Tunnocks Cup Semi Final

Paukea

58 minutes ago, jaf said:

That’s how I felt too! Exactly. 
I will be at our hospitality for Dunfermline game for a dreary  compare and contrast. 

Is our hospitality that bad? I've never been as it's not my kind of thing but would be interested to know if that's a general opinion of it.

Been once to hospitality [The Friday night 5-0 game against Morton - 2011] Atmosphere fine, a bit like a British Legion club, the food was inedible. I didn't realise Vesta Beef Curry could be made in catering quantities.

Fortunately, we had a good team on the field, so the bad food [unfortunately the pies were also kak that night] was forgotten, but I have never felt the need to revisit hospitality.

I think a football team that does not have a recognised [trusted and respected] supporters club will always suffer through lack of engagement.

I've not been to our hospitality for about 3 years so can't really comment.

My post was more about the mood, attitude and atmosphere around Arbroath - a real buzz about being the over-achieving part time team. Dick Campbell recounting stories about how managed to get Craig Wighton, comparing to how much McCall had managed to spend to get Rudden....

I can really identify with it - supporting Arbroath must be a really rewarding experience just now. Supporting Thistle isn't and hasn't been for a good few years. The only Thistle game I could say I enjoyed in recent seasons, was last game of last season at Dumfries.

• Like 1

I haven’t been to our hospitality, but over the years have been to a few hospitality events. I was at Glasgow Warriors on Friday night. There were maybe 200 people in hospitality and it was very well run. The meal was a piece of beef and some veg and a simple dessert with tea/coffee. All the drink was free. However, that is probably down to the package that our host had.

I am not sure how much extra income that would have brought in for the warriors - maybe £10K once you take off the cost of hosting etc. 

Can someone name anything we do well?

The first team is rubbish, the youth setup a farce again, we don't engage with the local community, we don't have a training ground, the stadium is a three sided mess, hospitality rank rotten, unreliable ticketing system, home fans constantly made to feel like visitors at the club.

You reap what you sow I suppose. Place has been rife with jobs for the boys and the pals act for years. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I was at Glasgow Warriors on Friday night. The meal was a piece of beef and some veg and a simple dessert with tea/coffee. All the drink was free.

Exactly the same package at Firhill on Friday night, plus half-time refreshments and a few extra bits and bobs. I always do the stadium tour as you tend to find out something new every time.

45 minutes ago, avie-man said:

The first team is rubbish, the youth setup a farce again, we don't engage with the local community, we don't have a training ground, the stadium is a three sided mess, hospitality rank rotten, unreliable ticketing system, home fans constantly made to feel like visitors at the club.

You reap what you sow I suppose. Place has been rife with jobs for the boys and the pals act for years. 

Is this the youth setup who's U18 beat Celtic last week? Other posters have refuted the hospitality claim and once this season fans have been moved to accomodate a large crowd (with commensurate income!).

13 minutes ago, scotty said:

Is this the youth setup who's U18 beat Celtic last week? Other posters have refuted the hospitality claim and once this season fans have been moved to accomodate a large crowd (with commensurate income!).

Hospitality is usually of decent standard. No complaints from me on that front.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fenski said:

I've not been to our hospitality for about 3 years so can't really comment.

My post was more about the mood, attitude and atmosphere around Arbroath - a real buzz about being the over-achieving part time team. Dick Campbell recounting stories about how managed to get Craig Wighton, comparing to how much McCall had managed to spend to get Rudden....

I can really identify with it - supporting Arbroath must be a really rewarding experience just now. Supporting Thistle isn't and hasn't been for a good few years. The only Thistle game I could say I enjoyed in recent seasons, was last game of last season at Dumfries.

Yes, this sums it up

This is the compare and contrast I mentioned

Every bum on a seat at Arbroath feels very welcome I think

Its difficult not to feel a bit of admiration for the way they do things (eg their post hospitality auction is awesome fun - even if your team has just been beat)

In some ways I am sure the hospitality at PTFC is more 'professional',  but at Arbroath its definitely more fun.

But, we support Thistle, like it or not,  and that's why I will be at our hospitality taking my pals there for my birthday and giving money to the club - I am sure 3 points will make it an incredibly good experience!

Edited by jaf
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, avie-man said:

Just to emphasise …. my experience of hospitality at Firhill dates back to 2011, my guess it is better than it was although my bad experience has meant I have avoided PTFC hospitality since then. I think the original post highlighted the good atmosphere and 'part of a club' feeling that was the hospitality at Arbroath …. this 'family atmosphere'  is something that appears [at least to me] to be completely alien to PTFC. IMO They would do well to have a look at how other smaller teams organise the hospitality lounges

I was pleased to note that how we defend corners has been copied and even perfected by a team in the English Premier League.

Southampton got this down to a fine art against Burnley yesterday. Player at the front post watches the ball go past him, and ducks out of the way just to make sure. Goalkeeper stands behind the line, so that any save is ineffective. The enhanced feature from Southampton was that there was no need for an opposition player to nod the ball in unopposed from two yards out.

Archie heading for St Mary's?

3 hours ago, jaf said:

In some ways I am sure the hospitality at PTFC is more 'professional',  but at Arbroath its definitely more fun.

Excuse the selective quote.

I seem to remember that in the couple of seasons before we got promotion to the premiership there was a drive to get fans involved. We had volunteers in the JH concourse, a push to get the singinging section a permament home and other attempts to to enhance the match day experience. When we got promoted this all disappeared. I may be remembering wrong but I think it was stated that the club needed a more "professional" approach with employees taking the toles that volunteer fans did. (very well in my opinion).

There are calls on here that Thistle need to concentrate on being "professional" , make the first team the focus before the youth set-up and womens; team. But then there is also complaints that there is no sense of community. As Jags; fans we need to get together and decide what it is we want.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

Exactly the same package at Firhill on Friday night, plus half-time refreshments and a few extra bits and bobs. I always do the stadium tour as you tend to find out something new every time.

I'm going with a few pals for the Morton game. Last time we were there was just before Caldwell got bumped. I thought the food was great and really enjoyed the whole day. I'll definitely be doing the stadium tour again and we'll hopefully get into the dressing room again-most of the players we saw at the last tour are no longer with us...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

I’m there on Saturday which is 1st time in around 2 years, although I’ve been probably a dozen times since 2000 (When it was in the main stand and felt slightly grand).  Seems to go through cycles of being great or being mundane, a bit like the team from my experience over the years, although Robert Reid’s talks are always a highlight 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

I’m there on Saturday which is 1st time in around 2 years, although I’ve been probably a dozen times since 2000 (When it was in the main stand and felt slightly grand).  Seems to go through cycles of being great or being mundane, a bit like the team from my experience over the years, although Robert Reid’s talks are always a highlight 

I go back to the days when we had a comedian!

Robert Reid was an upgrade on comedian - sadly I am not sure he does his talk anymore.

On 2/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, Dark Passenger said:

It seemed to me that most of the tables at the rugby were taken by corporate hospitality. Is that the same at Firhill ?