composed player has to be subbed we're gubbed.

John McGlynn: “We looked at Thistle’s set-piece record as an area to exploit. It worked a treat. They’re vulnerable from those situations.”

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Also just in. Agree with everything you say J McD.  Tam didn't look bothered until we scored. To little far to late. If Caldwell was still manager there would be calls for his head, also what has happened to Cole, we all wanted him to extend his loan but he is a  shadow of the player he was. Once again very disappointing to see so many leave the John Lambie stand when they scored their second.

Just back in from that shambles, not really sure how McCall is getting absolved from a lot of the criticism. He took over after only 6 League games and we’re actually looking worse now than we were before.

There is no discernible style of play , whether that’s a pressing game although I don’t think some of the players are fit enough for that or sitting in and playing on the break but probably not enough pace in the team for that either ,not sure how they are being coached but we’re too easy to play against, the full backs don’t tuck in to help the Centre halves and Cardle and Shea Gordon didn’t cover the full backs when the full backs moved forward which left us exposed.

IMO the transfer window has been an absolute disaster with only Brian Graham having the ability to make a difference to our team , McCall has to take the blame for this filling our team with Rangers and Celtic u20s , an unfit 35 yr old in Darian McKinnon .

What we needed in the transfer window was players with pace and power , Ian McCall has failed miserably in the transfer window and it’s going to be a struggle to stay up .

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Just back from that..

I have seen a lot of bad Thistle teams in nearly 60 years but that performance tonight and over the last few months has got to be the worst....McCall said after Saturday s game he picked the wrong team ,even with changes tonight we played as bad as we did on Saturday.... I can't see anything else but league 1 next season...

Agree with all of this. I have seen some bad thistle teams, but this one is simply way beyond anything I remember. For some phases of play I simply zoned out, I just lost interest.

When we needed a skilful outball, we got a ball slammed into the air, we could not pass, we could not anticipate any of the Raith play [and RR to be honest were not particularly good …. they didn't need to be] On the field I saw an insipid, talentless group of charlatans.

I found that low skill level of play very hard to watch, I would not be surprised if our crowds drop to the hundreds by the end of this season

• Like 2

The only real benefit of this game would be to build confidence.  Instead the usual despondency ensues.  
To compound Alloa pick up a point.  In the end if we cannot beat the part timers we simply belong down with the others.

I still have hope.  After all Hamilton always find a way to avoid the drop against all odds

Fortunately Cardle appears to be injured. He had so much possession 1st half and wasted it all. To be frank, we’d be better off without Cardle.

If Austin is worse than him, he should join Jones, O’Ware, Robson and Saunders on the scrap heap. These players are useless. O’Ware should immediately be relieved if the captaincy. His performance tonight was diabolical.

All those unavailable should be in the team next week including Sneddon. That cross was about 3 yards out and Fox should have attacked it easily.

The whole midfield was non existent though Banzo manfully struggled through the vacuum vacated by his colleagues Cole and Gordon, 2 players who have at times excited but who were liabilities tonight.

McCall has a helluva task to keep this lot up. Graham seems to now realise the level of incompetence of most of his team mates but we can’t afford to let the malaise spread to him so McCall should enlist him as captain now. A captain needs to lead by example.

50 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Just back in from that shambles, not really sure how McCall is getting absolved from a lot of the criticism. He took over after only 6 League games and we’re actually looking worse now than we were before.

There is no discernible style of play , whether that’s a pressing game although I don’t think some of the players are fit enough for that or sitting in and playing on the break but probably not enough pace in the team for that either ,not sure how they are being coached but we’re too easy to play against, the full backs don’t tuck in to help the Centre halves and Cardle and Shea Gordon didn’t cover the full backs when the full backs moved forward which left us exposed.

IMO the transfer window has been an absolute disaster with only Brian Graham having the ability to make a difference to our team , McCall has to take the blame for this filling our team with Rangers and Celtic u20s , an unfit 35 yr old in Darian McKinnon .

What we needed in the transfer window was players with pace and power , Ian McCall has failed miserably in the transfer window and it’s going to be a struggle to stay up .

As i have said in another thread, McCall got more from a squad of players he obviously didn't rate before the transfer window. I know a number couldn't play tonight for various reasons. We now have 12 league games coming up for McCall to prove he got the right players in the January window.

