January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

On 12/26/2019 at 6:02 AM, Garscube Road End said:

I personally wouldn't sign them. They are both done I'm afraid. We can spend the money on more productive acquisitions.

Setting aside the sentiment, I still wonder about Doolan.

He's not old, he's always seemed to keep himself fit, and he has a game that relies as much on speed of thought as speed of movement.

He's always been a confidence player to some extent, based on the fact that his goals tended to come in bursts, rather than regularly throughout the season.

I just think that given a run in a team there's a good chance that there's still a player in there who could score a lot of goals at this level.

Whether he'd get that chance with us, I don't know. 

Edited by allyo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, allyo said:

He's not old, he's always seemed to keep himself fit, and he has a game that relies as much on speed of thought as speed of movement.

He's always been a confidence player to some extent, based on the fact that his goals tended to come in bursts, rather than regularly throughout the season.

I just think that given a run in a team there's a good chance that there's still a player in there who could score a lot of goals at this level.

He’d certainly be a better option to come on than Harkins as centre forward

On 12/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, paddy malarkey said:

I think McGinty would be better used as a nailed down centre half in the middle of a back four , with Bannigan in front of him . Miller disrupts team balance and should be on the bench , replacing Cardle when he runs out of puff . Mansell lack confidence and a decent supply when he's been playing  , but seems willing to chase everything up front . I nearly left early for the first time when we brought on Harkins as centre forward . Bound to end in tears , especially with his diinterested body-language . Killed what little enthusiasm there was in the team . There's also the persistence with playing down the left side - it's not working .

When McGinty goes up for a header it certainly looks like his feet are nailed down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allyo said:

Doolan can still score goals at this level. He is still fit enough. I think he is capable of proving some people wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

He cant even get a game at Ayr. He's done.

What do you mean by "cant even get a game at Ayr"? At the halfway stage Ayr are 10 points above us and have scored significantly more goals.  Kris might just have seen more game time at Somerset Pk if he had been in competition with a 40 year old striker with deep lying midfield tendencies, an overweight converted midfielder, a one-footed wannabe and a lad who missed five sitters against a Clyde kiddies XI.

Anyway, and more I believe to the point, if Doolan returns I'm sure it'll also involve him renewing his coaching role. Most probably (but not necessarily entirely) coaching younger players. In my view such a scenario is a complete no brainer.

Veering slightly here but then again in my view I believe Gary Caldwell acted in the best short term interests of Gary Caldwell as opposed to the best long term interests of PTFC when he oversaw the departures of Erskine, Doolan  and Elliott. No way am I advocating he should've built a team around those three but take last Saturday. Who would've made a bigger impact even just coming off the bench? Harkins playing upfront v Doolan? Robson v Elliott? And if Erskine's good enough to come off the bench against top tier clubs, he could surely have replaced Cardle anytime on Saturday?  

• Like 3

Erskine came off the bench and then Aberdeen took the lead. A trait that has apparently happened before this season.

Doolan has been out of form and injured.

Both weren't rated by Caldwell.

Christie was offered a bumper new contract but chose to move closer to his native North East.

Out of the three Elliott would be an upgrade playing wise based on our current squad.

With Dools injured I'm happy enough to let him join up in the Summer as an academy coach if that's what the interim board/ new board decide upon.

Erskine? Great player in the past but there must be other options available? 

7 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think we know more about Kris Doolan than Ayr United fans do. 

He may be done. But form and confidence are such a big thing in football. I'm not saying he'd come back and be a revelation. But he mIght.

I'm sure Ayr fans are only commenting on what they see now, not what we saw previously. He did very little in a Thistle Jersey for previous 2 seasons.  I think that misty sentiment over Doolan and Erskine is clouding a lot of people's judgement here. We can surely make better use of the money available to improve the squad rather than waste it on 2 has beens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Erskine came off the bench and then Aberdeen took the lead. A trait that has apparently happened before this season.

Doolan has been out of form and injured.

Both weren't rated by Caldwell.

Christie was offered a bumper new contract but chose to move closer to his native North East.

Out of the three Elliott would be an upgrade playing wise based on our current squad.

With Dools injured I'm happy enough to let him join up in the Summer as an academy coach if that's what the interim board/ new board decide upon.

