Tunnocks Cup Semi Final

Paukea

18 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

They threw a smoke canister on to the park when they scored their 1st (?) goal.  It missed the grass by inches and landed on the chuckies.

There were two smoke canisters used, one thrown from the stand after the opening goal and the second set off in the concourse of the JH stand at half time 

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I feel as if there are double standards being applied here. If it had been either of the other 2 teams in this city, their fans would be getting all sorts of abuse. Why not the Raith fans ?

Whilst it is rightly highlighted ehat they done and if the culprit(s) is(are) found then they should be dealt with in the appropriate manner, to compare them to the absolute scumbags that follow those 2 other teams in the city is really stretching it. Have either of those 2 piped up when they have caused any damage??

Edited by Garscube Road End

59 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Whilst it is rightly highlighted ehat they done and if the culprit(s) is(are) found then they should be dealt with in the appropriate manner, to compare them to the absolute scumbags that follow those 2 other teams in the city is really stretching it. Have either of those 2 piped up when they have caused any damage??

Enlighten me GRE. How does someone go from letting off flares, endangering life, in an enclosed space to being absolute scumbags ?

9 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I feel as if there are double standards being applied here. If it had been either of the other 2 teams in this city, their fans would be getting all sorts of abuse. Why not the Raith fans ?

Definitely double standards. The press highlighted this but completely ignore the damage and bile that comes when the OF visit

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Enlighten me GRE. How does someone go from letting off flares, endangering life, in an enclosed space to being absolute scumbags ?

As I said those responsible should be held to account. The double standards do not exist here. The difference is that those two scumbag clubs get away with it through the reaction of the authorities and the media. They are utterly disgusting clubs. Raith Rovers FC have acknowledged what has happened and will act on it. Do the two other clubs do such things? No. They just arrogantly shrug their shoulders and look down on every other club as a piece os shit on their shoe.

35 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Definitely double standards. The press highlighted this but completely ignore the damage and bile that comes when the OF visit

And I think this is where we enter difficult waters.

If for arguments sake we can lay claim to 5000 Jags supporters, then either of the ugly sisters can lay claim to say 20 times a cheek more than that. By simple arithmetic us Jags fans have to be whatever multiple it is better than either of the ugly sisters. So for every one flare thrown on to a pitch by a Jags fan can be considered alike to say every 20 flares either of the arse cheeks do likewise. Get the drift?

Multiple the damage that the few hundred Raith fans have caused thru that sort of ratio and it makes the ugly sisters appear welcome visitors. Of course we all know the true story and we all appreciate the filth that the ugly sisters dump on our doorstep. Same time tho' Raith fans have set back the moral argument to a degree. Proportionally every seat a relative handful of Raith fans have damaged is equivalent to whatever damage a full JHS contingent of OF dross can inflict upon us.?

One thingy that's been a constant with me for six decades (is it really that many?) is not emulating Celtic or Rangers in any way whatsoever. I've never been either a vocal or demonstrative fan, just proud of the way we can differentiate ourselves. I hope we keep it that way.   

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

As I said those responsible should be held to account. The double standards do not exist here. The difference is that those two scumbag clubs get away with it through the reaction of the authorities and the media. They are utterly disgusting clubs. Raith Rovers FC have acknowledged what has happened and will act on it. Do the two other clubs do such things? No. They just arrogantly shrug their shoulders and look down on every other club as a piece os shit on their shoe.

Agree with you completely GRE ( and that doesn’t happen very often!)

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One thingy that's been a constant with me for six decades (is it really that many?) is not emulating Celtic or Rangers in any way whatsoever. I've never been either a vocal or demonstrative fan, just proud of the way we can differentiate ourselves. I hope we keep it that way.   

I agree with you in the context of your original argument. 

However across the board, I do find the "at least we aren't the Old Firm" trope a tiring one. Thistle have become such a cultureless club in my opinion (sorry), so a Jags fan saying the prevailing culture of Thistle is that we are not the Old Firm is equivalent to a Scottish person saying their culture is based on the fact they aren't English. Club culture can't be based on what you aren't, only what you are. The general behaviour of OF fans, along with the glory hunting and sectarian bile I find sickening. However I'm not against trying to emulate their domestic success, nor get fans through the gate. Ultimately that's what a football team should be. I get the general impression at times that success is a second thought, as long as we aren't anything like the OF. 