• Like 1

Wasn't at the game tonight (again) but value the thoughts and comments of those fans who were there. 

As a life long thistle fan I have witnessed a few highs an more lows. The last 10 years have been a bit of a comeback period for me as an active fan but the last 3 years have been tough ( for all fans). Being jags fans I am sure we expect our fair share of defeats, we'll at least I do! For most of my life Thistle teams, when losing have gone down fighting and looking like a football team. Recently though there has been 3 years of apathy where players, not all but quite a few, seem not to care or are clueless! 

An acceptance that defeat seems to be inevitable! Shamefully when I saw tonight's result I was totally immune from any shock, upset feelings or disappointment! I expected defeat as a likely outcome because I am starting to feel having seen only 6 or so this season that all the posters on this and other threads are correct - this particular team is at best clueless and at worst, doesn't give a damn! 

That was ****** awful. Someone said that Penrice got man of the match, can only assume that falls into the they had to give it to somebody category. What an absolute shambles we are defensively. First goal was so predictable, every team we'll face between now and the end of the season will know to whip a ball towards the static Fox, a complete no-brainer. Get your head to the ball it's a goal. Incredibly the second was even worse, lost count of the times I screamed tackle before they stuck it away. 

Good luck to Rovers in the final, they totally deserved it tonight. 

I cant understand why Fox was picked for the game, he deserved to be rested, and Sneddon deserved a run out against a LOWER LEAGUE TEAM OF PART TIMERS. O'Ware was simply bl00dy awful. Joe Cardle in every game tries to score an 'Archie Gemmill goal' and in every game fails. For a team that have a wage bill in line with the Championship 'top four' teams we are a poor, poor football team.

For a defence that can be beaten every week by a basic set-piece, that guy Archibald [I am assuming he is the defensive coach] should be utterly ashamed.

Bad as it certainly was, perhaps we can draw some comfort from the number of players missing last night for various reasons, and who will improve the team when they return.   More worrying is the lack of player motivation, and that has to be laid at the door of McCall and his assistants.  That lack of urgency in the team perhaps stems in part from the uncertainty surrounding the future ownership of the Club, and possibly the apparent slackness in the way the Club is generally run.   These last remarks may be wide of the mark, and are simply impressions that may be wrong, but we have now had three managers in less than three years and have not improved.  Something more fundamental than changing the management is needed to steady the ship.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Bad as it certainly was, perhaps we can draw some comfort from the number of players missing last night for various reasons, and who will improve the team when they return.   More worrying is the lack of player motivation, and that has to be laid at the door of McCall and his assistants.  That lack of urgency in the team perhaps stems in part from the uncertainty surrounding the future ownership of the Club, and possibly the apparent slackness in the way the Club is generally run.   These last remarks may be wide of the mark, and are simply impressions that may be wrong, but we have now had three managers in less than three years and have not improved.  Something more fundamental than changing the management is needed to steady the ship.

Those players missing, aside, Rudden were abject at Dundee, so will they In need improve us??? I have very grave concerns about that.

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm not too sure about the lack of fight. Just don't think they're very good at it. I suppose I'm more of the headless chickens opinion.

When our most composed player is a 19 year old loanee you know we're in trouble. When the player that should be our most composed player has to be subbed we're gubbed.

John McGlynn: “We looked at Thistle’s set-piece record as an area to exploit. It worked a treat. They’re vulnerable from those situations.”

This... when the opposition continually know and easily exploit our weaknesses, it’s damning on our management team and players. It will get us relegated.

Seeing Brian Graham tear a strip off Austin after the final whistle showed how much he cares. Made me think that McCall should be picking a team of grafters but it would probably mean a 7 a side team.  

Looking at the table and seeing Alloa get another point against a team who walked over us recently, then failure to win next week and it’s probably all over bar the shouting.

Even a collapse by say QoS and us somehow finding 9th position by the end of the season, I don’t think any of us would fancy our chances in a playoff. I don’t think the players would either. The opposition would smell our fear.

i honestly think we are now heading for relegation. Would be the cherry on top of an abysmal two years, and where so much money was wasted on so many ...

