Alloa at Home 26/11/19

Auld Jag

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'm puzzled that quite a few people seem to think there's not much cause for concern at our current situation; I see it as nothing short of truly alarming. If, as form predicts, we lose at East End Park on Saturday, but even if we draw and Alloa win at home against ICT then we become totally detached and alone on the trapdoor to relegation, well before we've even got to Christmas.

The squad is dire. Either struggle to beat or can't beat part-timers, repeatedly.

McCall must be aware of the dross, but he's got to try to put a positive spin on it until at least the transfer window. 

Which form table are you referring to ? Thistle haven’t lost in 4, Dunfermline have lost their last 2.

Having said that, I am not confident of getting a result at EE park. But based on last night, I can’t see Alloa beating ICT either

Main issue for me up front. We have no central striker to hold the ball up , pressure the centre backs. 

Miller isn't that man, he likes to drop off and take the ball or run on to it.  Mansell/jones could play this role but I don't think either of them can cut it at this level. 

Also as I was walking past the alloa fans (all 87 of them) on the way out I heard a guy sat, Cardel flatters to deceive and he is a greedy so and so. This is an issue he wants to score from all angles rather than just look up pass/cross to other players. 

We are going to need 5/6 in the window I think, positives Cole & Kakay are improving and are better than anything we have. Slater is getting back fitness.

27 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Which form table are you referring to ? Thistle haven’t lost in 4, Dunfermline have lost their last 2.

Having said that, I am not confident of getting a result at EE park. But based on last night, I can’t see Alloa beating ICT either

Recent league form, which is that Dunfermline have won 9 points out of 15, compared to our 4 points.

14 hours ago, Kingleo said:

Look at that bench. Utter dross every one of them. What would you bring on there if you needed to chase a win

Absoutely; unmitigated dross.

Presumably McCall must know this too as he elected to play a tough game for 90 minutes on  a heavy park with the starting eleven.

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If we had played like we did on Saturday Alloa would've beaten us easily. So at least we've improved since the weekend. Result was about right. We were the better team and created more chances but if you squander them then you get what you deserve.

It's just our luck that two of the few players I'd give pass marks to tonight are only here till January, We might bring in a decent enough player in a more required position but I doubt we'll get better than Cole. Would like to see him stay. Quite like Kakay as well but feel he's more easily replaceable. Going to be a struggle to not be adrift of the pack from now till January and I'm far from confident we'll strengthen that much anyway.

I said on the way home last night it is worrying that our two best players are only signed until January.

Hopefully we can get extension on them both until the end of the season.

If anybody thinks for a minute we can sign Reece Cole on a permanent deal they can forget it.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why be fair to McCall ? What has he done to get better treatment than other managers

I heard someone saying on the way out the ground last night "If that was this time last year, the manager would be getting pelters."

That was our strongest team on the park last night. Bannigan might have been better than either Slater or Palmer, but it's arguable. There was no one on the bench - obviously - who could make a significant contribution.

With a bit of luck, we might have scraped a win, but we're not able to break down opposition who press and defend like Alloa. (And I don't think it matters if the opposition is part-time, non-league or whatever - any half competent team who set up to frustrate their opponents will cause the current Thistle team problems.)

We'll do better, ironically, against sides who come at us and give us space to work. Playing Dunfermline away next might be ideal in some ways.

Where it leaves us is still needing to recruit better players. There's a fragility about the team that needs addressed. The defence looks prone to making mistakes in every game. (Last night being a good example. What was Penrice doing?) 

I notice that some posters are already hinting that McCall shouldn't be immune from criticism, but I think he is. He's putting the best team available to him on the park and, mostly, if last night is anything to go by, they're giving their all. He's stuck with the squad as it is, but I'm confident change will come in January.

I suppose we just need to keep plugging away until things improve. Not much fun, though, is it?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

That was our strongest team on the park last night. Bannigan might have been better than either Slater or Palmer, but it's arguable. There was no one on the bench - obviously - who could make a significant contribution.

With a bit of luck, we might have scraped a win, but we're not able to break down opposition who press and defend like Alloa. (And I don't think it matters if the opposition is part-time, non-league or whatever - any half competent team who set up to frustrate their opponents will cause the current Thistle team problems.)

We'll do better, ironically, against sides who come at us and give us space to work. Playing Dunfermline away next might be ideal in some ways.

Where it leaves us is still needing to recruit better players. There's a fragility about the team that needs addressed. The defence looks prone to making mistakes in every game. (Last night being a good example. What was Penrice doing?) 

I notice that some posters are already hinting that McCall shouldn't be immune from criticism, but I think he is. He's putting the best team available to him on the park and, mostly, if last night is anything to go by, they're giving their all. He's stuck with the squad as it is, but I'm confident change will come in January.