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

And I think this is where we enter difficult waters.

If for arguments sake we can lay claim to 5000 Jags supporters, then either of the ugly sisters can lay claim to say 20 times a cheek more than that. By simple arithmetic us Jags fans have to be whatever multiple it is better than either of the ugly sisters. So for every one flare thrown on to a pitch by a Jags fan can be considered alike to say every 20 flares either of the arse cheeks do likewise. Get the drift?

Multiple the damage that the few hundred Raith fans have caused thru that sort of ratio and it makes the ugly sisters appear welcome visitors. Of course we all know the true story and we all appreciate the filth that the ugly sisters dump on our doorstep. Same time tho' Raith fans have set back the moral argument to a degree. Proportionally every seat a relative handful of Raith fans have damaged is equivalent to whatever damage a full JHS contingent of OF dross can inflict upon us.?

How many seats have we smashed at parkhead compared to what they’ve broken at Firhill. Even per head count it massively out ways our supporters behavior.

Having more numbers does not allow for mob rule, but as the club and the press accept (And bow down to) the sectarian pound we say and do nothing, in fact the only statement we make is when their fans complained 

6 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I agree with you in the context of your original argument. 

However across the board, I do find the "at least we aren't the Old Firm" trope a tiring one. Thistle have become such a cultureless club in my opinion (sorry), so a Jags fan saying the prevailing culture of Thistle is that we are not the Old Firm is equivalent to a Scottish person saying their culture is based on the fact they aren't English. Club culture can't be based on what you aren't, only what you are. The general behaviour of OF fans, along with the glory hunting and sectarian bile I find sickening. However I'm not against trying to emulate their domestic success, nor get fans through the gate. Ultimately that's what a football team should be. I get the general impression at times that success is a second thought, as long as we aren't anything like the OF. 

Fair points Y&R.

To me Thistle should be about inclusivity, fun, not taking life too seriously, a bit of success now and again.

We are different from the OF who crave success at all costs and turn a blind eye to nastiness.

I’d love Thistle to be more successful, but not at the expense of the values highlighted above. 

We are the Alternative in Glasgow, no place for bigotry, sectarianism or hatred.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandy said:

Fair points Y&R.

To me Thistle should be about inclusivity, fun, not taking life too seriously, a bit of success now and again.

We are different from the OF who crave success at all costs and turn a blind eye to nastiness.

I’d love Thistle to be more successful, but not at the expense of the values highlighted above. 

We are the Alternative in Glasgow, no place for bigotry, sectarianism or hatred.

Your last sentence is what we should be striving for - But, unfortunately, I think a section of our support are bigoted towards the Old firm.

1 minute ago, Lenziejag said:

Your last sentence is what we should be striving for - But, unfortunately, I think a section of our support are bigoted towards the Old firm.

But is it ‘bigotry’ or just us taking a stand against extremes underpinned by (misguided) religious affinities? 

12 minutes ago, sandy said:

But is it ‘bigotry’ or just us taking a stand against extremes underpinned by (misguided) religious affinities? 

I don’t think some of the stuff on here is “just taking a stand” it seems like hatred and intolerance to me, which is the definition of bigotry.

I'm really interested in some of the posts here as this has been a sticking point with me for a long time. 

Although we have always had the bumper tag-line "Glasgow's Alternative," what is to stop Queens Park, Pollock, Maryhill, etc. being Glasgow's alternative? With their illustrious history, amazing youth academy, and well financed model, we are in real danger of becoming Glasgow's 4th team  behind a full-time Queens Park in a few seasons (if we don't arrest the slide). So my point is, by saying we are Glasgow's alternative club, we are once again just basing our entire club on what we aren't (the OF) as opposed to what we are. And I find the wishy-washy labels like "family friendly" or "inclusive" being applied to about 95% of Scottish teams; I don't think that's what drives people to really support a football team. Ask most fans why they support a club and they'll tell you it's because of where they grew up, or it was who their mum/dad/whoever supported. Maybe we are an exception to that rule; I don't know. Just interesting.