Alloa at Home 26/11/19

Auld Jag

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree, but the downside being that the more we bring in the longer they will take to knit as a unit. Chances are that we'll get a player or two from a bigger club that's not been getting a game, so there's match fitness issues as well. Mind you, altho' his influence faded, Anderson made a positive impact and McDonald more or less hit the ground running. 

I'm hopeful McCall will strengthen effectively. Unless we get well clear of the bottom two by January I guess the emphasis will be on quick fix players. Experience (and hopefully leadership) over potential. That in itself is a pity as there's very few current squad players showing signs of improvement. Very few indeed I want to see here past January never mind next season. 

btw could be one of the new signings will have to be a goalie tho' I imagine we can get an emergency loan signing outside of the window?

They might take a while to gel as a unit, but then again even Caldwell (who I realised too late was a dud) did get a fast turnaround in results with the new guys from January onwards 

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

They might take a while to gel as a unit, but then again even Caldwell (who I realised too late was a dud) did get a fast turnaround in results with the new guys from January onwards 

Felt three contributed. Most obviously McDonald, and as I said Anderson initially. Cardle was useful as well. Even with that we still went to the last game of the season before we were safe.

What will McCall do? Bring in three more old heids? I don't think that would be feasible this time around given we've already got a few oldsters already and even tho' we're lacking in leadership. We need pace, creativity and that elusive character, the proven goalscorer.  Won't be easy for McCall.

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Felt three contributed. Most obviously McDonald, and as I said Anderson initially. Cardle was useful as well. Even with that we still went to the last game of the season before we were safe.

What will McCall do? Bring in three more old heids? I don't think that would be feasible this time around given we've already got a few oldsters already and even tho' we're lacking in leadership. We need pace, creativity and that elusive character, the proven goalscorer.  Won't be easy for McCall.

This m’lady. It’s going to be a crucial couple of months for the management team.

We had a chance to get off the bottom of the league last night but couldn’t take it. We need 3 points off Dunfermline IMO.

53 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'd be adding the guy from Livingstone. McMillan? And probably Saunders to be honest. And Harkins chipped on occasionally.

Truth is that Caldwell had a decent window there, albeit very short term in its objectives and its success.

Caldwell recruited to play 3-5-2 which to a degree explains why we only signed 3 strikers and 2 wingers. If the rumours are true on what we are paying Miller it probably explains why the backup striking options are so poor because we blew the budget on a 40 year old. In Caldwell's plan we weren't going to play wingers but wingbacks so I think he saw Cardle as an impact sub and Zanatta as the striking partner to Miller. Caldwell's system hinged on getting good wingbacks but both Robson and Williamson look well below the standard required.

McCall has improved the team and tried to get them back to playing a 4-3-3 which is the better system for this league and the majority of the good players we have but he is badly hampered by the squad.

We desperately need at least one winger (Erskine? Forest?), a centre forward (Doolan?) and a left sided centre back just to get competition for places. If we can't extend Palmer, Cole's and Kakay's loans then we'll need a right back and possibly a central midfielder or two as well now that Gordon is out for a while.

The other part of the puzzle will be getting a few out. I don't see DeVita's loan being extended. Harkins, Williamson, Robson, Jones and Mansell all look to be surplus to requirements but getting them out may proove difficult.

Before the transfer window opens we have 5 games and probably need 8 points from those to not get isolated. McCall has a bit of a job on his hands but I feel he is the man most capable of doing it.

16 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Or Cole’s goal on Saturday?

Cole's goal  on Saturday came from a punt up the park from our defence.

Nothing wrong with that when appropriate, but it's hardly silky football and would normally be dealt with by a more experienced defence than Penicuik's .

Millers chance v Alloa came from a fortuitous break of the ball. 

I can't recall how Slater found himself room for a shot on goal, but neither do I recall a passing movement from us creating the opportunity.  

The point I was trying to make was that I rarely see any play from Thistle that's obviously been worked on in training providing rewards.  In the move from Alloa that I admired, the midfield player didn’t have to look up for his team mate, he knew exactly where the guy would be and put the ball on a plate.

14 hours ago, laukat said:

Caldwell recruited to play 3-5-2 which to a degree explains why we only signed 3 strikers and 2 wingers. If the rumours are true on what we are paying Miller it probably explains why the backup striking options are so poor because we blew the budget on a 40 year old. In Caldwell's plan we weren't going to play wingers but wingbacks so I think he saw Cardle as an impact sub and Zanatta as the striking partner to Miller. Caldwell's system hinged on getting good wingbacks but both Robson and Williamson look well below the standard required.

McCall has improved the team and tried to get them back to playing a 4-3-3 which is the better system for this league and the majority of the good players we have but he is badly hampered by the squad.

We desperately need at least one winger (Erskine? Forest?), a centre forward (Doolan?) and a left sided centre back just to get competition for places. If we can't extend Palmer, Cole's and Kakay's loans then we'll need a right back and possibly a central midfielder or two as well now that Gordon is out for a while.

The other part of the puzzle will be getting a few out. I don't see DeVita's loan being extended. Harkins, Williamson, Robson, Jones and Mansell all look to be surplus to requirements but getting them out may proove difficult.

Before the transfer window opens we have 5 games and probably need 8 points from those to not get isolated. McCall has a bit of a job on his hands but I feel he is the man most capable of doing it.

Agree with this summation, but I would say if we don't get extensions to Palmer, Cole's and Kakay's loans we may be in serious trouble as I don't see that quality of player being readily available to us come the January window.

I struggle with the doolan and erskine suggestions as to me it’s based on what they did in the past not what they could do in the future 

we have Austin who may or may not ever play for us ! And jones to come back .... it would be good to see if McCall can get anything from them 

but given the board statement last week I expect a few ins and outs in January 

Edited by Springburnjag

He is on loan until the end of the season, only thing we can hope for is that there is a break clause in his loan to send him back

2 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Nothing wrong with that when appropriate, but it's hardly silky football and would normally be dealt with by a more experienced defence than Penicuik's .

I can't recall how Slater found himself room for a shot on goal, but neither do I recall a passing movement from us creating the opportunity.  

The point I was trying to make was that I rarely see any play from Thistle that's obviously been worked on in training providing rewards.  In the move from Alloa that I admired, the midfield player didn’t have to look up for his team mate, he knew exactly where the guy would be and put the ball on a plate.

Sure, that Alloa move was impressive but it was their only good move.

Thistle were superb for the 1st 15 minutes and produced some excellent passing moves, one of which resulted in Slater’s chance. Miller’s chance came from his pace following Slater dispossessing an Alloa player.

However when we didn’t score all the movement and passing ceased.  This has been happening in all games recently where the intensity level drops to zero. I think McCall has found a good midfield 3 but they are fairly inexperienced and need to be encouraged to keep driving forward to dominate when things go quiet.

3 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I think it is a bit unfair to say it was a punt up the park. Granted it was route 1, but it was directed to Cole - not just a punt.