Fan Ownership

scotty

I'm taking a chance on starting this thread as there will always be the danger that some will just carry on the old debates from the New Owner thread. But circumstances have moved on 3BC have bought the majority of shares in the club and have promised to give to shares to a fans' organisation within three months.

I for one would like the discussion to move on to how we would like that organisation to function. I'm sure there will be differing opinions on how it should be set up and operate and believe that it will be worthwhile starting to discuss it now. Three months is not a long time and if we want the best set-up should we not hear as many opinions and ideas as possible. If we can develop ideas on here then maybe someone from the trusts will read them and take them on board. And, if ideas come out here that others agree with it may give some the impetus to become involved if they feel there is support for the way they are feeling.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scotty said:

I'm taking a chance on starting this thread as there will always be the danger that some will just carry on the old debates from the New Owner thread. But circumstances have moved on 3BC have bought the majority of shares in the club and have promised to give to shares to a fans' organisation within three months.

I for one would like the discussion to move on to how we would like that organisation to function. I'm sure there will be differing opinions on how it should be set up and operate and believe that it will be worthwhile starting to discuss it now. Three months is not a long time and if we want the best set-up should we not hear as many opinions and ideas as possible. If we can develop ideas on here then maybe someone from the trusts will read them and take them on board. And, if ideas come out here that others agree with it may give some the impetus to become involved if they feel there is support for the way they are feeling.

Or maybe since some people involved in the Trusts and TFE operate behind a cloak of anonymity on here, they will propose their own ideas onto this thread, then adopt them?!!

Joking apart, I think this thread is a good idea.  Well done. 

To kick things off, one thing I would like to see (and I think it may have been put forward by TFE) is that voting rights for the organisation are on a one member one vote basis. That way those who cannot afford to contribute as much as others have the same ability to contribute ideas. I would also like to see no minimum to contributions.

21 minutes ago, scotty said:

To kick things off, one thing I would like to see (and I think it may have been put forward by TFE) is that voting rights for the organisation are on a one member one vote basis. That way those who cannot afford to contribute as much as others have the same ability to contribute ideas. I would also like to see no minimum to contributions.

A very democratic point.

The present Trust document excuses, carves out conflicts of interest. That should not be the case in any future document.

There should be published effectively a service contract for fan-appointed directors even though they are not being paid that governs their roles and responsibilities, and processes for removal etc. Directors should be selected after skills audits, with people putting themselves forward in the skills silos lacking.

That's my starts for ten.

I would also like to see a single organisation owning the club. As it stands we have 3BC, The Jags Trust, PTFC Trust all owning shares along with any individual shareholders who have not sold (if there are any). The two trusts need to become a single, new  entity in order to receive the gift of shares from 3BC. It should be time to start over completely and leave behind the old rivalries between the Trusts (or supporters busses!)

• Like 2

I feel something has to be done about season ticketing and perhaps that can be addressed in tandem to all this. I may be wrong but I get the impression our ratio of ST sales to regular fanbase is very low in comparison to other similar sized clubs. Personally I think we require a more imaginative approach offering different levels of ST packages with top levels interacting with some basic hospitality.

In my view a fan owned club should have a higher percentage ST uptake than non fan owned. Don't ask me to explain why that should be the case as that's purely intuitive on my part. 

22 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I feel something has to be done about season ticketing and perhaps that can be addressed in tandem to all this. I may be wrong but I get the impression our ratio of ST sales to regular fanbase is very low in comparison to other similar sized clubs. Personally I think we require a more imaginative approach offering different levels of ST packages with top levels interacting with some basic hospitality.

In my view a fan owned club should have a higher percentage ST uptake than non fan owned. Don't ask me to explain why that should be the case as that's purely intuitive on my part. 

I had wondered if season ticket holders should automatically become part of the ownership but am in two thoughts on that. Maybe there could be one level where membership is included as well as having the other added values you have mentioned.

Edited by scotty
grammer
  • Like 1

I think buying a ST should lead to ownership rights of some description, perhaps if you have held a ST for 2 years or more you automatically have some sort of  ownership / voting rights? 

