January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

32 minutes ago, mulguy jag said:

Backward step. Enthusiastic player but if we have ambitions of getting back  into  the premier , we should be looking for players with a bit more ability.

Dont overly disagree and the same applies to nearly all ex players. Would make an exception for Stevie Odonnell when we get back to the Premier....

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good point. I was tho' going to add the addition of MacKinnon should be a steadying factor. One of the problems we've faced is that Saunders, O'Ware and even McGinty can have good games but playing as a unit, whether a defensive pairing or part of the back four, they're too often faulty. Hopefully Darian's presence will help in the organisational side of things and that will include the fullbacks. 

Adding MacKinnon assuming he's fit enough to play most of the games should bring strength in the middle of the defence and organisation in general. It perhaps means that our fullbacks could get further forward which in turn might cover for Williamson's frailties and allow McCall to take a chance on a younger fullback as cover.

In general McCall's transfer dealings have a definite strategy. We're very much going for younger Scottish players that allow for a team to be developed and perhaps for future transfer value to be obtained. Assuming Miller and Harkins leave only Fox and MacKinnon will be over 30 with pretty much all the remaining players still to hit their peak.

MacKinnon looks like the midfield leader we need to get the best out of the younger ones.

Such a difference to have a manager that knows what he's doing.

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

As we were trying to extend his loan and he has not featured since going back to QPR, I wonder if we might try and get Kakay back?

You have read my mind.  I was going to post the same thing. There is a clear gap to fill and he brings skill, pace and energy, and could also bypass the acclimatisation period which often means that it takes time  for a new or loan mid-season signing to be settled in and up to speed with team-mates, style of football and surroundings, 

From QPR's point of view, there is a reasonable likelihood that he would get a fair amount of game time in a context which he had enjoyed before. This must be an important consideration as no doubt loans can be "hit" or "miss" and often loan players never establish themselves in their temporary teams.

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

You have read my mind.  I was going to post the same thing. There is a clear gap to fill and he brings skill, pace and energy, and could also bypass the acclimatisation period which often means that it takes time  for a new or loan mid-season signing to be settled in and up to speed with team-mates, style of football and surroundings, 

From QPR's point of view, there is a reasonable likelihood that he would get a fair amount of game time in a context which he had enjoyed before. This must be an important consideration as no doubt loans can be "hit" or "miss" and often loan players never establish themselves in their temporary teams.

It seems Kakay didn't enjoy his time up here or Glasgow as a city, which may have been the major contributory factor to him going back down south.

Chris Erskine was brought down for Livingston's second penalty yesterday.  Looks like he has been neither a success nor a failure there.  A good squad player  (in a reasonably successful Premiership team) who is handy to have, but not somebody they will be desperate to keep .

There will be different views among forum users as to whether he still "has it", how much he would add to our team and whether he would be a "go to" 90 minute man. I do not want to re-open that particular debate. However, just taking his contribution as a senior professional with a good attitude and at least something still to contribute on the pitch, he could replace Miller, Harkins and Cardle at the end of the season, and thus save us 2 wages (ie 1 wage instead of 3).

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

It seems Kakay didn't enjoy his time up here or Glasgow as a city, which may have been the major contributory factor to him going back down south.

Sorry to hear that. Not doubting you, but any particular evidence to back up that view? He always seemed very cheerful and positive in interviews, but I appreciate that players will often hide their true feelings and try to present the best impression.

2 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Sorry to hear that. Not doubting you, but any particular evidence to back up that view? He always seemed very cheerful and positive in interviews, but I appreciate that players will often hide their true feelings and try to present the best impression.

At the risk of being overly cryptic - a conversation with an insider who would be amongst the first to know.

If we were to get erskine back right now we would have to pay a fee to Livi just now - when he could be free in summer

elliot was going to be one of our highest earners when Caldwell tried to get him in summer 

no problem really with either back say in summer but not before we try to sign the likes of Forrest, Harvie, mccart etc who would be far better value. In fact I would be disappointed if we lost out on those players because we redirected wages to erskine or Elliott at this moment in time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

If we were to get erskine back right now we would have to pay a fee to Livi just now - when he could be free in summer

elliot was going to be one of our highest earners when Caldwell tried to get him in summer 

no problem really with either back say in summer but not before we try to sign the likes of Forrest, Harvie, mccart etc who would be far better value. In fact I would be disappointed if we lost out on those players because we redirected wages to erskine or Elliott at this moment in time

Fair enough. My Erskine replacing Miller, Harkins and Cardle theory  was predicated on an end of season move (ie no fee) to dovetail with when the contracts for the other 3 expire.

3 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Dont overly disagree and the same applies to nearly all ex players. Would make an exception for Stevie Odonnell when we get back to the Premier....

I was thinking the other day about former players that I would take back. As well as SOD, John Fleck and Lyle Taylor I'd have in a heartbeat, but now way out of our league. George Moncur, Liam Lindsay, Jack Hendry, Aiden Fitzpatrick and Kevin Nisbet would walk into this team as would Omar Kakay who I guess now counts as a former player. More debatable, Mark Stewart, Ryan Scully, ATS and even Graeme Dorrans.

Not a bad team that you can put together from former players

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I was thinking the other day about former players that I would take back. As well as SOD, John Fleck and Lyle Taylor I'd have in a heartbeat, but now way out of our league. George Moncur, Liam Lindsay, Jack Hendry, Aiden Fitzpatrick and Kevin Nisbet would walk into this team as would Omar Kakay who I guess now counts as a former player. More debatable, Mark Stewart, Ryan Scully, ATS and even Graeme Dorrans.

Not a bad team that you can put together from former players

when did we have him?

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

There were 4 OPR fans sitting behind me at the Dundee United game, and they said that Kakay had repeatedly claimed on their website that he was really enjoying being at Thistle and living in Glasgow, and that he hoped to extend his loan.  They thought that QPR had recalled him.

2 hours ago, Jag said:

Stephen McGowan has just tweeted that Barjonas is joining on loan.

I can only see this making sense if he's either a defensive midfielder able to cover for MacKinnon or he's an attacking midfielder able to make runs beyond the forwards.

The raith rovers fans weren't that impressed by him.

I think McCall wants to play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. At the moment he's not got a lot of wide midfielders or wingers so getting another central midfielder in suggests others are away. Harkins and Slater would be the obvious candidates to depart.