Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
jagfox

January Transfer Window 2020

Recommended Posts

Really interesting what McCall was saying today about convincing the board that the team requires major surgery and  to spend more than planned but that that would be more cost effective in the long run rather than chopping and changing every transfer window.   Does anyone have any idea of the cost of letting players go before a contract ends . With Harkins or miller do you have to pay up the full value of their contract or do you sometimes pay a one off fee - less than that value and the player gets another contract so financially is better off?  I read that miller agreed to rip up his contract ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dibble said:

Really interesting what McCall was saying today about convincing the board that the team requires major surgery and  to spend more than planned but that that would be more cost effective in the long run rather than chopping and changing every transfer window.   Does anyone have any idea of the cost of letting players go before a contract ends . With Harkins or miller do you have to pay up the full value of their contract or do you sometimes pay a one off fee - less than that value and the player gets another contract so financially is better off?  I read that miller agreed to rip up his contract ?

Everything is negotiable.

There are many, many ways to get a player to leave by 'mutual consent'. One of the most obvious is to parp him off to another club with the difference in his new (lower) contract and his existing contract being paid by the original club for the length of the original agreement.

Lump sum payments too, although those may be staged due to tax implications.

Kenny Miller probably came to a private agreement, given that unlike players 10-15 years younger at our level, he won't (or shouldn't) be needing money for his mortgage payments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dibble said:

Really interesting what McCall was saying today about convincing the board that the team requires major surgery and  to spend more than planned but that that would be more cost effective in the long run rather than chopping and changing every transfer window.   Does anyone have any idea of the cost of letting players go before a contract ends . With Harkins or miller do you have to pay up the full value of their contract or do you sometimes pay a one off fee - less than that value and the player gets another contract so financially is better off?  I read that miller agreed to rip up his contract ?

If the bit in bold is true then Miller has went up in my estimation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, laukat said:

I don't recall McCall playing 3-5-2 much with Ayr so I would agree we are likely to play diamond in a 4-4-2. I suspect it will be like this

                                            Fox

O'Connell-Saunders-O'Ware-Penrice

                               MacKinnon

              Cole                                  Bannigan

                              Zannatta

                  Rudden           Graham

Hopefully we sign a left sided central defender in which case Saunders drops out and O'Ware moves across. I think Zannatta will play just behind the front players as per Chris Erskine where he may be able to cause a bit more chaos. Its not impossible it becomes a 4-3-3 with Graham in the centre and Rudden and Zannatta either side. I think Zannatta's pace makes him a key component but sticking him on the wing means he has limited chance to influence play.

 

I think it will be a 352 tomorrow with O'Connor and Graham replacing Robson and Miller who started v Celtic. If it is a diamond in midfield your team could be right but I think Barjonas would maybe start ahead of Zanatta. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, laukat said:

If the bit in bold is true then Miller has went up in my estimation.

Think the circumstances are a bit different for Miller and Harkins

Kenny Miller can probably afford to rip up his contract due to the career he’s had at the top level

Harkins will probably be looking for a pay off as he’s probably the same as the rest of us with bills to pay .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Happyjag said:

Any ideas who the other names mcall was referring to still hopefully to come in....anyone please

Mayo from Rangers has been frequently linked to come on loan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dibble said:

Really interesting what McCall was saying today about convincing the board that the team requires major surgery and  to spend more than planned but that that would be more cost effective in the long run rather than chopping and changing every transfer window.   Does anyone have any idea of the cost of letting players go before a contract ends . With Harkins or miller do you have to pay up the full value of their contract or do you sometimes pay a one off fee - less than that value and the player gets another contract so financially is better off?  I read that miller agreed to rip up his contract ?

I was wondering  whether the fact that we have a board in limbo at the moment means that there isn’t actually anyone holding the purse strings who will have responsibility at the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I was wondering  whether the fact that we have a board in limbo at the moment means that there isn’t actually anyone holding the purse strings who will have responsibility at the end of the season.

That’s a reasonable question .....but I’m not sure we can actually spend money we don’t have as we don’t have ant borrowing or overdraft facilities?

It’s possible the Celtic gave us some headroom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, Yellow & Redneck said:

I think some people (not necessarily on here, but on social media) have been awfully harsh towards Miller, and it is certainly unwarranted. 

I don't think this contribution was necessarily worth the huge wage bill that he was purported to be on - that's pretty self-evident. But despite being 40, the guy still managed to score more league goals in his first 6-months here than Doolan managed during the whole of the 16-17, and 17-18 season. For anyone, and I mean anyone, to still be playing FT professional football at the age of 40 is a massive achievement, and we currently have players half his age who haven't shown the level of fitness or ability that he has. 

