January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

I have managed a few games this year and will be at the Dundee game next week (2 in a row for me). 

I agree with comments about Central defence and the striking positions. However in the games I have seen, including Saturday's 3-1 win we really need to find a tough ball winning Midfielder who can also play the 'holding & defensive' roles.

Cole and Bannigan can provide the creative and attacking functions but until we get the above rule filled we will always be overrun a bit in Midfield. This would be my priority. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I agree with comments about Central defence and the striking positions. However in the games I have seen, including Saturday's 3-1 win we really need to find a tough ball winning Midfielder who can also play the 'holding & defensive' roles.

Cole and Bannigan can provide the creative and attacking functions but until we get the above rule filled we will always be overrun a bit in Midfield. This would be my priority. . 

Spot on. We haven't had that sort of midfielder since Osman (pre injury). It's been clear that none of our midfielders can play that role (Caldwell even played Harkins there on occasion). Bannigan's style of play makes him best suited of what we've got to play there when needs must but that comes at a price. Even if he learned to be a clean tackler his reputation is so tarnished he'd still pick up too many cards. 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Spot on. We haven't had that sort of midfielder since Osman (pre injury). It's been clear that none of our midfielders can play that role (Caldwell even played Harkins there on occasion). Bannigan's style of play makes him best suited of what we've got to play there when needs must but that comes at a price. Even if he learned to be a clean tackler his reputation is so tarnished he'd still pick up too many cards. 

Its funny how we can see things so differently. I actually think we have an excess of options in the middle of the park - the likes of Slater, Harkins, Gordon all not in the starting eleven just now. In terms of ball winning midfielder that's just what Banzo is there for. We also have Palmer who is not dissimilar to Banzo.

Central defence we also have mcginty, saunders, tam, hall.

Where's the cover/comepetition at striker or fullbacks? That's the priority for me.

17 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I would generally agree with your comment on Williamson. However, he did put in a much improved defensive performance in the second half yesterday and made several important blocks and interventions.

One combined move between Williamson and Kakay put me in mind of Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge at Chelsea.

Remember responsible drinking at this time of year!

• Like 1

As an aside - really refreshing to partake in forum discussion on players; as opposed to all the tedious boardroom politics stuff. I joined in those other discussions for a while but much prefer debating the merits of the squad etc.

Also - really great to actually enjoy being at the football on saturday. It almost felt weird!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blakey said:

Its funny how we can see things so differently. I actually think we have an excess of options in the middle of the park - the likes of Slater, Harkins, Gordon all not in the starting eleven just now. In terms of ball winning midfielder that's just what Banzo is there for. We also have Palmer who is not dissimilar to Banzo.

I agree we're kinda overloaded in midfield. Get your point re Banzo and Palmer. I think the latter is just a wee bit short in strength at present to do a hard tackling defensive mid job and as far as I'm concerned the less tacking and ball winning Bannigan gets himself involved in the better. I see him more in a creative role. Without an Osman, Draper, Murray Davidson, Paton (circa 12-13) type the less combative midfielders aren't able to play so effectively.

• Like 1

So assuming some space needs to be made, and also assuming folk are slightly more positive about the state of the squad, who are the players to move on to make room for signings? Robson, De Vita, Mansell and maybe Palmer?  If Robson goes then we'd obviously need cover for Penrice.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree we're kinda overloaded in midfield. Get your point re Banzo and Palmer. I think the latter is just a wee bit short in strength at present to do a hard tackling defensive mid job and as far as I'm concerned the less tacking and ball winning Bannigan gets himself involved in the better. I see him more in a creative role. Without an Osman, Draper, Murray Davidson, Paton (circa 12-13) type the less combative midfielders aren't able to play so effectively.

A slightly different type of midfielder but for me, we've never been close to replacing Sean Welsh.

Getting rid of Welsh and keeping an injured Fraser will long live with me and was the craziest decision of many in recent years.

How he was ever made a scapegoat is right up there with people slagging Lawless off when we played with 6 centre backs and him having to play 3 positions out on the left.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fenski said:

So assuming some space needs to be made, and also assuming folk are slightly more positive about the state of the squad, who are the players to move on to make room for signings? Robson, De Vita, Mansell and maybe Palmer?  If Robson goes then we'd obviously need cover for Penrice.