I think at present if you have a ST for 3+ years you gain membership of the Jags Trust? I don't know what benefits there are to being part of the JT?

My feeling is much as yours, this change in ownership is an opportunity to get all the Partick Thistle 'ducks in a row' with regards to the various supporters organisations, at the moment it feels like the Monty Python joke about 'The peoples front for Judea' and 'The Judean peoples front' 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scotty said:

Slight problem I see with this is that anyone with a list of names and addresses could very cheaply buy substantial voting rights.

I'm sure there's a way around it, to ensure a very representative voting structure, but I'm not sure that one person per vote on the basis of minimal investment is quite right.

24 minutes ago, 1876 said:

Personally like us to take back control of the catering again 

Got two grandson that cost a fortune every home game 

Also stop those stewards walking up and down every 5 minutes 

Blocking our view 

Don't know if fan ownership will be able to do anything about your grandweans! :thinking:

From the statements that were made when the takeover was announced it looks like the new set up will be based on the Well Society so I thought it might be useful to post a link to their website:

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/

There is a good section here as well if you don't have the time to look through the whole site:

http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/your-questions-answered/

Clearly some of the points raised are specific to Motherwell but I think it offers a good insight in to the overall approach.

I realise some people wanted fan ownership whilst others did not but the reality is that is what we are going to have so it would be good to see everyone engaging positively so we end up with the best set up going forward.

Some of the information on the Well Society's Q & A section is a bit out of date.  At the time some of the sections were written the Well Society were still trying to buy out the remaining shares. That's one thing we don't need to do and the reason many fans of other clubs must be looking on what Colin Weir has done with envy!

Just now, scotty said:

Some of the information on the Well Society's Q & A section is a bit out of date.  At the time some of the sections were written the Well Society were still trying to buy out the remaining shares. That's one thing we don't need to do and the reason many fans of other clubs must be looking on what Colin Weir has done with envy!

I dont think anyone can look on with envy until we see what actually happens. 

7 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I dont think anyone can look on with envy until we see what actually happens. 

I can appreciate the point GRE is making. What we have got here is an opportunity and opportunities can either be taken or squandered. What I am hoping for is that we can all work together, we do support the same club after all, to make sure this opportunity is grasped with both hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I can appreciate the point GRE is making. What we have got here is an opportunity and opportunities can either be taken or squandered. What I am hoping for is that we can all work together, we do support the same club after all, to make sure this opportunity is grasped with both hands.

Absolutely agree, hopefully we can get everyone onside and feel part of things again .

40 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Absolutely agree, hopefully we can get everyone onside and feel part of things again .

The Model will be decided upon by 3BC  as its there Shares so No idea why people are suggesting the Fans have a say 

The Board was decided by 3BC

The Steering Group will be decided by the Board 

Final say goes back to 3BC 

10 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The Model will be decided upon by 3BC  as its there Shares so No idea why people are suggesting the Fans have a say 

The Board was decided by 3BC

The Steering Group will be decided by the Board 

Final say goes back to 3BC 

TBC’s priorities for the interim Board in the coming months are to ensure that the management team is supported in the January window and that the Club returns to its previous stability. It has also asked the PTFC Trust and Thistle for Ever group to work together to bring forward a workable model for fan ownership – under a new united banner – that will be developed with input from the Thistle fanbase. This will then be approved by TBC and the Thistle Board prior to the shares being transferred to fan ownership by 30th March 2020 at the latest. If work concludes sooner, the transfer will happen earlier.

I would hope that when an opportunity to contribute comes up as many people as possible take it as for this to be a success we need all parts of the support to be on board with it.

46 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Probably half of the guys on here are in either of those bodies!!!

If that's true then surely one or two of them can say what they intend doing?

Aside from that, for the two trusts (Jags and PTFC) to hand their shares over to a third organisation then they will each need to organise at least an EGM in order to avoid any legal action. 3BC are not majority shareholders in PTFC so all the shares will need to be aggregated for it to be fan owned.