January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

On 12/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, blakey said:

Its funny how we can see things so differently. I actually think we have an excess of options in the middle of the park - the likes of Slater, Harkins, Gordon all not in the starting eleven just now. In terms of ball winning midfielder that's just what Banzo is there for. We also have Palmer who is not dissimilar to Banzo.

Central defence we also have mcginty, saunders, tam, hall.

Where's the cover/comepetition at striker or fullbacks? That's the priority for me.

Yes, well suppose having different opinions is what supporting the same football team is all about.  I agree with your comment about cover for full-back positions - missed that one! 

I agree we have a lot of midfielders but not necessarily good or available midfielders. For example:

Harkins could be valuable but can't be anything more than short-term

Gordon looks promising but has yet to develop and being injured is out for some months

Slater impressed initially but usual performance from him includes long periods of anonymity 

Palmer on loan so not a permanent signing

Bannigan not the same since his injury though there are signs he is getting back to his old self.  IMO he is a better player playing further forward and probing the opposition's defence. Never saw him as a good holding/defensive Midfielder as he can't tackle. 

Therefore still think we need someone like Osman (see her ladyships post) 

In summary we appear to be in the market for:

Fullback (s) 

Holding/Defensive Midfielder (if money stretches also a creative Midfielder as well) 

Strikers - possibly 2?

Anything I've missed? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scotty said:

Was glad to see these signings confirmed by PTFC .... oh wait a minute!

Yes, I wondered about this.

The Record has an interview with Docherty and the Ayr manager saying he's signed for us and we don't say anything?

Is it possible we're trying to get him here in January? Maybe a player swop kind of thing?

42 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Yes, I wondered about this.

The Record has an interview with Docherty and the Ayr manager saying he's signed for us and we don't say anything?

Is it possible we're trying to get him here in January? Maybe a player swop kind of thing?

You can’t announce a PCA until January. Any comment could be seen as tapping up if Ayr wanted to take it further.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

You can’t announce a PCA until January. Any comment could be seen as tapping up if Ayr wanted to take it further.

As I understand it, a player can enter into discussions with another club six months prior to the end of a contract, so, presumably, that's what's happened here, otherwise Ayr wouldn't be so relaxed about it all.

Personally, I'm not keen on PCAs. Not been happy to see Thistle players sign them with other clubs and I wouldn't be happy if I was an Ayr fan knowing that the club captain has committed himself elsewhere.

The best thing for all concerned would be if the lad could join us in January.

Don't know these players Docherty and Brownlee but if the Internet description is correct Docherty seems to be the central/holding Midfielder we badly need and Brownlee the commanding Central Defender also IMO needed. 

A back 3 of Saunders, Brownlee and O'Ware would I think be solid. I include Saunders because never really been sure about McGinty and haven't seen enough of Hall (though acknowledge most posters seem to like him) 

Anyway if these potential signings are genuine then that's progress improving our defence and midfield. Just full-back and attack still to be 'sklved'. 

1 minute ago, exiledjag said:

Don't know these players Docherty and Brownlee but if the Internet description is correct Docherty seems to be the central/holding Midfielder we badly need and Brownlee the commanding Central Defender also IMO needed. 

A back 3 of Saunders, Brownlee and O'Ware would I think be solid. I include Saunders because never really been sure about McGinty and haven't seen enough of Hall (though acknowledge most posters seem to like him) 

Anyway if these potential signings are genuine then that's progress improving our defence and midfield. Just full-back and attack still to be 'sklved'. 

'solved'. Sorry for typo! 

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

As I understand it, a player can enter into discussions with another club six months prior to the end of a contract, so, presumably, that's what's happened here, otherwise Ayr wouldn't be so relaxed about it all.

Personally, I'm not keen on PCAs. Not been happy to see Thistle players sign them with other clubs and I wouldn't be happy if I was an Ayr fan knowing that the club captain has committed himself elsewhere.

The best thing for all concerned would be if the lad could join us in January.

Know what you mean. If the guys involved appear to pull out a tackle they'll be immediately branded as not giving 100%. Also with us so close to the relegation spots pre contracting has to be viewed as rather presumptive. 

The plus side is the manager feels confident enough to plan ahead. I hope that confidence is built on knowing he'll shortly have a strengthened squad and not based largely on a belief we've turned the corner with the squad we already have.

McCall confirms approaches for Brownlie and Docherty. 

Denies move for two loan Rangers. Will discuss extension with Cammy Palmer.

"I have been honest with the players, there will be changes but I am no different to any other manager," McCall said. "I said everyone would get opportunities and almost all of them have.

"There will be some who go, but a lot will stay. Ones who are out of contract at the end of the season, I have told them they are going nowhere in January because they have done well and it is up to them to keep that going. This is a chance to extend their stay. I think we need three or four in and some might go out. We won’t make huge changes.”

As well as bringing in new recruits, McCall revealed that wheels are in motion to extend the loan contracts of three players.

“We have not decided on Cammy [Palmer] yet," he added. "We have three loans we are going to try and Reece Cole and Osman Kakay if we can. We are working on that.”

Source:Glasgow Herald/ Evening Times

“No, there’s nothing in that,” McCall said when quizzed about a loan move about the Ibrox duo.

We’ve not decided on that (Palmer’s future). There are three loans that we’re certainly going to try keep Reece Cole and Ossie Kakay. Whether we’re able to, I don’t know. Gerry (Britton) is working on that. Cammy and I will have a chat in the next two or three weeks and we’ll see what happens with that one.”

Not clear but you could be right mate.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:26 PM, dibble said:

While all these pre contracts are targeting good players and are welcome I do wonder what effect it will have on existing players  who may read iinto it that they have no future at firhill nest year - not really motivating!  

Tough titty. Thats life.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I don't read that as him ruling out loans for Rangers players. What it suggests to me is he's eyeing up three loanees in January, in addition to extensions to Cole and Kakay's loans.

I dont read it that way. I think it is the three loanees we have. We are allowed 5 loanees a season. The three we have plus two more. Only 4 allowed from Scottish clubs, which is fine as Cole and Kakay are from English football. But, if we are looking to add two more loanees from Rangers the Palmer would have to go back to Rangers. We are only allowed 2 loanees from one club.

15 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I did too but didn't want fellow jags fans to  think I was:

a) linguistic and could speak Norwegian, or

b) lazy. 

I can imagine you returning from a successful pillage of the Aald Fjorm to the banqueting suite at Firhalla, taking off your horned helmet and downing a foaming tankard of SKLVED.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2019 at 6:26 PM, dibble said:

While all these pre contracts are targeting good players and are welcome I do wonder what effect it will have on existing players  who may read iinto it that they have no future at firhill nest year - not really motivating!  

Those with the right attitude will be spurred on to prove the manager wrong and win his faith, or at very least make sure they have other suitors at a similar or higher level. And then there’s professional pride and wanting to win every game you play.

Those with a different attitude can f*ck off

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Those with the right attitude will be spurred on to prove the manager wrong and win his faith, or at very least make sure they have other suitors at a similar or higher level. And then there’s professional pride and wanting to win every game you play.

Those with a different attitude can f*ck off

Sounds like a page from the Lambie book of management.