Alloa at Home 26/11/19

Auld Jag

17 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe it was all part of a master plan.

1/Get as quick a lead as possible on Saturday. Accomplished with aplomb.

2/Sit back the rest of the game and don't do anything exerting. Accomplished with aplomb.

I see what you did there!

'Aplomb' from the Latin 'plumbum' meaning lead, as in 'leaden-footed.'

Clever stuff LIB.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, sandy said:

Agree Norgethistle. Quite how we ended up with such a sh*te squad is beyond me, but I’d welcome 3 points more than I’d welcome Christmas.

Basically down to appalling recruitment in two consecutive summer windows. What the two responsible managers saw in the mediocre dross they brought in I'll never know. 

I still feel midfield is a concern. Taking Shea's nose for goals out of the coming fixtures is a big negative for me.

We've got Joe Cardle back but he hasn't created much this season. At least he is a trier who keeps going even when things aren't coming off for him.

Slater is back fit but I've never really worked out what he brings to the side.

GGH is back too but again what does he bring to the side?

Cole and Palmer have talent but are still learning the game.

The Lesser Spotted Banzo returns soon. Hopefully he can bring an upturn in form.

We're still looking for a midfield spoiler. Defensive midfielder if you prefer. The young Finnish lad at Arbroath looks like he could be worth a shot!

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He then had a serious setback during recuperation.

Saw Shea on Saturday in crutches talking to fans before the game, so it was hardly a surprise to hear he'd be out for a good while. Gordon has come in for a fair bit of stick this season from many fans (myself included). Midfield duties seem to pass him by too often. I'm sure tho' it's not due to lack of effort, more down to being off the pace. The nature of his red card v Ayr kinda supports that.

On reflection we really should cut the lad some slack. He'd not long turned 20 when he got injured and he had very little experience prior to his lay off. As said before I reckon it's easier to get a goalscoring midfielder more involved in midfield than getting a busy midfielder to add goals to his game. 

I wasn’t blaming him for the midfield performances. He has had some long layoffs for such a young guy.

56 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I still feel midfield is a concern. Taking Shea's nose for goals out of the coming fixtures is a big negative for me.

We've got Joe Cardle back but he hasn't created much this season. At least he is a trier who keeps going even when things aren't coming off for him.

Slater is back fit but I've never really worked out what he brings to the side.

GGH is back too but again what does he bring to the side?

Cole and Palmer have talent but are still learning the game.

The Lesser Spotted Banzo returns soon. Hopefully he can bring an upturn in form.

We're still looking for a midfield spoiler. Defensive midfielder if you prefer. The young Finnish lad at Arbroath looks like he could be worth a shot!

I thought Slater and  Cole combined well in central midfield against Stenny. Then Cole has contributed a couple of goals since then. I'd start Slater, Cole and Cardle with either Robson or De Vita on left. I know De Vita has come in for criticism, however I think there's something there - seen a lot worse.

No lack of effort in that half. Two glorious chances missed which could have seen us go in 3-1 up which would have been fair on the balance of play.

Why Slater blasted it straight at the keeper from 10yds totally baffles me. On a wet pitch like this a wee shimmy and a toe poke in the corner would have left McDonald helpless.  Somehow we have to get this team to believe in themselves and try to show more flair instead of doing the expected ball every time.

Still, confident we can win this.

• Like 1

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

A grim result. Awful.

I’d say disappointing rather than awful. I would consider awful as being beaten.

wasnt there but sounds like we should have hammered them so the players were up for it(which they should be).

we got a thrashing last time we played the pars so hopefully the players are keen to put that right on Saturday 

• Like 1