January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I did not agree with signing Miller, but it having been done, I decided to live with it.

His goals return has been decent tbf, however I was expecting a greater influence from him on those around.

A greater influence than running deep, out of position, and pointing fingers at anyone who doesn't read his wonderful lay-offs to nobody.

For half the money, we can get a player 15 years younger who will be better for the morale of the team and the spirit of the dressing room.

Who’s that then ? We have been trying for too many years to get a striker that could score close to 20 goals a season. 

What is it you know about the influence  any player has on the team or spirit of the dressing room ?

A lot of fans had the same reserve about the signing of MacDonald last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Agree with a lot of what you say but regarding Hall I don’t think he has been given enough of a chance - very young and have we not won most of the games he has played?

Agree entirely, he looks a decent no nonsense centre half. Any idea what has happened to him - I thought the half time sub against Penicuik was tactical but he has not been in the squad since then, so presumably injured? (Although nobody has said). 

I thought the back 3 of McGinty, O’Ware and Hall against Morton is the most solid we have looked 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Who’s that then ? We have been trying for too many years to get a striker that could score close to 20 goals a season. 

Give you a clue. He was with us all the time and Archie let him go. Put 5 goals passed us in 2 games. Apparently being scouted by Sevco (although he's never that standard). Penny for Archie's thoughts yesterday.

The decision on Nisbet is like the decision to part ways with a manager.

Sacking Archie and Caldwell were the right decisions. The club then has to make the decision with who they appoint next.

They evidently got the Caldwell appointment wrong. Hopefully they have made the correct one with McCall going forward.

Nisbet was released as he struggled to make an impact and by his own admission wanted to try out at a club lower down the leagues in Raith Rovers. 

Good on the lad for getting his career back on track but we can't harp back to a decision which was on the balance of probabilities the correct one at the time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Give you a clue. He was with us all the time and Archie let him go. Put 5 goals passed us in 2 games. Apparently being scouted by Sevco (although he's never that standard). Penny for Archie's thoughts yesterday.

We had Nisbet on the books here. Can you honestly say that he looked like he could do the business. We were maybe at too high a level for him at that time. I might be wrong, but I don’t think he overly impressed when he was out on loan.

He said himself that he didn’t apply himself properly when he was here, and needed the kick up the backside he got when he was let go. In this case, Archie did the right thing.

Anyway, I don’t think he would come back to us - so the question is still the same. Where is the 20 goal a season player that will come to us.

I’ve got more confidence in our current manager going into the next window than I did for the last 3 windows. He knows a dud when he sees one so I think he will upgrade the squad quite easily. 

So long as Archibald doesn’t have a say in targeting or signing any players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I’ve got more confidence in our current manager going into the next window than I did for the last 3 windows. He knows a dud when he sees one so I think he will upgrade the squad quite easily. 

So long as Archibald doesn’t have a say in targeting or signing any players.

Not so sure about the” quite easily “ bit, think it’s a hard sell for McCall , possibly bottom of the League, trying to get players out who are under contract which might cost us a few quid.

Think it’s going to be short term loans rather offering players contracts especially with our precarious league position.

I'm far from convinced that bringing in players in January is going to be the answer to the current problems. There is more to it than just saying the current crop are not good enough. We have players like Fox, O'Ware, Banagan, Penrice, Cardle, Slater, Gordon (I know he's injured) de Vita and Zanatta who are all proven at this level and we have also seen something from Cole, Palmer and Kaky that show some talent, while Miller should still be able to cut it. On ability that is the basis of a decent side. The problem is that the team is not playing as well as the individual ability.

I'm not an insider, so I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, however it would appear that we are playing with a fear of making a mistake. The individuals are trying to do the easy thing, anything that doesn't put the blame on them, but because of that fear, they still manage to get it wrong ! They also, as a team, still don't manage to take direction from the dugout. I can see McCall trying to make changes, but they just fall into old habits, and this has now been a problem for 3 consecutive managers.

Rather that just bringing in new players who will fall into the same malaise, we need to find the root of this problem, which has been going on since we made top 6. We need to get rid of whatever that is before we can think about making any progress.

On Miller, I would not be surprised to see him go. He was clearly brought in under the impression that he would be inline to be the next manager. With Archie already being lined up to replace McCall, he will need to find some other route into management and I don't think he'll have too much of a problem in getting a player-manager role (probably to come back and haunt us).

19 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Curious to know how you know Archibald is being lined up to be the next manager DD.

Was it not mentioned when Mccall was appointed. May be I picked it up wrong, but that was what I picked up from the announcement ... McCall to move to Director of Football and Archie to be manager. Quite possible that I read more into it than was intended, but that was certainly my understanding

On 11/29/2019 at 11:10 AM, jagfox said:

Another Christmas season approaches but for me like other Jags fans, thoughts drift to January and who, what and why will be entering/ exiting Firhill.

Last season we had a nice return from Scott McDonald with a couple of stocking fillers getting us over the line.

It's not been pretty but Mr McCall has started to turn things around. We're still staring down the barrel of 11th or 12th place though and the manager has said we need anywhere from 2 or 3 to 5 or 6 new signings.

Who would you like in who would you particularly like to see the back of in January 2020? 

Would like to see the Striker Salim Kouider Aaiser from Queens Park Joining the club in January,  has only played 13 games so far , but has scored 7 plus 2 assists, I reckon he could do a job for us.

Edited by Paolo

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Would like to see the Striker Salim Kouider Aaiser from Queens Park Joining the club in January,  has only played 13 games so far , but has scored 7 plus 2 assists, I reckon he could do a job for us.

Can we still get him for a set of tracksuit and a pair of goalnets?

21 hours ago, jagfox said:

Can we still get him for a set of tracksuit and a pair of goalnets?

IIRC they're turning pro from next season: so the answer, presumably, would be yes. (I would hope if we made an approach that we would still make a sensible offer. Apparently, the bigger clubs are most guilty of giving nothing to Queen's Park when signing their players. :thumbdown: )

45 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

IIRC they're turning pro from next season: so the answer, presumably, would be yes. (I would hope if we made an approach that we would still make a sensible offer. Apparently, the bigger clubs are most guilty of giving nothing to Queen's Park when signing their players. :thumbdown: )

Dundee United being the biggest offenders evidently.

• Like 1

Great news that Cole is likely staying on so that’s the first positive of the approaching January should it go to plan. I think he could be a massive player for us in the long run, even longer than just this season should we be able to retain him. Really interested to see who McCall will get rid of as there is so many who would be worthy in my opinion, but truthfully I really amen’t sure who McCall will try sacrifice to create the space. Interesting window ahead indeed. Intrigued to see what kind of funding McCall is given too and who/how many will come in. Any rumours going around that anyone may know of yet? 

3 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Great news that Cole is likely staying on so that’s the first positive of the approaching January should it go to plan. I think he could be a massive player for us in the long run, even longer than just this season should we be able to retain him. Really interested to see who McCall will get rid of as there is so many who would be worthy in my opinion, but truthfully I really amen’t sure who McCall will try sacrifice to create the space. Interesting window ahead indeed. Intrigued to see what kind of funding McCall is given too and who/how many will come in. Any rumours going around that anyone may know of yet? 

Our ex youth centre half Brownlie of QOS is being spoken about.