January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

Another Christmas season approaches but for me like other Jags fans, thoughts drift to January and who, what and why will be entering/ exiting Firhill.

Last season we had a nice return from Scott McDonald with a couple of stocking fillers getting us over the line.

It's not been pretty but Mr McCall has started to turn things around. We're still staring down the barrel of 11th or 12th place though and the manager has said we need anywhere from 2 or 3 to 5 or 6 new signings.

Who would you like in who would you particularly like to see the back of in January 2020? 

I really likes the look of young Finnish midfielder Miko Virtanen. On the books of Aberdeen and currently on loan at Arbroath.

A sitting midfielder who can pick a pass as well as able to win the ball back. 

Another loan but he plays a position we have been sorely lacking in for two and a bit seasons. Would maybe allow Bannigan and our other midfielders to play more forward which would hopefully increase chances created and better ball retention and play the game further forward.

No idea if he's on loan until January or beyond. However McCall and Archibald seem to have a good working relationship with McInnes at Aberdeen.

15 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Just to get in first Davis Keillor-Dunn is still unattached according to his wikipedia. Would be a good acquisition in my view. 

I'm surprised he's not been picked up yet. Apparently left County as he wanted more game time. Possibly if he left in September this has precluded him for signing for another club until January.

Apart from creativity and leadership we're desperate for more pace in the team. By definition I'd say that it's highly unlikely that someone offering all three talents would  be affordable. Indeed it'll be a tall order bringing in anyone that offers two out of three. When you add a goalscorer to the tally we could be requiring a fair few in January. Gut feeling tells me it's leadership we need the most, ideally a hard tackling midfielder.

Don't know of many players available we should sign if available. The centreback O'Brien at Arbroath springs to mind but I'm assuming he's part time for a good reason. Said before if possible extending Reece Cole's loan would be worthwhile especially if we bring in some muscle in midfield. Think he could develop a worthwhile partnership with Bannigan if both weren't played so deep, again dependent on bringing in that defensive mid.

17 minutes ago, jaf said:

For me, the thing we most need is a defensive midfielder, as has been the case for quite some time.

We could also do with a goalscorer to reduce the burden on Kenny Miller and the expectation on Jones.

We are top heavy with midfielders. Its the attacking side of our game that has been woeful for at least 2 years. Another striker has to be top of the wish list.

As for defensive midfielders, what bracket does Banzo fall under? I've heard him described as one of the best in the league? A defensive midfielder is the default position when you have no pace and/or no skill. Some of our players cant even pass the ball 10 yards to each other. If neither Slater, Banzo, Harkins, Palmer, Cole are defensive midfielders then what else are they doing marking each other in the centre circle?

Edited by MonehJags

I have no idea if any of these are possible however..

Someone like Draper at Ross County would to my mind plug the gap in midfield.

I would like Alan Forest at Ayr to take over from Cardle and put pressure on Zanatta but if we can't get him then Erskine would be a good option. Ideally I would like both but then again if Mitch Austin is any good maybe we only need one.

Zak Rudden's loan to Plymouth is up in January so he would be an ideal addition up front. If we got Doolan back as well then great but I'd prefer someone with Rudden's pace.

Not sure if Celtic would loan out Jack Hendry but he would give us what we need at centre half.

To get that amount of players in probably means Harkins, Jones, Mansell and DeVita going.

I wouldn't say this thread is premature as I don't really see this set of players producing much on the field to alleviate our league position. However a couple of good results against the right opposition coupled with a loss of form by a few of our opponents could see us mid table. That just might give McCall the confidence to bring in players he really wants on a mid to long term basis, as opposed to the short term fixes we'd require if the window opened tomorrow.

Put another way there's probably considerable difference between the affordable players McCall would like to see at the Club and the affordable players McCall might have to bring in.

5 hours ago, laukat said:

I would like Alan Forest at Ayr to take over from Cardle and put pressure on Zanatta but if we can't get him then Erskine would be a good option. Ideally I would like both but then again if Mitch Austin is any good maybe we only need one.

Zak Rudden's loan to Plymouth is up in January so he would be an ideal addition up front. If we got Doolan back as well then great but I'd prefer someone with Rudden's pace.

Not sure if Celtic would loan out Jack Hendry but he would give us what we need at centre half.

To get that amount of players in probably means Harkins, Jones, Mansell and DeVita going.

Mansell is on a 2 year deal , can’t see that happening, Harkins is on good money,so if he’s paid off it’s going to cost us a few quid . Devita is on a season long loan from Livi .

Alex Jones looks a better bet to move on , don’t think this is going to be an easy transfer window for McCall especially trying to move players on

Hopefully with his contacts in the game McCall can pull a few favours and try to get us out of the mess we’re in .

8 hours ago, laukat said:

I’m not sure those 4 you suggested departing laukat would be overly missed

10 hours ago, Paukea said:

I heard that Miller has asked to leave in January so that should free up some wages

its all about forward players for me in January 

wingers, no 10 and a striker please

That’s interesting about Miller. He’s never looked happy with us, bit of a contrast with Scott McDonald who looked like he cared. 

8 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Curious if true about Miller.... why leave half way through unless he’s got something lined up or wants to retire 

I am sure i remember reading on this forum a while back he had said he didn't come to Firhill to be involved in a relegation battle. Lets hope he can score some more goals for us while he is still with us, as i don't see them coming from many other players at the moment.

Wouldn't be surprised if Miller left. I think he joined us because of Caldwell and because he was getting the opportunity to have a major input into the running of the team. Wouldn't be surprised if he came on a promise that he would be the next manager. When McCall came in with 2 experienced coaches Miller became just a senior player.

As a player you can't fault his effort but his dip in from seems to have started with McCall arriving so perhaps best if he does go. Replacing his goals will be difficult though.