I’d start with mansell but I think he’s on a 2 year deal. Would also ditch hall, de vita but think they are both loans. Despite harkins great cameo on Saturday I think he is also a waste of a wage (hate saying that as he is one of my favourite jags ever). I also don’t rate Williamson but we have no other RB, unless kakay moves back, and he looks better further up.

3 minutes ago, blakey said:

I’d start with mansell but I think he’s on a 2 year deal. Would also ditch hall, de vita but think they are both loans. Despite harkins great cameo on Saturday I think he is also a waste of a wage (hate saying that as he is one of my favourite jags ever). I also don’t rate Williamson but we have no other RB, unless kakay moves back, and he looks better further up.

Hall is not on loan. He is signed until January at the moment. De Vita on loan for the full season.

44 minutes ago, laukat said:

Anyone notice this tweet today?

Looks like a hint that Doolan might be back. Ayr fans talking about a swap deal with Harkins?

Harkins is done, why would anyone in our league want him? Love the guy to bits but if he wants to continue his career he needs to drop down the leagues after us.

46 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Harkins is done, why would anyone in our league want him? Love the guy to bits but if he wants to continue his career he needs to drop down the leagues after us.

Judging by Dools’ goals this season the same could be said about him aswell. 1 league goal against us funilly enough!

Imagine Kenny Miller had only scored 1 for us, folk would be dying to have him punted(alot of folk want him punted already), yet they are creaming their frillys over Doolan coming back, who has been keich for the last 3 seasons. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Judging by Dools’ goals this season the same could be said about him aswell. 1 league goal against us funilly enough!

Imagine Kenny Miller had only scored 1 for us, folk would be dying to have him punted(alot of folk want him punted already), yet they are creaming their frillys over Doolan coming back, who has been keich for the last 3 seasons. 

I’m not sure dolls for harkins adds anything unless dools is going to coach....his best days as a player have gone .....he’s not  our striking solution 

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

I’m not sure dolls for harkins adds anything unless dools is going to coach....his best days as a player have gone .....he’s not  our striking solution 

Given McCall is the manager, Doolan returning in a player/coaching role (youth/striker coach) would be one of the least surprising moves. Similarly de Vita going back to Livingston with Erskine returning (six month loan/short contract) wouldn't be that much a shock either. Of course neither are a solution to our woes and could only be viewed as fringe players, but at worst they wouldn't offer less than the two departing. They would we can be assured give 100% to the Club.

I'd hope if either or both moves transpired it would be viewed in above light rather than an indication of our ambition. They would be neutral signings in terms of our finances so shouldn't be viewed as part of our rebuilding.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As well as Doolan, some people are seriously suggesting that Erskine should come back on a loan deal. 

No wonder the club is in such a state with nostalgic nonsense like that. "To hell with success, just as long as my favourite Jags are back." Utter tinpot club mentality. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

As well as Doolan, some people are seriously suggesting that Erskine should come back on a loan deal. 

No wonder the club is in such a state with nostalgic nonsense like that. "To hell with success, just as long as my favourite Jags are back." Utter tinpot club mentality. 

If that's a go at me you should re-read my post. I wasn't suggesting it merely pointing out a likelihood. De Vita is on loan till the end of the season. Clearly things aren't working out for him here. I didn't think it necessary to point out that Erskine isn't crucial to Livingston either. A deal of De Vita returning early with Erskine coming here is a possibility and at worst a neutral move.  

In the january transfer window our priorities are likely to be centreback, rightback (depending on Kakay's loan), Defensive midfield, wide player and striker(s).

In wide areas we really only have Cardle and Zanatta. Personally I would rather get Forrest at Ayr but Erskine would be an upgrade on Cardle and probably more consistent than Zanatta.

Up front we need at least to replace Mansell assuming that Jones and Miller stay. Could well be that we need two strikers as Miller is on a decent wage and McCall may need to better utilise that money. It would be hard to see how get in two better strikers in January who are better than Doolan. So if he was to come back in a player coach role as 2nd/3rd choice striker it would make sense to the end of the season.

In the summer other options are available but in January it will be about getting the best of limited choices.