January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

Don't know anything about Mayo's loan deal as such but I'd be surprised if Sevco don't have a preferred position they'd like us to play him in. Given MacKinnon isn't looking anything like a 90 min player I think we may see Mayo play in centre mid. Bar the odd game I can't see us play three at the back. We've a strong compliment of midfielders (Gordon returning to fitness now as well) and I think Graham and Rudden will be tried as a partnership up top. 

40 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't know anything about Mayo's loan deal as such but I'd be surprised if Sevco don't have a preferred position they'd like us to play him in. Given MacKinnon isn't looking anything like a 90 min player I think we may see Mayo play in centre mid. Bar the odd game I can't see us play three at the back. We've a strong compliment of midfielders (Gordon returning to fitness now as well) and I think Graham and Rudden will be tried as a partnership up top. 

Thanks for that. What I do get is the players he is signing is with a view to keep us up and for next season. What I don't understand is the loan signings of Mayo and Barjonas. Wont be here next season and very inexperienced for our relegation battle.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Thanks for that. What I do get is the players he is signing is with a view to keep us up and for next season. What I don't understand is the loan signings of Mayo and Barjonas. Wont be here next season and very inexperienced for our relegation battle.

Quite often, I think loans turn into permanent deals, or loan extensions.

14 minutes ago, elevenone said:

James Craigen making his debut off the bench for Arbroath today, likewise Jai Quitongo for Dumbarton.  Hadn’t realised they had signed up this week.  Also see Evan Galasso away on loan to BSC Glasgow.

Craigen signed last night, not sure when Quitongo signed but i am sure he was involved in the penalty Aberdeen got a few weeks ago  that knocked Dumbarton out the cup. 

39 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Craigen signed last night, not sure when Quitongo signed but i am sure he was involved in the penalty Aberdeen got a few weeks ago  that knocked Dumbarton out the cup. 

Just checked AJ.  Jai signed this week for Dumbarton.  His brother Rico also plays for them and it was him who conceded the pen up at Aberdeen.

• Thanks 1

Heard Ray Bradshaw on Soccer FM said that we got all our January targets barring Forrest.

He also stated that Caldwell was offered Nisbet in the summer but knocked back the move.

Finally Harkins and Miller could be set for Kelty Hearts.

That just about wraps up the transfer window.

Good on paper just need to start showing that on grass/ plastic...

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

We failed to get Mansell out on loan and move Austin on. That would have  gave us the option of bringing in another striker and wide player. 

It was always going to be difficult to get all the players that needed to move on out though. 

To jump start his career?

Almost certainly Mansell would have gone on loan to a part time club so I suspect we'd still be paying a chunk of his wages.  Pity about Mansell, as with another year on his contract if he'd shown some decent form on loan he could maybe have been considered a worthwhile squad player. But you really want your back up strikers to at least be considered impact players. 

Altho' we don't know the various financial terms it looks like we did OK re our departing players. That said apart from the aforementioned there's a few left that won't probably play unless/till injuries and suspensions kick in. As AM says it's always difficult to move players (under contract) on. I'd add especially mid season. Conversely it's just as difficult to bring in players you want in January. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Unfit how can he be??can't think the last time he played...

That's because...he's injured...

I hope he's keeping an eye on Brian Graham in training and paying particular attention to him in games. That could be his future. Whether or not that's with us, who knows?  But I seem to remember Brian's career being kick-started by a successful loan spell at East Stirlingshire.

Edited by Dark Passenger

8 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

That's because...he's injured...

I hope he's keeping an eye on Brian Graham in training and paying particular attention to him in games. That could be his future. Whether or not that's with us, who knows?  But I seem to remember Brian's career being kick-started by a successful loan spell at East Stirlingshire.

Yes, played for the shire and I went up to Ochilview on a couple of occasions when he was playing. Sat beside his dad, who had a bet that his son would score the first goal. It was said he made quite a large profit on his son's skills when playing with the E.S

On 2/1/2020 at 8:01 AM, Jaggernaut said:

I wish he was still with us.

I don’t.

I agree he always gave 100% but thought he was completely lacking in skill. He wouldn’t have got near the team I supported all those years ago.

To me he was an indication how We and Scottish Football in general have ‘dumbed down’ over the decades.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

I don’t.

I agree he always gave 100% but thought he was completely lacking in skill. He wouldn’t have got near the team I supported all those years ago.

To me he was an indication how We and Scottish Football in general have ‘dumbed down’ over the decades.

I think these are two different points. I personally agree with exiledjag and wish Christie was still here. I base this on that he is a very good right back defensively, even at (present) premier level and definitely at  this level. He also had some pace, which we still lack. Couldn't cross a ball, but going by last Friday, nor can many of the present team.

This is irrelevant to whether Christie would be good enough for a Jags team of 40 or 50 years ago. Undoubtedly the Scottish leagues are much weaker than they were then; in the sixties through to the eighties Scottish teams were a genuine force in Europe, rather than the cannon fodder they seem to be now. But we are where we are. I suspect none of the present team would get near a Jags team of the sixties or seventies. However, I still think Christie would improve a defence which is the worse in its league and incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

• Like 2