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

I don't agree that the performances on the park have anything to do with what goes on in the boardroom or behind the scenes.  Professional footballers get paid to do just that, play football. Who owns the club and to maybe a lesser degree who the CEO is should not affect them at all. The manager and coaches have the responsibility for the footballing side and as long as they are getting the support of the owners/boardroom then it's their responsibility for the team. Footballers get sacked (or take a cut in wages) if they are not performing or if they as a team get relegated. Not because there are changes at board level.

Fans can worry about ownership isues as it affects the long term viabilityof their club but most players and managers will just move on and sell their skills elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, scotty said:

I don't agree that the performances on the park have anything to do with what goes on in the boardroom or behind the scenes.  Professional footballers get paid to do just that, play football. Who owns the club and to maybe a lesser degree who the CEO is should not affect them at all. The manager and coaches have the responsibility for the footballing side and as long as they are getting the support of the owners/boardroom then it's their responsibility for the team. Footballers get sacked (or take a cut in wages) if they are not performing or if they as a team get relegated. Not because there are changes at board level.

Fans can worry about ownership isues as it affects the long term viabilityof their club but most players and managers will just move on and sell their skills elsewhere.

In theory you are correct. 

hiwever if there is a lack of discretion at a senior level of club impacting on manager or players, or if there were too much interference or interest in team affairs by people not qualified to do so, then I am sure there can be an impact.  So it’s not always as black and white as you suggest. 

Watch both Rovers goals and tell me that our defending is anything other than comical. Watch us going forward and tell me, do you think we are going to have a shot on goals or are we gonna start passing side to side before  the opposition close us down and take the ball off us. Watch us trying to pick up their players and failing miserably to stop them because nobody knows who/what they should be picking up.

I know next to nothing about tactics and formations. On the evidence of last night's performance that puts me on a par with our management team.

Edited by east end jag
spelling
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

This... when the opposition continually know and easily exploit our weaknesses, it’s damning on our management team and players. It will get us relegated.

Seeing Brian Graham tear a strip off Austin after the final whistle showed how much he cares. Made me think that McCall should be picking a team of grafters but it would probably mean a 7 a side team.  

Looking at the table and seeing Alloa get another point against a team who walked over us recently, then failure to win next week and it’s probably all over bar the shouting.

Even a collapse by say QoS and us somehow finding 9th position by the end of the season, I don’t think any of us would fancy our chances in a playoff. I don’t think the players would either. The opposition would smell our fear.

i honestly think we are now heading for relegation. Would be the cherry on top of an abysmal two years, and where so much money was wasted on so many ...

Only watched Brian Graham for 4 games but looking at him last night, he’s got a will to win that the rest don’t appear to have at this minute.

Take the armband off O’Ware and give it to Brian Graham because at this moment he’s our best chance at getting more out of some of these players and it would also show to O’ware that he’s got to step up his performances regardless that he’s got a new deal.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

As other duties meant I missed the opening part of the game what happened with the Raith player fouling someone and the ref initially showing a red before changing to a yellow?

Having watched the highlights why did O'Ware start off marking their first scorer then decide it would be better to mark Saunders?

Although the foul on Penrice looked severe, it was probably more of a poorly timed tackle rather than an intension to harm. It looked to me to be a case of the referee pulling out the wrong card.

I think the referee deserves some criticism, he allowed RR to benefit from blatant simulation in challenges, and that added to the customary timewasting, regularly stealing 10 meters at throw-ins, continual kicking the ball away etc etc led to the game being a bad tempered affair. 

What PTFC needed was some good build up play, some nice midfield performances and an early goal for us to go on and enjoy a game that we really should have won. 

John McGlynn got his tactics correct, he knew where we had weaknesses and exploited them thoroughly.

O'Ware had a complete howler of a game …. not the sort of person to be a captain of any team IMO …. far to ready to blame others when he was at fault.

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
clarification

A general view as we'd be guilty of wasting time as well (in the unlikely situation that we're ever ahead in a game later on) but stealing yards at throw-ins should be clamped down on. The fullback of the team ahead taking the shy steals some yards and gains the customary advantage. If the ref tells him to go back there's still an advantage thru time wasting. A no lose situation for his team and thus they'd be daft not to try it on. Same of course goes for free kicks.

Why referees and for that matter linesmen are content to be undermined is something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Agree wholeheartedly.