January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

I think some people (not necessarily on here, but on social media) have been awfully harsh towards Miller, and it is certainly unwarranted. 

I don't think this contribution was necessarily worth the huge wage bill that he was purported to be on - that's pretty self-evident. But despite being 40, the guy still managed to score more league goals in his first 6-months here than Doolan managed during the whole of the 16-17, and 17-18 season. For anyone, and I mean anyone, to still be playing FT professional football at the age of 40 is a massive achievement, and we currently have players half his age who haven't shown the level of fitness or ability that he has. 

Ultimately with Rudden and Graham coming in, I think it was the right decision. We need to be looking to the future. But I think it would serve some people well to remember that we could easily be completely cut adrift at the bottom of the table at this moment if it wasn't for a decent spell from him at the start of the season. 

The fact, it is reported, that he still is seeking out first-team football at his age is a testament to his character and work rate. 

• Like 6

McCall mentioned he still looking at 1 or 2 to come in

Queen of the South have just signed a centreback. Does that imply Brownlie might be coming our way in the next few days? If not we'll probably Mayo from Rangers was the other centre half we've been linked with so I would expect either Brownlie or Mayo to be 1 of the 2

That would leave maybe one more which you would suspect we would be trying to get Docherty from Ayr. Perhaps a swap deal with Slater might get that over the line?

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

McCall mentioned he still looking at 1 or 2 to come in

Queen of the South have just signed a centreback. Does that imply Brownlie might be coming our way in the next few days? If not we'll probably Mayo from Rangers was the other centre half we've been linked with so I would expect either Brownlie or Mayo to be 1 of the 2

That would leave maybe one more which you would suspect we would be trying to get Docherty from Ayr. Perhaps a swap deal with Slater might get that over the line?

Hopefully it’s in addition to them

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I think some people (not necessarily on here, but on social media) have been awfully harsh towards Miller, and it is certainly unwarranted. 

I don't think this contribution was necessarily worth the huge wage bill that he was purported to be on - that's pretty self-evident. But despite being 40, the guy still managed to score more league goals in his first 6-months here than Doolan managed during the whole of the 16-17, and 17-18 season. For anyone, and I mean anyone, to still be playing FT professional football at the age of 40 is a massive achievement, and we currently have players half his age who haven't shown the level of fitness or ability that he has. 

Ultimately with Rudden and Graham coming in, I think it was the right decision. We need to be looking to the future. But I think it would serve some people well to remember that we could easily be completely cut adrift at the bottom of the table at this moment if it wasn't for a decent spell from him at the start of the season. 

The fact, it is reported, that he still is seeking out first-team football at his age is a testament to his character and work rate. 

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment here, though I do think there is a basis to question his character and influence on the dressing rooms at the clubs he's been at recently. 

Mostly here to defend Doolan though. 

Miller has 5 league goals so far this season. Doolan scored 14 league goals in 16/17 (in the SPL), 4 in 17/18 (SPL) and 7 in 18/19 (Championship - including of course his excellent goal against Morton). 

For all the general sentiment was it was time for Doolan to move on, his goals to minutes ratio last season (1 every 295 minutes) was better than Miller's this season.

Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dibble said:

Surprised at length of deal 2 and a half years  Graham is 32 just now

Likewise. That's maybe the price we have to pay in signing the lad? From Graham's point of view he's dropping a division for 1.5 of seasons minimum. He could possibly have picked up 1 to 1.5 seasons in the top division signing elsewhere.

One thing I've got faith in is McCall's ability in manufacturing imaginative contracts. So maybe just as Rudden's deal doesn't exactly sound exactly favourable to us maybe giving Graham 2.5 years is not quite as OTT as meets the eye? 

• Like 1

Definitely all good news, and I don't care if I'm tempting the gods (I'm agnostic anyway), but I think we'll hump the Bunnet XI off the park on Saturday, and I'm  not the slightest concerned that we'll be either relegated or in the (downward facing) play offs next May.

One question is, does Sir Bunter fling all the new faces in at once on Saturday or does he blend them in gradually - be interesting to see.

Now looking forward to the Arbroath game due to the transfer news. Almost a home game for me as Gayfield is   just 80 odd miles down the road! 

Will definitely be there. Arbroath are slowly but surely returning to the real world in this division so not in best of form. Think we will win a tough match either 2-0 or   2-1! 

This team is starting to look really good (and potentially very exciting) but to win I think we we have to do 2 things 

- Mark Bobby Linn out of the game

- establish a good lead by 60th minute. 

Dont think Miller done anything that wrong to be singled out to be honest. The fact he was on a big wage isnt his fault its Caldwells ! 

Cant fault him for effort at all..

As for the finger pointing and moaning, Miller has played at a very high level and although a very fit guy for 40 is clearly regressing and i think he's having a hard time dealing with it. He over tries at times and i agree in a positional aspect hes poor.

All in all I'd have preferred if he had never signed at all, but i actually think he's a decent guy and certainly wasnt the wage thief he's being made out to be by some folk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

Hopefully McCall can get more from zanatta as he has ability. Much like Erskine in the sense he could be absolutely unplayable one game then mince the next

Was thinking that myself. He definitely has ability.

Know where you're coming from re running hot and cold but perhaps if Zanatta was more like Erskine in attitude he'd be more valued. 

• Like 2