I suppose we just need to keep plugging away until things improve. Not much fun, though, is it?

It’s not that we didn’t make chances last night - it’s that we aren’t taking enough. 18 shots; 5 on target. 

17 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

After 11 games in charge, Caldwell had 1 win and 2 draws. That’s why he would have been getting pelters. McCall has 6 wins ?

I was merely pointing out that the manager may not be as immune from criticism as some may think..

15 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

After 11 games in charge, Caldwell had 1 win and 2 draws. That’s why he would have been getting pelters. McCall has 6 wins ?

I also think that Caldwell inherited a better squad (not that it was good). The likes of Doolan, Erskine, Fitzpatick, Elliot, Spittal even bloody Storey (at a pinch if only for pace) would improve this team-

43 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

That's what I've taken from the last two games. Sadly.

Needs to change dramatically,  but it can't with the present squad.

1 minute ago, Springburnjag said:

Interesting to hear Macall after last nights game talking about bringing in new players in January .... 2/3 or 5/6 !

the good news is that there will be changes the bad news we need as many as we can get !

Agree, but the downside being that the more we bring in the longer they will take to knit as a unit. Chances are that we'll get a player or two from a bigger club that's not been getting a game, so there's match fitness issues as well. Mind you, altho' his influence faded, Anderson made a positive impact and McDonald more or less hit the ground running. 

I'm hopeful McCall will strengthen effectively. Unless we get well clear of the bottom two by January I guess the emphasis will be on quick fix players. Experience (and hopefully leadership) over potential. That in itself is a pity as there's very few current squad players showing signs of improvement. Very few indeed I want to see here past January never mind next season. 

btw could be one of the new signings will have to be a goalie tho' I imagine we can get an emergency loan signing outside of the window?

58 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree, but the downside being that the more we bring in the longer they will take to knit as a unit. Chances are that we'll get a player or two from a bigger club that's not been getting a game, so there's match fitness issues as well. Mind you, altho' his influence faded, Anderson made a positive impact and McDonald more or less hit the ground running. 

I'm hopeful McCall will strengthen effectively. Unless we get well clear of the bottom two by January I guess the emphasis will be on quick fix players. Experience (and hopefully leadership) over potential. That in itself is a pity as there's very few current squad players showing signs of improvement. Very few indeed I want to see here past January never mind next season. 

btw could be one of the new signings will have to be a goalie tho' I imagine we can get an emergency loan signing outside of the window?

Why? Is Fox knackered?

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes we can for a goalkeeper 

our key failing under Archie and Caldwell was player recruitment so this clearly needs to improve ....fingers crossed !

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

The thought occured to me that Storey would have caused Alloa more problems last night than Zanatta did.

I may cry.

Near wet myself at the idea of Storey causing anyone problems. In the few years I had to watch that guy in a Thistle strip he was mind numbingly awful.

Zannata hasn't been great but he played well last night and came damn close to matching Storey's season scoring average. 

I wouldn't say a goalkeeper was my main concern just now, but  no doubt Alloa went away  with a point last night thanks to a solid performance from 

their keeper, Jamie McDonald. His save from Reece Cole's free kick was a stunner.  

Our biggest problems lie elsewhere.

I found myself instinctively applauding an attempt on goal by Alloa last night.  They picked a loose ball in their half and cut through our midfield

and defence with two passes, ending with a strike on goal that just whistled past the post.

We never do that!  Our play is ponderous and predictable with the ball usually played across the park and out to the wing for a punt into the box if we're lucky.

When we do find a bit of space someone will go on a run, usually Penrice, Zanatta or Cardle but the final ball is usually non existent or just abysmal. 

What was Cardle playing at last night?  He's an experienced player, yet often when he gets in a promising position, he hesitates too long or skys the ball out of play.

Zanatta has pace but is otherwise clueless about beating a defender and invariably loses any 50/50 tussles once tackled. His tactic then is usually just to fall down.

His scream last night as he fell in the box from a knock on the leg was just embarrassing.  Seconds later he was running around like a whippet. Not my kind of player at all.

We should have won that game last night. 

13 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I found myself instinctively applauding an attempt on goal by Alloa last night.  They picked a loose ball in their half and cut through our midfield

and defence with two passes, ending with a strike on goal that just whistled past the post.

We never do that! 

How did we fashion Slater and Miller's missed chances?

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Why? Is Fox knackered?

2 hours ago, delurker said:

Fox was replaced at kick-off by Sneddon after injuring his Achilles in the warm-up. No idea how serious it is.

Wasn't meaning to create any alarm just going on this comment from McCall "He has done his Achilles and that is an area of the body you take absolutely no risks with. We don’t know how long or how serious it is yet but hopefully he isn’t on the sideline."