January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Was thinking that myself. He definitely has ability.

Know where you're coming from re running hot and cold but perhaps if Zanatta was more like Erskine in attitude he'd be more valued. 

Im sure similar things were said about Erskine in his first few years actually, now and again someone with talent just needs pointed in the right direction or the right players around them to get the finger put.

I highly doubt Zannatta has been enjoying his football at thistle tbh,

like Erskine.. 

maybe he will kick on and ecxell when others are playing well and he has a platform to show his talent.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Is Kenny Miller the first Thistle player to leave in the month when he was on the calendar?

Was thinking myself haha, every year they become more and more pointless to buy with how many come and go. This year though must be a record with the first page of January seeing that player leave in January. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

With the calendar they should simply include a bunch of loose pictures and let the buyers stick those pictures on the pages as they choose! :happy2:

Photos from matches played in those months in the past would probably be safer! With some Blackpool hi-jinx for the summer months...

11 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Hopefully McCall can get more from zanatta as he has ability. Much like Erskine in the sense he could be absolutely unplayable one game then mince the next

I'm still waiting for Dario to really step up after a decent debut...

McCall was interested in him when still in charge at Ayr. Not sure why he's not kicked on yet. A lot seems to be due to attitude. Hopefully he shows up starting tomorrow. 

Heard that McCall was quite tough on Alan Forrest trying to get the best out of him. Always hard with wingers due to a seeming inconsistency...

Am I the only one struggling to see the logic in some of these signings. On paper they do look like improvements on a one-to-one level, but I'm not sure how they all fit in.

McKinnon and Barjonas will make it 4 (5 when Gordon gets back) fighting for 2 places in central midfield, unless we go for 1 up front, but if that was the case then why bring in Rudden and Graham ? Neither of them signed up to sit on the bench.

Also, whether 4 or 5 in midfield, we have not addressed the problem with width in midfield, where we lack both quantity and quality. That could come from playing 3 at the back and wingbacks, but if that is the case, why bring in O'Conner who is a full back, and not address the issues we have with our only 3 centre backs.

I know some have suggested a diamond in midfield, but that would result in either playing very narrow on a wide Firhill pitch, or having Banzo/Cole/Barjonas/Gordon filling in the wide areas and taking them away from where they are most effective.

Good players in principle, but I just don't see a cohesive plan.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Am I the only one struggling to see the logic in some of these signings. On paper they do look like improvements on a one-to-one level, but I'm not sure how they all fit in.

McKinnon and Barjonas will make it 4 (5 when Gordon gets back) fighting for 2 places in central midfield, unless we go for 1 up front, but if that was the case then why bring in Rudden and Graham ? Neither of them signed up to sit on the bench.

Also, whether 4 or 5 in midfield, we have not addressed the problem with width in midfield, where we lack both quantity and quality. That could come from playing 3 at the back and wingbacks, but if that is the case, why bring in O'Conner who is a full back, and not address the issues we have with our only 3 centre backs.

I know some have suggested a diamond in midfield, but that would result in either playing very narrow on a wide Firhill pitch, or having Banzo/Cole/Barjonas/Gordon filling in the wide areas and taking them away from where they are most effective.

I see it as the exact opposite actually.  Each player (maybe except Barjonas from all I know of him) has been signed to address a particular weakness in our starting 11.  

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Looks like he wants to play a diamond in midfield and get the full backs forward for width to me. Could be wrong. 

If we do get another player or 2 in im sure one will be a CB.

McKinnon at base of diamond. Banjonas/Gordon at top ahead of Cole & Banzo. McKinnon to rarely cross halfway & become 3rd defender when full backs go forward to provide width. It can work as long as McKinnon & full backs maintain their discipline.  One for training ground. 

Have to say I see a lot of sense in what's happened so far...

Fox / Sneddon

O'Ware                  McGinty / AN Other

Williamson / O'Connor               McKinnon                                   Penrice

Bannigan                 Barjonas

Cole

Rudden                            Graham

Something like that would be a strong team I think. Obviously injuries / suspensions will come into play, but that's a good team at this level.

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You make some good points here. Personally, I don't have an issue with the number of midfielders ( and I make it seven - Cole, MacKinnon, Bannigan, Barjonas, Gordon, Slater and Harkins - although I've already proved on here that I can't count) as they all look, on paper, to be quality players (okay, question marks on Slater and Harkins).

I think we can certainly play a 4-4-2 selecting two strong midfielders from that group, but we're more likely to field three, or even four, midfielders in most games.

The issue is, as you say, how to get width into the side if we're playing with more than two midfielders and two wingers?

The obvious answer is to ask the full backs to get up the park and provide crosses. We know that's probably the strongest part of Penrice's game and the show reel of O'Connor seems to indicate that's where his strength is too.

Alternatively, you play someone in midfield who can move out wide as required.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Cardle starting on Saturday behind Graham and Rudden for exactly that reason.

Any way you look at it though, you do have to wonder whether we're going to need to add another winger. Given the players we've got, four wingers in the squad seems excessive.

McCall said yesterday that a couple of players will be leaving before the window shuts. That should give us a clearer idea of how he wants the team to play. As will how we line up tomorrow!

7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Take your points but I think you have to take into account the process. If you look at it as a two stage thingy, this window and the summer, then you can excuse any lack of balance. For instance (and it may not be the best example) that McCall wants to bring in Forrest in the summer then he's limited to a short term deal (loan) just now in bringing in a wide player. That considerably reduces his chances of bringing in width just now. He's also constricted in the market by who he can move on from our squad. On a specific Bunter may have ideally preferred a wide player to Barjonas but none are currently available. He takes what's on offer. Also he's taking on players as they become available and not necessarily in the order of importance position wise. That will come clearer when the window shuts.

I fully expect come February we'll still have a work in progress squad and that'll necessitate the odd player playing out of position and/or quality issues in a couple of positions. With potential suspensions and injuries that's likely in any case. There's also a balancing act of getting a squad together to get us out of our current predicament and building a squad for the future. I'm impressed so far on both counts but we've still got a way to go re the latter.

I don't recall McCall playing 3-5-2 much with Ayr so I would agree we are likely to play diamond in a 4-4-2. I suspect it will be like this

Fox

O'Connell-Saunders-O'Ware-Penrice

MacKinnon

Cole                                  Bannigan

Zannatta

Rudden           Graham

Hopefully we sign a left sided central defender in which case Saunders drops out and O'Ware moves across. I think Zannatta will play just behind the front players as per Chris Erskine where he may be able to cause a bit more chaos. Its not impossible it becomes a 4-3-3 with Graham in the centre and Rudden and Zannatta either side. I think Zannatta's pace makes him a key component but sticking him on the wing means he has limited chance to influence play.

Think we will stick to the 4-4-2 for the moment with Cole going out on the right. I don't see the point of having two big strikers and then playing a narrow diamond formation. Arbroath are dangerous out wide as well and 4-4-2 will help us defend that.

McCall's tactics away to sides like Alloa and Arbroath seem to be mostly about getting round the sides and double up on the opposing full-back. That's what I would expect tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm not sure that I like the idea of a diamond at home. Firhill is a wide pitch and having the full backs bombing forward is likely to leave the 2 central defenders exposed to counter attacks

That's what odonnell and Taylor Sinclair did to great effect in out best team of recent years. Whether the new guys are a patch on this I dont know. If the wing backs do bomb forward, I'd guess that McKinnon would drop back?