January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

12 hours ago, Jag said:

My point was - in reference to Steevo saying football is about opinions - if you were to look at the facts, rather than offer opinion, his stats were two goals and 4 assists (which I didn't know until your post but proves my 'count on one hand' comment).

That said, I was never a fan. Expected a bit more from him but I never knew what he brought to the game. For me, he held on to the ball to long and slowed play down too much. Had a bit of skill but never utilised. Not the worst player I've ever seen but don't think he'll be missed.

ETA - I'm shocked at how out of shape McKinnon is. I wouldn't be playing him until he gets himself in shape.

There are lies,damn lies and stats. No problem with Banzo but take away his pens and I’m sure his goal scoring record and assists must be similar to Slater. 

1 hour ago, Steevo said:

There are lies,damn lies and stats. No problem with Banzo but take away his pens and I’m sure his goal scoring record and assists must be similar to Slater. 

Banzos stats last season were less , Slater could have done the job Darian McKinnon is doing , sitting in front of the back four  , at the very least Slater would have been fitter and more mobile .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Slater could have done the job Darian McKinnon is doing , sitting in front of the back four  , at the very least Slater would have been fitter and more mobile .

No endorsement for MacKinnon, as the jury is out, but Slater can't tackle. Anytime I've seen Slater play well was when he was deployed far further up the field

I think he's the obvious midfielder to be released as he does the same sort of job as Banzo and Cole. We've also got Gordon on the books. You could argue that we could've kept Slater and not loaned in Barjonas. I don't know enough about his game to comment, but as a back up midfielder in lieu of Slater he's no doubt saving us on the wage bill.

23 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No endorsement for MacKinnon, as the jury is out, but Slater can't tackle. Anytime I've seen Slater play well was when he was deployed far further up the field

I think he's the obvious midfielder to be released as he does the same sort of job as Banzo and Cole. We've also got Gordon on the books. You could argue that we could've kept Slater and not loaned in Barjonas. I don't know enough about his game to comment, but as a back up midfielder in lieu of Slater he's no doubt saving us on the wage bill.

I think it was time for Slater to go. If he’s not getting game time and he wants to play then hats off to him for leaving. These guys have mortgages,rent and other bills like the rest of us. So some will dig in and I don’t blame them,purely for finance. I don’t imagine they’d be making any more than a tradesman, so won’t have a big hoard of savings. The likes of McGinty might have to grin and bare it. 

19 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

If we get relegated he would deserve to be sacked.

That's a difficult one GRE. He inherited a pile of sh1te, which he seems to be offloading as fast as possible - probably hasn't  gone far enough yet for the likes of you and me! 

Had he been here from the beginning of the season I would have been be inclined to agree. In fairness I would give him a full season.

I think we are still in shock from the appalling performance on Saturday, where the new boys had given us a glimmer of hope. Any warm glow we might have had was blown away by the sea breezes at Gayfield (actually unless, my geography was all wrong it was a sou'wester, not a nor'easter).

A repeat performance on Friday will make me think me have replaced sh1te with more sh1te.

28 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

That's a difficult one GRE. He inherited a pile of sh1te, which he seems to be offloading as fast as possible - probably hasn't  gone far enough yet for the likes of you and me! 

Had he been here from the beginning of the season I would have been be inclined to agree. In fairness I would give him a full season.

I think we are still in shock from the appalling performance on Saturday, where the new boys had given us a glimmer of hope. Any warm glow we might have had was blown away by the sea breezes at Gayfield (actually unless, my geography was all wrong it was a sou'wester, not a nor'easter).

A repeat performance on Friday will make me think me have replaced sh1te with more sh1te.

I am far from convinced, but then I never wanted McCall in the first place.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Yes, he inherited shite, but he came in after only 6 games gone. Long enough to get us playing more consistently. We have had far too many awful displays. And a few drubbings. I wanted McCall, but I'm beginning to wonder. Hopefully he proves me hugely wrong. 

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

McCall tried Harkins as a holding midfield player, Banzo and Cole both can’t tackle but were played as holding players , at the very least Slater should have been tried there especially with the level he’s played at Premier League level .

Watched my nephew playing for Accies reserves , McKinnon struggled for fitness even at that level..

Surely it was worth giving a player who is 25 a chance to see if he could do a job in front of the back 4  with his passing ability, rather than go with an unfit 35 yr old to do the job and whose best days are behind him.

40 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

McCall tried Harkins as a holding midfield player, Banzo and Cole both can’t tackle but were played as holding players , at the very least Slater should have been tried there especially with the level he’s played at Premier League level .

Watched my nephew playing for Accies reserves , McKinnon struggled for fitness even at that level..

Surely it was worth giving a player who is 25 a chance to see if he could do a job in front of the back 4  with his passing ability, rather than go with an unfit 35 yr old to do the job and whose best days are behind him.

Just because MacKinnon may no longer be up to it doesn't mean that Slater would be. Having Banzo & Cole play deep in front of our fragile defence has contributed to our shocking defensive record. I just can't see that Slater would've been even on par with Bannigan. I do tho' share your concern re MacKinnon.

10 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just because MacKinnon may no longer be up to it doesn't mean that Slater would be. Having Banzo & Cole play deep in front of our fragile defence has contributed to our shocking defensive record. I just can't see that Slater would've been even on par with Bannigan. I do tho' share your concern re MacKinnon.

I don't think many fans think that Slater will be much missed. I'm assuming mccall viewed him as expendable and must have assessed him in training. Yes he got little game time but there would have been reasons. Like Caldwell before him it is up to the manager to decide who goes and who stays. McCall needs time to build. Let's give him it. 

9 minutes ago, dibble said:

So we are now one centre half short than in December with hall and McGinty going and only brownie coming in ???    Morton are turning into a team of bloody giants 

I would think we'll be signing another centre half before Friday. We were rumoured to be after Mayo at Sevco but it was on hold depending on the fitness of Helander.

McCall was after McCart as well as Brownlie so I think he's always wanted McGinty out.

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I mind Sean's first appearance at Cappielow. Subbed at half time with Christie Elliott moving to centreback and Andy McCarthy coming on at right back.  One of Caldwell's more surreal moments.

That was a terrible day but looking back at McGinty falling over whilst trying to get in positon for a header, then getting hit on the head with the ball and accidentally clearing it was top comedy (about 55 seconds into the video below). Even funnier when you consider he wasn't the worst that day.

Ironic that he's now playing most of his games at that ground. Anyone know what the bookies odds are on Morton going down?

Edited by laukat
Edited to add highlights

Just now, dibble said:

McCall gambling a lot bringing so many new faces in.   Never like to see one of our players going to a rival always seems to come back and haunt us.

WAs always surprised McGinty didn't score more goals for us, which is kind of saying the same thing?!