Ultimately with Rudden and Graham coming in, I think it was the right decision. We need to be looking to the future. But I think it would serve some people well to remember that we could easily be completely cut adrift at the bottom of the table at this moment if it wasn't for a decent spell from him at the start of the season. 

The fact, it is reported, that he still is seeking out first-team football at his age is a testament to his character and work rate. 

Kenny Miller started 20 league games this season, came on as a sub once and scored 5 goals, set up 1. Total  1753 minutes (350 m a goal)

Doolan 17-18 started 14, subbed on 14 league games scored 4 set up 2. Total match time 1376 minutes (344 m a goal)

Doolan 18-19 started 24 , subbed on 6 league games, scored 6 set up 2. Total match time 2062 minutes (343 m a goal)

 

Millers return or contribution is not any better than Doolan on either of those seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, javeajag said:

That’s a reasonable question .....but I’m not sure we can actually spend money we don’t have as we don’t have ant borrowing or overdraft facilities?

It’s possible the Celtic gave us some headroom 

Technically we could overspend as our £300k ? cash reserves would act as a buffer till its drawn down. I cannot hough see Thistle Fans who are on the board allowing that.

Celtic game will help, Miller off the wage bill would probably cover 2 or 3 players depending on their wage demands at this level (3 Rudden’s, 2 Graham’s ),  not sure how much (if any) contribution we paid QPR for Kakay but with wages significantly higher down there that may have freed up more spend than 1 player. I think we may be spending slightly more than December but have more scope, depth and quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Technically we could overspend as our £300k ? cash reserves would act as a buffer till its drawn down. I cannot hough see Thistle Fans who are on the board allowing that.

Celtic game will help, Miller off the wage bill would probably cover 2 or 3 players depending on their wage demands at this level (3 Rudden’s, 2 Graham’s ),  not sure how much (if any) contribution we paid QPR for Kakay but with wages significantly higher down there that may have freed up more spend than 1 player. I think we may be spending slightly more than December but have more scope, depth and quality.

Let’s be optimistic in the meantime !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Let’s be optimistic in the meantime !

I am being if you fully read the post, I think we’ve removed a high wage and replaced with a few “hungrier” lower wages and utilized the cup money well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Mayo from Rangers has been frequently linked to come on loan

He ruled out a move for Mayo as Rangers had a few injuries at centre back I’m sure.  I loved his Jagzone interview where he referred to the board as ‘ the high heid yeens’, brilliant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

I am being if you fully read the post, I think we’ve removed a high wage and replaced with a few “hungrier” lower wages and utilized the cup money well. 

Wasn’t making any Criticism !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Shame. Mayo would have been good in the dressing room.

Not to much Mayo, players have to watch their diet.:getmecoat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Kenny Miller started 20 league games this season, came on as a sub once and scored 5 goals, set up 1. Total  1753 minutes (350 m a goal)

Doolan 17-18 started 14, subbed on 14 league games scored 4 set up 2. Total match time 1376 minutes (344 m a goal)

Doolan 18-19 started 24 , subbed on 6 league games, scored 6 set up 2. Total match time 2062 minutes (343 m a goal)

 

Millers return or contribution is not any better than Doolan on either of those seasons

Very similar I agree. Maybe we should have kept him similar to those who wanted Dools to stay? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Kenny Miller started 20 league games this season, came on as a sub once and scored 5 goals, set up 1. Total  1753 minutes (350 m a goal)

Doolan 17-18 started 14, subbed on 14 league games scored 4 set up 2. Total match time 1376 minutes (344 m a goal)

Doolan 18-19 started 24 , subbed on 6 league games, scored 6 set up 2. Total match time 2062 minutes (343 m a goal)

 

Millers return or contribution is not any better than Doolan on either of those seasons

Why omit cup.games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Rodden joins Annan on loan for the rest of the season. Andrew played for Thistle in the Glasgow cup tie against the Rangers on Tuesday. Annan are currently 4th in league 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Why omit cup.games?

I can give you the stats for all, but league determines the survival of the club

 

Miller - 10 goals 1 assist in 2639 minutes. (1 goal / 264 minutes)

Doolan (18/19) - 6 goals 2 assists in 2683 minutes. (1 goal / 447 minutes)

Doolan (17/18) - 11 goals 4 assists in 2367 minutes. (1 goal / 215 minutes).

 

Miller is a better challenge cup player

 

Edited by Norgethistle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I can give you the stats for all, but league determines the survival of the club

Cup games have an impact, too, particularly if a player's contribution leads to a money-spinning tie with the proceeds being used to improve the squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 8:32 PM, Dark Passenger said:

No.

Close, though.

.............................Fox

....Saunders...O'Ware...McGinty

........................MacKinnon

O'Connor..Cole..Bannigan..Penrice

..................Rudden...Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×