January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

On 12/21/2019 at 11:38 PM, ironfist said:

Mansell too if it can be done. GC on off the ball saying no player picked him in their favoured team for match against QoS end of  last season- says it all 

Did he really?! What kind of vindictive petty person would unecessarily undermine the reputation of a young player who he had signed, after he has left?! 

I didn't hear it but if that's true it's shocking, and for me says a lot more about Gary Caldwell than Lewis Mansell

30 minutes ago, allyo said:

Did he really?! What kind of vindictive petty person would unecessarily undermine the reputation of a young player who he had signed, after he has left?! 

I didn't hear it but if that's true it's shocking, and for me says a lot more about Gary Caldwell than Lewis Mansell

Didn’t Mansell play vs QOS and score ?  I didn’t hear the interview either but maybe Caldwell is saying he knows best ?

However, don’t really disagree with what you say.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

This from a manager who conjured up ‘envelopegate’ in the first place. Idiot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allyo said:

This

19 minutes ago, sandy said:

This from a manager who conjured up ‘envelopegate’ in the first place. Idiot.

And this.

Caldwell mentioned that one player had not been chosen in any of the players' team selections except by that player in his own selection...he then went on to say the  player had scored in the game. Our scorers in the Queen of the South game were Mansell, McDonald and Bannigan...so it doesn't require great powers of deduction to work out that Mansell was the player he was referring to.

Maybe Caldwell was a footballing visionary who saw something in Mansell that none of his team-mates had done...or maybe he was an awful manager who gave a two year contract to a player who, on what little I have seen, is not even up to the very poor standard of our current squad.

Edited by Winter of '63

1 minute ago, Winter of '63 said:

Maybe Caldwell was a footballing visionary who saw something in Mansell that none of his team-mates had done...or maybe he was an awful manager who gave a two year contract to a player who, on what little I have seen, is not even up to the very poor standard of our current squad.

I happen to know that around this time last season Caldwell was enthusing about Mansell. I assume he must have been chuffed to bits when he signed him on a permanent deal. Surprising it was only a two year contract.

7 hours ago, allyo said:

Yes, he was named. GC was getting stick for envelopegate, and was quite bitter about the negativity given that thistle then pumped QoS in the following match. He thought he was making the point that despite none of the other players including him, he chose to pick Mansell and he scored. therefore it was not the players picking the team but rather good management by him and the exercise had been some kind of motivational master stroke. 

whatever you think it says about Caldwell - and I would agree- unfortunately it also says a lot about Mansell... 

Edited by ironfist

On 12/23/2019 at 11:19 PM, ironfist said:

Yes, he was named. GC was getting stick for envelopegate, and was quite bitter about the negativity given that thistle then pumped QoS in the following match. He thought he was making the point that despite none of the other players including him, he chose to pick Mansell and he scored. therefore it was not the players picking the team but rather good management by him and the exercise had been some kind of motivational master stroke. 

whatever you think it says about Caldwell - and I would agree- unfortunately it also says a lot about Mansell... 

Still think as an option on the bench I would take Mansell instead of Harkins as a Centre Forward.

Somebody mentioned Nathan Austin as a possible Jan target, currently with Kelty Hearts as a part time player , too good for that level , think he’s scored 27 goals already this season.

Think he scored 13 goals for Inverness last season 

13 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Still think as an option on the bench I would take Mansell instead of Harkins as a Centre Forward.

Somebody mentioned Nathan Austin as a possible Jan target, currently with Kelty Hearts as a part time player , too good for that level , think he’s scored 27 goals already this season.

Think he scored 13 goals for Inverness last season 

Don't know if i would want't another Austin. Our current one has hardly got out the garage.:getmecoat:

• Haha 2

I think McGinty would be better used as a nailed down centre half in the middle of a back four , with Bannigan in front of him . Miller disrupts team balance and should be on the bench , replacing Cardle when he runs out of puff . Mansell lack confidence and a decent supply when he's been playing  , but seems willing to chase everything up front . I nearly left early for the first time when we brought on Harkins as centre forward . Bound to end in tears , especially with his diinterested body-language . Killed what little enthusiasm there was in the team . There's also the persistence with playing down the left side - it's not working .

On 12/23/2019 at 11:19 PM, ironfist said:

Every time I hear GC on the wireless it just reiterates what a fud he is. Self opinionated, lacking in houmour/ personality , deluded. Thank God we got rid.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

I personally wouldn't sign them. They are both done I'm afraid. We can spend the money on more productive acquisitions.

I am just going by what is said on the DVD. Players say how good a player and professional he is. McCall also says he was surprised and also thought it was a mistake for Thistle to let him go. He also talks about how professional he is both on and off the park and says he does a lot of good work with younger players. Erskine also says he himself could return to Firhill at some point. Think if one or both came back it would be in some coaching position as well as playing.

16 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I am just going by what is said on the DVD. Players say how good a player and professional he is. McCall also says he was surprised and also thought it was a mistake for Thistle to let him go. He also talks about how professional he is both on and off the park and says he does a lot of good work with younger players. Erskine also says he himself could return to Firhill at some point. Think if one or both came back it would be in some coaching position as well as playing.

As we seem to have a few coaches these days I don't see where they would fit in. IMO it would be a waste of money.

• Like 1