January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

Regarding goalkeepers coming off their line -first of all they need a passage way to do so, also many managers believe the that defenders are there to defend and goalkeepers job is to try and keep the ball out of the net. Just watch match of the day on a Saturday night and you will see goalkeepers worth millions, coming out for the ball clashing with a defender and costing a goal, it happens every Saturday. 

Just taking this to a general point, tho' it might be relevant re Fox. Could it be that some goalies who are less confident on making instinctive saves will be more likely to challenge for the ball off their goal line? Conversely other keepers who have sharper reflex reactions may feel better off staying put, where they're less likely to be hampered making saves? I use question marks as I haven't a scooby. 

I think a lot of people just think that a few sessions of crossing and that's the problem fixed! Professional football players cross the ball at pace and accuracy. You don't realise how hard they hit the ball till you are close up. If Fox was good at cross balls he would not be playing for us.

That Dundee United goal was almost certainly  pre-rehearsed at training before the match, Shankland stays at the back post then when the corner is kicked comes across Fox blocking him from coming out. The rest of United players stay out of the line of the ball isolating Shankland against Penrice.

Edited by Alan Murray

19 hours ago, flashman said:

First game back was in the Glasgow Cup v Celtic Colts on 17 Dec. not long after getting here from Australia. Working his way back to match fitness and becoming familiar with his teammates I'd have thought. Played as a sub on Saturday. Would at least like to see if he might have anything before he is written off and would expect to see some more of him over the next few games. 

No, he was in from the start against Clyde and, apart from his pace off the ball which was good for a man returning from injury,  didn't really impress even at that level. Even Robson looked good on that occasion! Seem to remember his missing an absolute sitter early in the game.

But yes, in fairness to the player he probably hasn't a chance to prove or disprove himself.

A good goalkeeper should be commanding his whole 18 yard box. If a cross ball comes within at least 8 yards from the goal it should definitely be the keepers ball. As for coaching, your never to old to learn. If he cant do what you ask of him, you find someone else who can, its as simple as that.

12 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

A good goalkeeper should be commanding his whole 18 yard box. If a cross ball comes within at least 8 yards from the goal it should definitely be the keepers ball. As for coaching, your never to old to learn. If he cant do what you ask of him, you find someone else who can, its as simple as that.

So .... what is he being asked to do, and who is the replacement that is simple to find ?

If Fox could command the whole 18 yard box he wouldn't be playing for Thistle

28 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

And yet this is a keeper who has won this division twice (and is a current champion so to speak) and has been a near constant (barring injury) starter in the Premier division between the two wins. He's also played a major hand in a League cup win (though he missed the final through injury) and won last year's challenge cup. All in all, he must have had some strengths to achieve this. Of course he has weaknesses (at the near post in addition to commanding the box) which has meant that he did not progress further than the lower reaches of the Scottish Premier. But at this level, he's decent. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 10:41 AM, ThickAsThieves said:

Quite happy with all of the names linked, particularly Rudden and Graham - think they’d make a decent partnership.  McCart has been great for Inverness CT by all accounts, so I’m hoping we get that one done for the summer. Not hopeful of getting Forrest, given other teams (including a Premiership side) are in the hunt. But impressed by what McCall’s trying to do.

Of those out of contract/on loan, I’d look to...

Keep: O’Ware and Cole.

Bin: Robson, McGinty, Saunders, Harkins, Austin, Miller, Jones.

Undecided: Slater, Cardle, MacKinnon.

Of those with a contract, if we could also get rid of Mansell then I would.

Really can't see any merit in keeping Cardle. On the occasions I have seen him he has made very little impact on the game in general play, even when we won. 

Also difficult to understand why anyone would want to keep Zanetta - another player who contributes very little and who seems totally disinterested when on the field. His attitude reminds me of Amoo! Anyone remember him? 

There are players 'inside' all of the players mentioned in this thread, I think that about Mansell, but it appears we need a magician to bring out their ability and commitment not a manager! 

Re Fox. 

I watched my 17yr old grandson recently playing in goal for a junior team. He normally plays at u19 level with an Academy Team. So a big jump for him from his normal and  I admit to being a bit worried due to age and physical development differences. 

In the first 5 minutes he confidently, under pressure, took and held a high dangerous cross on his 6 yard line.  Immediately earning the respect of his defence ans spectators. He did this on 3 further occasions during the match. 

Everytime he took a cross usually from well off his line I thought of how Fox doesn't or rarely does this. 

Aberdeen and Rangers (heaven forbid) have both looked at him so I might send a letter to Firhill mamagement! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Really can't see any merit in keeping Cardle. On the occasions I have seen him he has made very little impact on the game in general play, even when we won. 

Also difficult to understand why anyone would want to keep Zanetta - another player who contributes very little and who seems totally disinterested when on the field. His attitude reminds me of Amoo! Anyone remember him? 

There are players 'inside' all of the players mentioned in this thread, I think that about Mansell, but it appears we need a magician to bring out their ability and commitment not a manager! 

Cardle's 'dummy' helped setup Jones goal v Morton

Cardle earned both penalties given against Alloa

So he's had a big impact in 2 of the last 3 games. I agree he doesn't have a bigger impact, but you always feel he can create something. However I wouldn't keep him for next season as we need better

4 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Cardle's 'dummy' helped setup Jones goal v Morton

Cardle earned both penalties given against Alloa

So he's had a big impact in 2 of the last 3 games. I agree he doesn't have a bigger impact, but you always feel he can create something. However I wouldn't keep him for next season as we need better

My issue is more to do with the Cardle, Miller & Harkins as a triumvirate. Cardle is the more productive of the three, but given any team we put out is already short of pace, playing more than one of the trio at any time is damaging. I accept we've had to do just that recently but this month hopefully should see the back of it.

I wouldn't be upset to see all three move on this month. That likely won't happen and I think Joe is the one of the three at least that could still contribute.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Re Fox. 

I watched my 17yr old grandson recently playing in goal for a junior team. He normally plays at u19 level with an Academy Team. So a big jump for him from his normal and  I admit to being a bit worried due to age and physical development differences. 

In the first 5 minutes he confidently, under pressure, took and held a high dangerous cross on his 6 yard line.  Immediately earning the respect of his defence ans spectators. He did this on 3 further occasions during the match. 

Everytime he took a cross usually from well off his line I thought of how Fox doesn't or rarely does this. 

Aberdeen and Rangers (heaven forbid) have both looked at him so I might send a letter to Firhill mamagement! 

Email Scott Allison, I did this for my grandson and got a reply very quickly. He will ask you to give him some dates when your grandson will be playing so they can send someone along to watch.

• Like 5

On 1/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, dunnikierjag said:

Email Scott Allison, I did this for my grandson and got a reply very quickly. He will ask you to give him some dates when your grandson will be playing so they can send someone along to watch.

Great to see the club doing this,  i let Gerry know about Calum Graham at Ashfield FC

Edited by kevin energy

9 hours ago, dunnikierjag said:

Thank you very much Dunnikierjag. Have been thinking about this for sometime as he is a very promising keeper. Will now do it! 

As a young footballer all I ever wanted to do was yo play for the Jags but no luck - not sure I was good enough but a bad knee injury decided the issue anyway.

Would be great watching my grandson in the Thistle goal! 

Thanks again.