January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

8 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Harkins and miller have a far higher pedigree than craig I'm afraid, but they are going/gone. Obviously age a factor. Even Saunders has an international cap and he is on a shoogly peg.  Most fans agree the window comings and goings look positive, but not all will be convinced of course. McCall is looking to the future not the past. He will either be a football genius or fail dramatically. Let's hope it's the former. Generally speaking are you in favour of the direction we are taking or not? 

Think the jury is out on that one just now to will see how it gells together, think we’re still short upfront and think we need more pace in the team middle to front.

Time will tell whether McCall’s got it right 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Harkins and miller have a far higher pedigree than craig I'm afraid, but they are going/gone. Obviously age a factor. Even Saunders has an international cap and he is on a shoogly peg.  Most fans agree the window comings and goings look positive, but not all will be convinced of course. McCall is looking to the future not the past. He will either be a football genius or fail dramatically. Let's hope it's the former. Generally speaking are you in favour of the direction we are taking or not? 

McCall maybe looking to the future not the past but there still a few people rightly or wrongly think he will still sign Doolan and erskine in this window. I think we would just be wasting money on fees when if he really wanted them He could get them free in the summer  (and I’m not saying they should be signed-in fact I’d probably be against taking them both back- possibly Doolan as a youth coach funded by Thistleweir)

The first time I saw McGinty play, I thought he was clumsy and awkward...I do remember a game towards the end of last season when he made a number of swaggering runs forward but he just wasn't good enough...seemed like a decent guy and good luck to him...a certainty to score against us!

I was more impressed with the first few times I saw Slater play...he was just the sort of capable midfielder who could bring the ball forward and make a pass that we had lacked in our relegation season...way better than Ryan Edwards, Martin Woods & Adam Barton(Version 2). He became less effective under the Caldwell's Shambles and I remember shouting "No One To Pass To" on a regular basis when he and Banzo brought the ball through from midfield. His injury kept him out of the reckoning for the early part of the season and while a decent player, he was too similar and not as good as Banzo & Cole. I would have thought he is far too good for Queens Park's level but they have just gone professional and maybe they are planning to do a Gretna.

I was told that McCall's initial assessment of his squad was that only Bannigan would have been in his Ayr side so I am not surprised at the extent of the clear-out.  I am not disappointed by the departure of any of the players who have left and there a few more who are still there that I would not miss.  We desperately need a midfield anchor but I'm not sure  about MacKinnon...otherwise  I have faith in  McCall's ability to build a team...but the Jury is still out.

4 hours ago, laukat said:

That was a terrible day but looking back at McGinty falling over whilst trying to get in positon for a header, then getting hit on the head with the ball and accidentally clearing it was top comedy (about 55 seconds into the video below). Even funnier when you consider he wasn't the worst that day.

Ironic that he's now playing most of his games at that ground. Anyone know what the bookies odds are on Morton going down?

One of the few times he won a header!

• Haha 1

Think we still have Harkins , Mansell, Austin and Robsen that will probably leave in this window. This would leave 17 in the squad so plenty of potencial deals still to be done. 

So they could be as many as five still to come in. Deals might not be able to be done with all of the 4 above but I think McCall will want them gone. 

One of two players that can play multile postions would be good. That was the thinking behind going for Gary Miller who has been playing a holding role on midfiled for Falkirk. As we know he can play right-back and centre-back.

Huge changes in this window and looks like there will be very few 'caldwell' players left after January.

Edited by Alan Murray

32 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Think we still have Harkins , Mansell, Austin and Robsen that will probably leave in this window. This would leave 17 in the squad so plenty of potencial deals still to be done. 

So they could be as many as five still to come in. Deals might not be able to be done with all of the 4 above but I think McCall will want them gone. 

One of two players that can play multile postions would be good. That was the thinking behind going for Gary Miller who has been playing a holding role on midfiled for Falkirk. As we know he can play right-back and centre-back.

Huge changes in this window and looks like there will be very few 'caldwell' players left after January.

Cardle, Saunders and potentially Williamson too.

43 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

10 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

As busy as this transfer window has been, I can't see that number of players leaving in 3 days - let alone IMC being able to secure replacements! What would concern me though is having that level of turnover and expecting it all to gel together quickly.....  but I agree the names mentioned here do need to go, if not now then certainly at the end of the season.

21 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Yes I agree but as said below not sure we will turnover that amount of players plus we will mosty be offering loans and short-term deals and that will limit our options. 

Not sure if Jones is 100% safe either to be honest. 

Yes, I'll take Jones as well, thanks.

I think there was a general consensus that Sir Bunter needed to make a complete clear out; logically the bigger the clear out the bigger the impact of the turnover on what little 'stability' there is/has been. Hence why, Saturday's shambles notwithstanding, I think he needs to be cut a lot of slack.

Not too fussed one way or the other about Cardle. Something tells me he might be a more effective player with more mobility (effectively Rudden) around him. Assuming Harkins leaves and with Miller away I'm less concerned with the overall pace in the team. The other side of the coin being I wouldn't want to face the rest of the season watching Joe get caught on the ball and wrong-footing the rest of the team.

Cardle is still reasonably decent played on the left cutting in on his good foot. Zanatta looks far from a certain starter so there's still a case for retaining Cardle. Of course if we go to a default three at the back then there's less of a case for having an extra wide player.