January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

On 11/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

. That just might give McCall the confidence to bring in players he really wants on a mid to long term basis, as opposed to the short term fixes we'd require if the window opened tomorrow.

Put another way there's probably considerable difference between the affordable players McCall would like to see at the Club and the affordable players McCall might have to bring in.

I don’t think McCall will have the luxury of building for the long term starting in January, it will be short term signings to try and escape relegation. If successful we’re probably talking another two seasons to hopefully have a promotion potential team. 

We have a squad of 24 and right now very few of them look worth keeping. Also the bulk of this squad is becoming conditioned to being a basement championship team. Their mentality is weak, a clear out is needed.

Edited by JAG1970

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

There really aren’t any leaders in our squad. You keep blaming miller but he is not alone 

I did not agree with signing Miller, but it having been done, I decided to live with it.

His goals return has been decent tbf, however I was expecting a greater influence from him on those around.

A greater influence than running deep, out of position, and pointing fingers at anyone who doesn't read his wonderful lay-offs to nobody.

For half the money, we can get a player 15 years younger who will be better for the morale of the team and the spirit of the dressing room.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

I did not agree with signing Miller, but it having been done, I decided to live with it.

His goals return has been decent tbf, however I was expecting a greater influence from him on those around.

A greater influence than running deep, out of position, and pointing fingers at anyone who doesn't read his wonderful lay-offs to nobody.

For half the money, we can get a player 15 years younger who will be better for the morale of the team and the spirit of the dressing room.

Hope you’re right , but in this January window I’ve no idea where this proven striker is coming from.

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Don’t disagree with that- equally I’m sure we could also get better for the wages banzo, mcginty etc will be on 

interesting that the only 2 players to come over and immediately applaud and apologise were the youngest sneddon and Penrice.  

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No reason why you should, Barney, but if you had talked to any Dundee fans then you wouldn't be posting the highlighted bit.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Just how much money have we blown in the last couple of years? If we are not paying two managerial teams at once, we are paying players to cut their contracts short and leave.

Absolutley AJ, from a great position we have nosedived to a club been ridiculed for total mismanagement  over the past few seasons. I sincerely hope that this upcoming new regime will have the right personnel running the club and we move forward to been a club that progresses and brings back the fans who have been demoralised by the events of late.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

I don’t think McCall will have the luxury of building for the long term starting in January, it will be short term signings to try and escape relegation. If successful we’re probably talking another two seasons to hopefully have a promotion potential team. 

We have a squad of 24 and right now very few of them look worth keeping. Also the bulk of this squad is becoming conditioned to being a basement championship team. Their mentality is weak, a clear out is needed.

Mccall has to start building now.. bringing in temp solutions isnt going to cut it. 

Sometimes tou have to take a step back to take a step forward, look at what hes done with ayr.

39 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Mccall has to start building now.. bringing in temp solutions isnt going to cut it. 

Sometimes tou have to take a step back to take a step forward, look at what hes done with ayr.

I was thinking something the same. I don't want us to be relegated again, but how many players and how much money will it take in January to improve the squad with no guarantee that it would be enough to keep us up. Would we be better signing players with the longer term outlook of coming straight back up from league 1. Once again i say i do not want us to go down again.

So much of it's down to team chemistry... Most of our players can play at this level, they've proved it in the past. They just don't work as a team...

It'd be interesting to do player by player comparison of today's team against the team that won 5-1 against Dunfermline in the title winning season.

Form in teams is such a difficult to pin down.

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I was thinking something the same. I don't want us to be relegated again, but how many players and how much money will it take in January to improve the squad with no guarantee that it would be enough to keep us up. Would we be better signing players with the longer term outlook of coming straight back up from league 1. Once again i say i do not want us to go down again.

It’s a dangerous road thinking we can go down and come straight back up or come back stronger...... the board need to back McCall heavily in January, whether that’s enough to include long term solutions we shall see, but his priority is to keep us up. 

5 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

It’s a dangerous road thinking we can go down and come straight back up or come back stronger...... the board need to back McCall heavily in January, whether that’s enough to include long term solutions we shall see, but his priority is to keep us up. 

I agree with you. Some thought when we came down from the premier league we would bounce straight back up, i was not one. How far behind will we be when the window opens ? Who will be able to get ? Big job for McCall, i wonder if he realised what a mess he was walking into.

16 minutes ago, fenski said:

So much of it's down to team chemistry... Most of our players can play at this level, they've proved it in the past. They just don't work as a team...

