January Transfer Window 2020

jagfox

18 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I’ll be really disappointed if half this squad is still here come 1st Feb.

But who in their right mind is going to take them?

I think McCall has said he is looking to get 4 in and getting rid of a few. I think the 2 part time teams will occupy the bottom 2 places come the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think McCall has said he is looking to get 4 in and getting rid of a few. I think the 2 part time teams will occupy the bottom 2 places come the end of the season.

Not sure about that AJ , think I’ll wait till after the next 2 games for that prediction, hopefully McCall has got something up his sleeve , we’re sorely missing any goalscoring threat , as soon as Harkins came on as Centre forward today , for me the game was finished .  Despite GH’s cameo last week when the game opened up , today GH ran about within a radius of 6 feet and it was too easy for the Dundee defence .

Think even Mansell might have been a better option if he had been on the bench .

33 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure about that AJ , think I’ll wait till after the next 2 games for that prediction, hopefully McCall has got something up his sleeve , we’re sorely missing any goalscoring threat , as soon as Harkins came on as Centre forward today , for me the game was finished .  Despite GH’s cameo last week when the game opened up , today GH ran about within a radius of 6 feet and it was too easy for the Dundee defence .

Think even Mansell might have been a better option if he had been on the bench .

Agree the next 2 games might give a better indication of where we might be. I think Arbroath will struggle now and they are only 4 points ahead of us.

31 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I hope we are looking to bolster our attacking options in January- I know we are linked with Doolan but I fear we need a lot more than him - hoping McCall can try and get someone like rudden, Scott Wright, Brian Graham etc to join. 

They would normally be decent shouts however with Rudden I don’t think Rangers were wanting him back on loan in Championship as he already proved he can cut it in this league.  He has also not really set the heather on fire at Plymouth.  Graham has been featuring for Ross C so unsure if he would want to drop down and Wright has done his cruciate ligament.

It is going to be a tough job getting a centre forward in who can hit the ground running in Jan and I think McCall will have to look outwith the Scottish market for one.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

What about Miller? He's scored one goal in 11 matches. Is he really the best we can do?

He is all over the place, but very rarely in the penalty area when he should be there. One point yesterday he was in the left back position wanting Fox to give him the ball.

• Like 1

No idea about the substance re Brian Graham but he's likely both the kind and standard of forward we require.  Perhaps he's similar as was reported with Fox in wanting to return to the Central Belt and monetary decisions come second. If so all the better. If not he'd be a relatively expensive signing and more to the point at his age he'd have little to no future financial value. Also it would be likely at his age he'd be looking at security and thus we'd maybe be talking about a contract of 18 months minimum. Bringing in experienced players like Graham is probably now a necessity just like this time last season with McDonald, Cardle, Harkins & Anderson. Sadly it won't take us forward and will be designed more as damage limitation.

Got a feeling in a general sort of way that the players leaving will simply be the ones easiest to release. Fans might be surprised at why less deserving players remain. I really feel that the lack of pace within the squad has to be addressed next month.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No idea about the substance re Brian Graham but he's likely both the kind and standard of forward we require.  Perhaps he's similar as was reported with Fox in wanting to return to the Central Belt and monetary decisions come second. If so all the better. If not he'd be a relatively expensive signing and more to the point at his age he'd have little to no future financial value. Also it would be likely at his age he'd be looking at security and thus we'd maybe be talking about a contract of 18 months minimum. Bringing in experienced players like Graham is probably now a necessity just like this time last season with McDonald, Cardle, Harkins & Anderson. Sadly it won't take us forward and will be designed more as damage limitation.

Got a feeling in a general sort of way that the players leaving will simply be the ones easiest to release. Fans might be surprised at why less deserving players remain. I really feel that the lack of pace within the squad has to be addressed next month.

Would relegation?

Also he won the Championship last season. That's the level required.

I appreciate what you're getting at but we need seasoned heads now and next season. Maybe not as seasoned as McDonald or Miller going forward...

Also Brian Graham has been pretty vocal about his dislike for Thistle and its supporters over the years, going back over a decade.

He has chosen not to sign for us at least 3 times. The last one being when Archie tried to sign him and he went to County instead.

Will make for an interesting first interview, if he is the guy?

Also McGinty has to think that his time at Thistle is over given he has lost his place to Saunders and also on Saturday Penrice was moved inside instead of a straight swap.

Similar for Robson, Slater, Palmer, if you are not really trusted from the bench time to move on.

1 hour ago, Juanito said:

Also Brian Graham has been pretty vocal about his dislike for Thistle and its supporters over the years, going back over a decade.

He has chosen not to sign for us at least 3 times. The last one being when Archie tried to sign him and he went to County instead.

Will make for an interesting first interview, if he is the guy?

Also McGinty has to think that his time at Thistle is over given he has lost his place to Saunders and also on Saturday Penrice was moved inside instead of a straight swap.

Similar for Robson, Slater, Palmer, if you are not really trusted from the bench time to move on.

I’ve not heard Brian Graham once share a dislike for Thistle- please provide links if you have them.

by the way turning down a chance to play for us is not an example of having a dislike.

the first time he was close to signing when McNamaras United offered him far more wages than we could compete with.  The other occasion was when we tried to sign him and Ross county offered him far more money than we could compete with. Neither of these are to do with dislike.  I’m generally curious as to where this alleged dislike has come from

if he signs for us he will get more full backing 

I do agree that I think mcgintys time is up - have to say apart from the odd really good performance here and there his career at Firhill has been poor

Edited by Third Lanark

I will try and find the interview that is most stuck in my mind, but maybe my memory is clouded by the years, it was when he was playing at Raith Rovers pretty sure he came out in the press saying stuff about scoring against us to keep us down and help Morton win the league.

I could be biased as I have always enjoyed giving him pelters.

To be fair I had a pretty similar low opinion of Scott McDonald before his first interview on Jagzone.

January isn’t the best time to get what you want in the transfer market so compromises are always likely .....it’s clear the squad isn’t good enough and we can strengthen in just about every area but clearly goal scoring is a problem , the midfield defensively and attacking is weak and we lose too many poor goals 

the good news is that McCall has had enough time to assess and evaluate what he has so I’m sure he has been working on options and changes.....what’s available may be the issue 

50 minutes ago, Juanito said:

I will try and find the interview that is most stuck in my mind, but maybe my memory is clouded by the years, it was when he was playing at Raith Rovers pretty sure he came out in the press saying stuff about scoring against us to keep us down and help Morton win the league.

I could be biased as I have always enjoyed giving him pelters.

To be fair I had a pretty similar low opinion of Scott McDonald before his first interview on Jagzone.

I know he did used to play for Morton.  He always strikes me as pretty committed to whoever he plays for and im sure it will be the case if he does sign for us as well