January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Ah. Another one who cant see the end of his nose regards Bannigan. Remember he didnt give the club a thought when he was Aberdeen bound before his injury. Thistle have shown him unbelievable loyalty( too much) and he has nowhere near paid that back. 

You can't possibly be bitter that a player was open to a move to a team at a significantly higher level than Thistle? Very odd. 

I'm not too sure about cammy Smith. I'm sure he hasn't scored many for United in the championship.  To be honest I've not seen too much of him but in the last 3 seasons he has played 33 times scoring 3 league goals, not sure about cup games. However we can't deny mcalls  ability to spot a player. 

1 hour ago, Happyjag said:

I'm not too sure about cammy Smith. I'm sure he hasn't scored many for United in the championship.  To be honest I've not seen too much of him but in the last 3 seasons he has played 33 times scoring 3 league goals, not sure about cup games. However we can't deny mcalls  ability to spot a player. 

Agreed, but it got me thinking: can anybody think of any real duds that McCall has signed while manager for us? In his first spell?

10 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Agreed, but it got me thinking: can anybody think of any real duds that McCall has signed while manager for us? In his first spell?

Halliwell, Mooc, Turner, Tommy Stewart, Grehan, Bryan Hodge, and Dargo. Super Kev and Paul Keegan were also some of the worst players I have seen in a long time.

And unfortunately more loan signings than I care to remember. Steve Lennon, Naismith, and Cole from Rangers to name a few. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Halliwell, Mooc, Turner, Tommy Stewart, Grehan, Bryan Hodge, and Dargo. Super Kev and Paul Keegan were also some of the worst players I have seen in a long time.

And unfortunately more loan signings than I care to remember. Steve Lennon, Naismith, and Cole from Rangers to name a few. 

That's an ample answer, thanks!

I still believe that IM's insistence on making space for wee runt Lennon fatally disrupted what I thought looked like a promotion-winning team.

5 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Pretty sure both dargo and tommy Stewart were McNamaras signings?

hodge had lots of ability which was why he was signed but unfortunately he just couldn’t be bothered using it

8 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Who signed Dave the Ukrainian ? Was he a bit earlier ?

Answered myself. He was a Campbell signing

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Re Bannigan. 

Been very impressed with him  recently and feel he is at last getting back to the Bannigan of old. 

When assessing his performance I think we have to allow for the psychological as well as the physical trauma he has suffered. 

Think about it! A  player approaching the prime of his career playing great football and on the verge of signing for a top SPL or English Championship Club. A move  which would secure his financial future! He picks up an injury that keeps him out of the game for 2 years and at one point it looked like he may never play again. 

He has had to put up with a lot including poor initial medical advice on how to treat the injury and of course his own thoughts on where he might have been had he not sustained the injury in the first place.  A situation that could knock the stuffing out of a lesser man. 

He has probably only recently reached the stage where he has psychologically come to terms with his situation and physically completed his recovery  in the fullest sense.  Also invigorated by a manager who knows how to manage and who has publicly declared his faith in the player I suspect Bannigan is at last focusing on the future and with growing confidence. 

Hence his good and improving performances. No more injury 'excuses' are appropriate for 'that' injury for Stuart Bannigan. I think for the player it is well and truly in the past. 

Best of luck to him for the future. 

(Apologies for length of post) . 

• Like 8

Re the McCall dud signings. He probably made more poor signings than Campbell simply as he was with us longer. I wouldn't have been over keen on Bunter returning if I thought he was still the same quality of manager that left us. The best I'd say for that would be he'd steady the ship. 

In truth I believe McCall has learned much from previous errors and in short considerably matured as a manager. Given the situation we found ourselves in he is as near a perfect fit for our Club as we could realistically expect. Hopefully long gone are the days of hiring unwarranted super egos such as Stevie Lennon and signing a hapless rebel* like Paul Keegan.

*I say "rebel" as my overriding memory of PK is of a man singularly determined to play outside the law. The law in this case being the Offside Law. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re the McCall dud signings. He probably made more poor signings than Campbell simply as he was with us longer. I wouldn't have been over keen on Bunter returning if I thought he was still the same quality of manager that left us. The best I'd say for that would be he'd steady the ship. 

In truth I believe McCall has learned much from previous errors and in short considerably matured as a manager. Given the situation we found ourselves in he is as near a perfect fit for our Club as we could realistically expect. Hopefully long gone are the days of hiring unwarranted super egos such as Stevie Lennon and signing a hapless rebel* like Paul Keegan.

*I say "rebel" as my overriding memory of PK is of a man singularly determined to play outside the law. The law in this case being the Offside Law. 

Not convinced he made the same number of dud signings as campbell- there are very few campbell got right (albeit there were a few gems there)

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Re Bannigan. 

Been very impressed with him  recently and feel he is at last getting back to the Bannigan of old. 

When assessing his performance I think we have to allow for the psychological as well as the physical trauma he has suffered. 

Think about it! A  player approaching the prime of his career playing great football and on the verge of signing for a top SPL or English Championship Club. A move  which would secure his financial future! He picks up an injury that keeps him out of the game for 2 years and at one point it looked like he may never play again. 

He has had to put up with a lot including poor initial medical advice on how to treat the injury and of course his own thoughts on where he might have been had he not sustained the injury in the first place.  A situation that could knock the stuffing out of a lesser man. 

He has probably only recently reached the stage where he has psychologically come to terms with his situation and physically completed his recovery  in the fullest sense.  Also invigorated by a manager who knows how to manage and who has publicly declared his faith in the player I suspect Bannigan is at last focusing on the future and with growing confidence. 

Hence his good and improving performances. No more injury 'excuses' are appropriate for 'that' injury for Stuart Bannigan. I think for the player it is well and truly in the past. 

Best of luck to him for the future. 

(Apologies for length of post) . 

Totally agree with this.

I think also the initial 6 month deal Archie gave him post-injury to prove his fitness, he was on peanuts. Loyalty works two ways, and our club is better for having Banzo around in my opinion rather than some mercenary midfielder here for a year of wages. He can frustrate and you will note I say 'the club' is better rather than 'the team', but I am also confident McCall will continue to get the best from him - for example I thought he was excellent second half of Morton away.

2 hours ago, jaf said:

Totally agree with this.

I think also the initial 6 month deal Archie gave him post-injury to prove his fitness, he was on peanuts. Loyalty works two ways, and our club is better for having Banzo around in my opinion rather than some mercenary midfielder here for a year of wages. He can frustrate and you will note I say 'the club' is better rather than 'the team', but I am also confident McCall will continue to get the best from him - for example I thought he was excellent second half of Morton away.

Thanks jaf. J

Just felt we needed to cut Bannigan a bit more slack given the seriousness of his injury and the related psychological issues. 

He is coming good so fingers crossed for tomorrow!! 

• Like 1

The manager is keen to strengthen both his squad and his starting line-up in January but says that it can be difficult to find the right players in the January market.

“Every manager will tell you it’s difficult to work in the January window. The loan market can be quite useful in that regard but I’d like to think we’ll be able to get two or three on longer term contracts who we want to be here so that at the start of next season we have a base of 13 or 14 players rather than seven or eight.”