January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

25 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

If I was being honest I'd say the same. I thought there was really good player in there at one time, but you have to admit he's had his chance and failed to impress.

As you say, really nice lad I hope he gets sorted out.

I couldn't, however, understand the logic of someone - I can't remember where exactly, so hope I'm not imaging it - who said something about him getting picked up by another championship club. As we are rock bottom, and deserve to be,  why would anybody pick up a player who hasn't always made the bench amongst a bunch of failures. Rhetorical question.

I honestly think even the manager would admit he never really gave Slater a chance to impress since he came in. Out for 6/7 months and needing a run of games,don’t think he was given the time to impress. There’s guys in the team who have had umpteen poor performances but have still kept their place. This is our managers prerogative. That’s why football is so polarising,it’s just opinions,Golf,running,tennis etc  ability is black and white, good score or good time it’s easier to see if someone has done well or poorly. 

3 minutes ago, Steevo said:

I honestly think even the manager would admit he never really gave Slater a chance to impress since he came in. Out for 6/7 months and needing a run of games,don’t think he was given the time to impress. There’s guys in the team who have had umpteen poor performances but have still kept their place. This is our managers prerogative. That’s why football is so polarising,it’s just opinions,Golf,running,tennis etc  ability is black and white, good score or good time it’s easier to see if someone has done well or poorly. 

I agree.

This is a huge turnover of players. The main issue is whether they can bed in incredibly quickly.  I do think that McCall is mainly thinking long term, but is trying to be certain ( no guarantees ) that we do stay up and then push forward. I'm still hoping that we somehow squeeze into 4th, but with our inconsistency its doubtful. As for the long term contracts for bannigan, penrice and oware he trusts these players.  They are all relatively young yet experienced. As always a manager succeeds or fails by these decisions. 

25 minutes ago, Steevo said:

If you look at Slater in black and white, i.e. stats - he scored two goals and I'm sure you could count his assists on one hand.

From my contact at Montrose re Lyons and Sena…...

Blair’s a cracking lad and a real talent. Hope he bangs in a few more for us this season and gets a proper chance with you next season. He’s every defender’s nightmare; rapid and direct!! 

Sena is a lovely lad and scored against the league leaders on Saturday. Big strong boy who is already a fans favourite, especially with his goal celebration this weekend. We were (pleasantly) surprised McCall didn’t recall him after Xmas but are delighted to have him for another few months. Think the spell will have done him a load of good and hopefully you get a more mature/more streetwise player back in the summer.  Good deal for everyone.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Think Steevo was just being facetious AJ.

Usually the statement 'the board fully supports the manager' immediately precedes 'manager leaving the club by mutual agreement'!

AJ was saying this to eljaggo Semi. I never made a comment to AJ sorry

2 hours ago, Jag said:

If you look at Slater in black and white, i.e. stats - he scored two goals and I'm sure you could count his assists on one hand.

Got to disagree a bit , I think there is a player in there , been unlucky with injuries, he’s played up to u21 international level  which most of our team hasn’t . Incidentally he had 4 assists last year to Banzo’s single assist .

Mccall for whatever reason didn’t give him an extended run in the team to show what he could do after injury ,  plodding on with Harkins and will probably do the same with Darian McKinnon who looks overweight and unfit.

Was happy when we signed Slater but can’t say I’m sad he’s gone. Hasn’t made enough of an impact in his time here. 

Looking forward to seeing Lyons (and Sena) next season. Let’s just hope we’re giving them Championship football. The Brownlie signing should help that - back to 4 at the back and hope he strikes up a good partnership with O’Ware, who’s been disappointing so far. 

My point was - in reference to Steevo saying football is about opinions - if you were to look at the facts, rather than offer opinion, his stats were two goals and 4 assists (which I didn't know until your post but proves my 'count on one hand' comment).

That said, I was never a fan. Expected a bit more from him but I never knew what he brought to the game. For me, he held on to the ball to long and slowed play down too much. Had a bit of skill but never utilised. Not the worst player I've ever seen but don't think he'll be missed.

ETA - I'm shocked at how out of shape McKinnon is. I wouldn't be playing him until he gets himself in shape.

Edited by Jag

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Really don't see how you get that from my post, no i am not saying he is about to be sacked.

Sorry AJ no offence: A poor joke based on the old addage that if a manager gets the support of the board he is usually out the door shortly after.

Edited by eljaggo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jag said:

My point was - in reference to Steevo saying football is about opinions - if you were to look at the facts, rather than offer opinion, his stats were two goals and 4 assists (which I didn't know until your post but proves my 'count on one hand' comment).

That said, I was never a fan. Expected a bit more from him but I never knew what he brought to the game. For me, he held on to the ball to long and slowed play down too much. Had a bit of skill but never utilised. Not the worst player I've ever seen but don't think he'll be missed.

ETA - I'm shocked at how out of shape McKinnon is. I wouldn't be playing him until he gets himself in shape.

You must have a lot of fingers on that hand of yours.

The highlight from the QOTS v Alloa game doesn't fill me with much confidence of Brownlie. Thats up there with the Christie Elliot 'assists' last season. O'ware has not shown enough for me either to be rewarded  an extension. The Arbroath game has certainly taken its toll on my hopes for this team. 

42 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

The highlight from the QOTS v Alloa game doesn't fill me with much confidence of Brownlie. Thats up there with the Christie Elliot 'assists' last season. O'ware has not shown enough for me either to be rewarded  an extension. The Arbroath game has certainly taken its toll on my hopes for this team. 

Queen's fans saying he has improved vastly this season and has been a good player for them. They reckon his head was elsewhere on Saturday. I wonder why? Personally I would have preferred a more experienced CB for the predicament we are in  , but if it's a younger squad for League 1 then so be it 

• Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Though Christie was a good, reliable right back for most of the time he was with us (well latterly, after being a useless striker and fairly poor winger), so probably best not to read too much into one howler.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Though Christie was a good, reliable right back for most of the time he was with us (well latterly, after being a useless striker and fairly poor winger), so probably best not to read too much into one howler.

Agreeing with you but it was two howlers last season (Pars away and the time he dribbled along the bye line towards his own goal).