January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

42 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm not convinced that it was just the players. For 2.5 years now we have had a succession of players who have not delivered at the level they did for other clubs, or even for Thistle in the past. I think that there is something more to this, perhaps the turmoil in the board room with now 3 changes and a 4th to come. I just hope that this current crop don't suffer the same fate.

Completely agree DD.

There seemed to be a feeling/culture/malaise, call it what you will around the club,  that affected ( or dis-affected) the players when they signed for us. I’m amazed ( but pleased) that despite having a temporary Board, serious efforts are being made to get us back on track.

51 minutes ago, east end jag said:

Not making a judgement on whether we should sign him or not, however l have seen people talk about Michael Tidser possibly being a target. Anyway, Falkirk have freed him.

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2020/01/24/michael-tidser-departs/

No idea how the guy's being playing of late, but the fact he's being freed by Falkirk and wasn't getting that much game time suggests one to avoid. Would seem strange releasing Slater and replacing him with an older player.

1 hour ago, east end jag said:

Not making a judgement on whether we should sign him or not, however l have seen people talk about Michael Tidser possibly being a target. Anyway, Falkirk have freed him.

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2020/01/24/michael-tidser-departs/

I heard his name mentioned a few days as signing for someone. It might have been Queens Park, but definitely not us

If things stay as they are with no further signings or departures I think we can assess this window as successful.  IMO transfer activity represents a good balance between short term and long term needs with perhaps a bit more emphasis on the short term  needed. 

I expect my sanity will be questioned on this next point  but I have no problems with Williamson, Saunders and Mansell still being at Firhill. I feel there is something in each of these players that IMC (and coaches) can develop. 

On the other hand would not be unhappy if Robson, Cardle and Zanetta were released. The latter two strike me as players who will contribute to a team which is flying, like Dundee Utd, but are not suited to one which is struggling like PTFC! They don't appear to have the attitude, work ethic or commitment to the cause! 

Austin, haven't seen him but defer to fellow posters who have. Let him go! 

7 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

On the other hand would not be unhappy if Robson, Cardle and Zanetta were released. The latter two strike me as players who will contribute to a team which is flying, like Dundee Utd, but are not suited to one which is struggling like PTFC! They don't appear to have the attitude, work ethic or commitment to the cause! 

I know where you're coming from with Zanatta, but he did impress last season at struggling Alloa

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Heard Doolan is off to Morton. 

Alloa and Arbroath don't need him

QOS he would be behind Dobbie

But he offers Morton something different from their big guys

I thought earlier today Morton would make most sense for Dools

16 minutes ago, jaf said:

Alloa and Arbroath don't need him

QOS he would be behind Dobbie

But he offers Morton something different from their big guys

I thought earlier today Morton would make most sense for Dools

Mortons long ball game won’t suit Dools at all , get him back to where he belongs as either a back up to Rudden or Graham and he was definitely an influence in a Coaching capacity 

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

If things stay as they are with no further signings or departures I think we can assess this window as successful.  IMO transfer activity represents a good balance between short term and long term needs with perhaps a bit more emphasis on the short term  needed. 

I expect my sanity will be questioned on this next point  but I have no problems with Williamson, Saunders and Mansell still being at Firhill. I feel there is something in each of these players that IMC (and coaches) can develop. 

Austin, haven't seen him but defer to fellow posters who have. Let him go! 

I don't think you can include Joe Cardle as someone who doesn't work hard or isn't committed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AlgarveJag said:

Doolan's release from Ayr confirmed on AUFC website now.

I can understand the sentiment behind a return to Firhill but think he'd be better taking a 6 month role somewhere he'll get game-time.  He can come home when we steady this ship and identify a proper role for him.

Agree tho' he did have a coaching role before he left. But a short term playing contract elsewhere  might be better for the man himself.

Rather see him back just now in a dual role tho' I'd very much hope he'd only be a sort of back up to a back up on the playing front.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Would 100% take Doolan if at all possible. Great threat, even from the bench. Also intelligent enough to play behind the main forward(s) & hold up the play. First touch outstanding. Also also, echo what others have said - would simply be a great guy to have around the club. 

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Would 100% take Doolan if at all possible. Great threat, even from the bench. Also intelligent enough to play behind the main forward(s) & hold up the play. First touch outstanding. Also also, echo what others have said - would simply be a great guy to have around the club. 

Take off your rose tinted glasses. Dolan was not good enough for us last year and is not good enough for Ayr this year. His playing days at our level are over. I don’t know about his coaching ability, so I leave others to comment on that, but as a player, even a backup, no thanks.

As for Morton, he would be wasted with their style of play

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Take off your rose tinted glasses. Dolan was not good enough for us last year and is not good enough for Ayr this year. His playing days at our level are over. I don’t know about his coaching ability, so I leave others to comment on that, but as a player, even a backup, no thanks.

I'm not saying he'd be a starter every week or play 90 mins - but if we need a goal with 15-20 mins to go, I'd back Doolan at this level. 

Agree regarding Morton.

Regardless of where he ends up, wish him all the very best.

20 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Got to disagree DD , the chances we’ve created this year with no forward even in the vicinity of the penalty box , I reckon with the way we are playing just now Doolan would get goals , we’ve just given Brian Graham a 2 and 1/2 year deal who has scored a total of 10 goals in  the last 2 seasons .

Doolan is only a year older than Brian Graham , I wouldn’t write him off just yet .

• Like 2