It'd be interesting to do player by player comparison of today's team against the team that won 5-1 against Dunfermline in the title winning season.

Form in teams is such a difficult to pin down.

Difficult to match up the midfield in particular but no matter who you match up it's a complete no contest. 

N.B. SOD played right midfield yon day with Muirhead at right back.

Fox..........Sneddon

Muirhead.........Kakay

Balatoni.........Saunders

Archibald..........O'Ware

ATS..........Penrice

Paton..........Bannigan

SOD...........Cole

Forbes...........Cardle

Erskine..........Slater

Lawless.........Zanatta

Doolan.........Miller

11 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am sure i remember reading on this forum a while back he had said he didn't come to Firhill to be involved in a relegation battle. Lets hope he can score some more goals for us while he is still with us, as i don't see them coming from many other players at the moment.

Shea Gordon would be the only other player looking likely to score if he wasn’t injured 

On 11/29/2019 at 11:39 PM, Paukea said:

I heard that Miller has asked to leave in January so that should free up some wages

its all about forward players for me in January 

wingers, no 10 and a striker please

That’s a surprise about miller- is he going to even try now if he is leaving. Maybe he can take a few of the others with him

A considerable number of our squad will be absolutely delighted with the deals which their agents have done. I suspect that relatively lucrative final full time contracts have been handed out...Harkins, Cardle, Saunders, De Vita are way best their best...Mansell, Wilkinson, Robson  & Hall simply aren't good enough...even Scott Fox who remains a decent keeper was not the best use of our budget -and we don't get to find out if Sneddon can make the grade.  And Miller...I thought he was a good player for Scotland but I wasn't enthused about his signing...he is still incredibly fit for his age and has scored a few goals but he has been ineffective in the few times I have seen him...Barney Rubble & Lady Isobel Bennett have already identified the obvious flaws...exactly as reported by Dundee & Livingstone fans last season...and apparently a disruptive influence even with his beloved Govan Tax-Dodgers.

That's a lot of players with limited contributions or scope for improvement...and the rest of the squad is not exactly top quality even for this Division. The worry is that there is not a great pool of untapped talent out there...and McCall has always tended to sign Scottish Players, which in other circumstances, I would regard as a positive but I can't think of any likely candidates who would want to come to a team that could be relegated. Anyone who thinks that we will be able to bring in players in January who are of a better calibre than Bannigan & O'Ware needs a reality check...Banzo looks frustrated by the effect of his long-term injury and the dross he is currently playing with.

Caldwell and by association the former Chairman left our Club in an awful mess...and yet there were apologists on here well into this season when it was quite clear almost from the start that he was not the right man. It looks a long way back to the standard Partick Thistle should be at...a lot more than one transfer window.

Edited by Winter of '63

4 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

A considerable number of our squad will be absolutely delighted with the deals which their agents have done. I suspect that relatively lucrative final full time contracts have been handed out...Harkins, Cardle, Saunders, De Vita are way best their best...Mansell, Wilkinson, Robson  & Hall simply aren't good enough...even Scott Fox who remains a decent keeper was not the best use of our budget -and we don't get to find out if Sneddon can make the grade.  And Miller...I thought he was a good player for Scotland but I wasn't enthused about his signing...he is still incredibly fit for his age and has scored a few goals but he has been ineffective in the few times I have seen him...Barney Rubble & Lady Isobel Bennett have already identified the obvious flaws...exactly as reported by Dundee & Livingstone fans last season...and apparently a disruptive influence even with his beloved Govan Tax-Dodgers.

That's a lot of players with limited contributions or scope for improvement...and the rest of the squad is not exactly top quality even for this Division. The worry is that there is not a great pool of untapped talent out there...and McCall has always tended to sign Scottish Players, which in other circumstances, I would regard as a positive but I can't think of any likely candidates who would want to come to a team that could be relegated. Anyone who thinks that we will be able to bring in players in January who are of a better calibre than Bannigan & O'Ware needs a reality check...Banzo looks frustrated by the effect of his long-term injury and the dross he is currently playing with.

Caldwell and by association the former Chairman left our Club in an awful mess...and yet there were apologists on here well into this season when it was quite clear almost from the start that he was not the right man. It looks a long way back to the standard Partick Thistle should be at...a lot more than one transfer window.

Agree with a lot of what you say but regarding Hall I don’t think he has been given enough of a chance - very young and have we not won most of the games he has played?

• Like 1