Alloa at Home 26/11/19

Auld Jag

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I’d say disappointing rather than awful. I would consider awful as being beaten.

wasnt there but sounds like we should have hammered them so the players were up for it(which they should be).

we got a thrashing last time we played the pars so hopefully the players are keen to put that right on Saturday 

Its grim that we didnt beat the team immediately above us at home. Even our recent victories haven't been impressive. We have been dreadful all season. 

29 minutes ago, Big Col said:

A point at home against a part time team is an awful result, make no mistake. This has to be one of the worst squad of players we have ever had.

So bad in fact, that we will struggle to move them on in January. Who in their right mind would take them?

Totally agree with your assessment but no idea why McCall didn’t gamble in the last 10 mins , either by taking off a midfield player and shoving Mansell or Jones on or even shoving Mcginty upfront and launching it .

Different ways to win a football match but we need to start winning games , IMO we should have gambled a bit more to try and win the game .

We made it too easy for Alloa to get their point 

29 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

My worry is getting detached and the danger of struggling to sign better players while stuck at the bottom.

To be fair to McCall, he often offers player from lower levels a chance rather than persuade players at higher level, so that may not be such an issue

Whether that's what we need is of course, a different question

Thought we looked pretty decent tonight and a large improvement on the Caldwell era. Midfield 3 of Slater, Palmer and Cole worked really well. There was bit more cut and thrust to the passing and Cole rightly won man of the match as he ran the whole game from start to finish. We should be signing him permanently if possible. Possibly the best midfield performance in 2 seasons.

O'Ware was excellent in the air and Kakay was good as well. Looked to me that the Alloa goal game came from Penrice going into win the ball and not getting it then McGinty looked slow to react. Rather than showing the Alloa playing down the line he allowed him to cut inside and get a shot/cross away that got deflected past Sneddon.

Up front was were we looked off it. Cardle kept getting in decent positions and then either hitting a cross to no-one or miss hitting a pass.  Normally he would have been subbed but the options on the bench were so limited you could see why McCall kept him on. Zannatta was bit better than Cardle but still not really clicking with Miller.

Miller wasn't great tonight. He should have scored first half but apart from that I don't remember him having a chance and was frequently not in the box when we needed him to be.

We could have easily won that game by 3 or 4 goals if we had taken a fraction of our chances. Miller should have scored when clean through, Slater should have scored when he just had the keeper to beat from the edge of the box, there were a couple of scrambles in the Alloa defence at corners and when Cole hit the bar from a freekick you just though this is one of these nights where we just can't score.

Overall I left the game thinking we'll be ok if we turn in that sort of performance on a regular basis.. Alloa looked like they aren't as good as last year, whilst they can defend they are not as tight as under Goodwin and they struggled to retain any possession under pressure. They look like they'll be around the bottom along with Morton.

• Like 2

Alloa are the poorest team I’ve seen at firhill this year- but the fact we couldn’t beat them is worrying. Cardle is not good enough, Miller is not good enough and Zanatta after a brilliant debut looks poor as well. It is the lack of creativity and ability to take chances that is killing us. That is not down to bad luck- it’s simply because we are poor. Was anyone actually surprised when Alloa took the lead? It’s just like ground hog day. The squad needs a massive overhaul and I’m not sure that can be achieved in this window. If we stay up that will be a good achievement this year 

The mid 3 were good and Kakay improves every game.

Miller was fine but there is a lack of quality/composure in final 3rd. Cardle could have been subbed after 25 minutes he was so bad. He had infinite possession and nearly always gave it away.

Surely at least 30 minutes of Harkins would have made a difference or was McCall making a point after Saturday?

Alloa are a dreadful team. Even Buchanan played out the game ‘behind the ball’. We should be humping teams like this.

It would help if we took our easy chances early on before we lapse into despondency which the lasts the whole game.

I said in a previous post that I don't see us getting much out of this squad and that, short term, our season is all about staying in touch with the rest of the league until January. 

If we can do this McCall will then have the opportunity to bring in his own players. 

I am happy to accept the assessment of jags fans who are able to attend matches on a regular basis and regret that due to geography I am not one of them. 

So suggestions about what type of players and in what positions we need are OK with me. Seems we need 5/6 January signings who have to hit the ground running. 

We also need an experienced striker who can score 10-15 goals a season, is a penalty box player, has an excellent first touch with the composure to match. 

With Mansell in the middle (to soften up the opposition), Miller on the (Mansell's) right the player I am thinking off would be ideal playing on the left of a front 3.

Anyone got any idea who I am thinking of? 

2 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I said in a previous post that I don't see us getting much out of this squad and that, short term, our season is all about staying in touch with the rest of the league until January. 

If we can do this McCall will then have the opportunity to bring in his own players. 

I am happy to accept the assessment of jags fans who are able to attend matches on a regular basis and regret that due to geography I am not one of them. 

So suggestions about what type of players and in what positions we need are OK with me. Seems we need 5/6 January signings who have to hit the ground running. 

We also need an experienced striker who can score 10-15 goals a season, is a penalty box player, has an excellent first touch with the composure to match. 

With Mansell in the middle (to soften up the opposition), Miller on the (Mansell's) right the player I am thinking off would be ideal playing on the left of a front 3.

Anyone got any idea who I am thinking of? 

Initial's KD?

If we had played like we did on Saturday Alloa would've beaten us easily. So at least we've improved since the weekend. Result was about right. We were the better team and created more chances but if you squander them then you get what you deserve.

It's just our luck that two of the few players I'd give pass marks to tonight are only here till January, We might bring in a decent enough player in a more required position but I doubt we'll get better than Cole. Would like to see him stay. Quite like Kakay as well but feel he's more easily replaceable. Going to be a struggle to not be adrift of the pack from now till January and I'm far from confident we'll strengthen that much anyway.

• Like 1

Feel like that was a massive two points dropped but at the same time I think if we play like that most weeks we'll be fine. A better team than Alloa would have made it a far more open game which would've suited us,especially second half. Add in McCall making improvements come January and I'm not overly concerned about us being involved in a relegation battle. Reece cole is a class act no doubt about it (can't believe the keeper saved his free kick!) and I thought slater was very good. Also thought oware and karay were solid in their roles. Big mcginty had one of his poorer games. A lot of his poor play was unforced and for someone so big he struggled to deal with the physicality of their centre forward. Our wide players frustrated the life out me tonight. Constantly over doing it and/or picking the wrong option. I watched McCall more than a few times tonight go mad at what he was watching and I'm in no doubt he knows where our deficiencies lie. To be fair some of that ire might have been directed at an absolutely woeful referee. 

I'm puzzled that quite a few people seem to think there's not much cause for concern at our current situation; I see it as nothing short of truly alarming. If, as form predicts, we lose at East End Park on Saturday, but even if we draw and Alloa win at home against ICT then we become totally detached and alone on the trapdoor to relegation, well before we've even got to Christmas.

The squad is dire. Either struggle to beat or can't beat part-timers, repeatedly.

McCall must be aware of the dross, but he's got to try to put a positive spin on it until at least the transfer window. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jaf said:

To be fair to McCall, he often offers player from lower levels a chance rather than persuade players at higher level, so that may not be such an issue

Whether that's what we need is of course, a different question

Why be fair to McCall ? What has he done to get better treatment than other managers