Erskine? Great player in the past but there must be other options available? 

That's a good point re the boards. Also I didn't realise Doolan was injured.

I always took the talk of Christie being on the top wage and bumper contracts with a pinch of salt but I did know a move closer to his home turf suited him. 

I'll always remain a tad suspicious and doubt that exits of three model professionals was coincidental. But that's just me:)

Kris was a great Jag but, in his last 18 months he was exactly as Ayr United supporters saw him. 

I am not advocating Harkins as a striker(good God) but he did more in 15 minutes vs Caley than Dools did all last season. He won 2 headers, laid on 2 potential goal scoring opportunities and held off a defender.

McCall surely realises that Kris’ time as a player at this (low) level is over.

58 minutes ago, allyo said:

Maybe. I'm just not writing him off, that's all.

I am. I thought he was done well before he left. We don’t have the spare cash for sentiment and I also worry that Dools and Squiddy were part of the team that saw us slide down the leagues.

I know that they don’t grow on trees, but I’d like to sign players with a winning mentality

3 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Kris was a great Jag but, in his last 18 months he was exactly as Ayr United supporters saw him. 

I am not advocating Harkins as a striker(good God) but he did more in 15 minutes vs Caley than Dools did all last season. He won 2 headers, laid on 2 potential goal scoring opportunities and held off a defender.

McCall surely realises that Kris’ time as a player at this (low) level is over.

You obviously weren’t at Morton last year when Doolan came back in the team and scored 2 .

Watched Doolan against us when he scored and he still was moving defenders around with his runs . Not sure he would be a starter for me anymore but coming off the bench when the game has opened out , I still think he would score a few and certainly is an upgrade on Harkins as a Centre Forward.

Need more pace upfront , maybe Nathan Austin ?to give us options to hit the ball over the top and get us up the park .

I know Doolan's last 2 seasons was very poor. But lets not forget that about half his league goals tally was scored in the Premier league and he managed to score that amount without being a guaranteed start every week. If he was to come back it would be as back up, but as others have already pointed out if he could get anywhere near like his form of a few years back, he would be better than most options currently at the club.In the He Wears No 9 DVD, McCall speaks very highly of what Doolan can do both on and of  the park. I am sure if he or any other ex Jag signs again for Thistle, it will not be for sentimental reasons, but for the good of the team and that is the way it should be.

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I am. I thought he was done well before he left. We don’t have the spare cash for sentiment and I also worry that Dools and Squiddy were part of the team that saw us slide down the leagues.

I know that they don’t grow on trees, but I’d like to sign players with a winning mentality

Fair enough.

58 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I’d imagine the sad news last night may have an impact on any “additional” funding towards this transfer either from himself or from 3BC’s

Any such funding has always been pure speculation anyway. As far as we know a budget has been set and is being stuck to (hopefully).

I am a strong advocate for getting Doolin back as a player for another couple of years and thereafter as an assistant coach with specific responsibly for strikers. 

He has a great first touc, excellent awareness and an attribute which is priceless in tight situations - composure! 

As far as Christie Elliot is concerned I was very sad to see him leave. However as much as I liked him I have to admit that for a wing back his crossing of the ball was poor. 

Williamson is an improvement when it comes to crossing the ball and as a defender is on a par with Christy. 

IMO had we got more of the ball to Williamson v Dundee we might have got a point as he had the beating of the Dundee full back as a  couple of dangerous second half crosses demonstrated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exiledjag said:

Williamson is an improvement when it comes to crossing the ball and as a defender is on a par with Christy. 

Fully agree with your first point but strongly  disagree with the second.  Williamson is fairly poor defensively, while Christie was a good premier level right back

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I am a strong advocate for getting Doolin back as a player for another couple of years and thereafter as an assistant coach with specific responsibly for strikers. 

He has a great first touc, excellent awareness and an attribute which is priceless in tight situations - composure! 

As far as Christie Elliot is concerned I was very sad to see him leave. However as much as I liked him I have to admit that for a wing back his crossing of the ball was poor. 

IMO had we got more of the ball to Williamson v Dundee we might have got a point as he had the beating of the Dundee full back as a  couple of dangerous second half crosses demonstrated. 

Was tremendous today. MOTM with Kakay not far behind!! Several excellent performances today

Edited by Lindau