Fan Ownership Working Group

Springburnjag

Goodwin seems to me a bit of a carpetbagger - he seems to flit from club to club without putting down roots.

Can anyone who was at the meeting tell me whether the issue was raised of how the Club under fans' ownership will deal with finding money to pay for large capital costs for example the bing or refurbishing the main stand. If it was, what answers were given?

5 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Dont do it - have a Board of Directors who pay a Directors Fee  - Run it along traditional lines  

People who are Fans with a Proven Business Track Record - each with an Area of Expertise - 2 Year Fixed Terms - Max 4 Years on the Board  

Your the one who said we had run out of ‘ proven business track record ‘ fans ! Now they are queuing up to pay for the privilege?! So who are they ! 

5 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Goodwin seems to me a bit of a carpetbagger - he seems to flit from club to club without putting down roots.

Can anyone who was at the meeting tell me whether the issue was raised of how the Club under fans' ownership will deal with finding money to pay for large capital costs for example the bing or refurbishing the main stand. If it was, what answers were given?

From memory that exact question wasn’t asked but they did mention about getting in place additional revenue streams such as hiring out suites and lounges more often than they do just now. Plus the money raised from the pledgers would be extra income which the fans would decide on how it is spent.

What should have happened, what I would have liked to happen, which is the best model for a club of our size and other such questions are redundant because the decision has been made. Some will say it not what they wanted but do things that you don't want to happen actually happen on a near daily basis without  people going mad? I wanted my bus home tonight to be on time but it was late however when it came I did not refuse to get on to show my distain as that would be cutting of my nose to spite my face. The current position needs to be dealt with so let's deal with it and not theoretical situations that may or may not be better/worse.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

18 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

He certainly hasn't stayed longer than the two or so years at Stirling Albion. He did seem to achieve their goal of buying the club from the incumbent chairman. £100k in pledges and £200k in loans which were paid up over the two years.

He admitted himself there were issues with how the board was set up. Seems they couldn't vote down members of the interim board some of whom are still in situ.

17 minutes ago, Big Col said:

From memory that exact question wasn’t asked but they did mention about getting in place additional revenue streams such as hiring out suites and lounges more often than they do just now. Plus the money raised from the pledgers would be extra income which the fans would decide on how it is spent.

That is chicken feed, and probably pie in the sky chicken feed, and does not remotely address the issue of the Club's long term capital requirements. 

I presume from the deafening silence on here that this issue was not raised.

9 minutes ago, jagfox said:

He certainly hasn't stayed longer than the two or so years at Stirling Albion. He did seem to achieve their goal of buying the club from the incumbent chairman. £100k in pledges and £200k in loans which were paid up over the two years.

He admitted himself there were issues with how the board was set up. Seems they couldn't vote down members of the interim board some of whom are still in situ.

Stirling Albion fans have a very direct take on what happened and what they have been left with

15 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

That is chicken feed, and probably pie in the sky chicken feed, and does not remotely address the issue of the Club's long term capital requirements. 

I presume from the deafening silence on here that this issue was not raised.

I take it by long term capital requirements you mean the things you mentioned in your last post - the bing and the refurbishment of the decrepit Main Stand (and I'd add in the Jackie Husband stand which has had practically f**k all done to improve it since it was built).

No one asked questions regarding those last night.

If the club is owned by the fans then any improvements to the ground will have to be paid for by money raised by the fans.

I would assume that means no refurbishment of the stadium will be happening any time soon unless significant amounts of money are raised.

Development of the stadium was not happening under the previous board. Land had been sold off and plans were submitted for a tower block of offices and apartments along with a tiny stand four rows deep. That didn't come to fruition.

The stadium has been sitting decaying ever since.

If there's any other long term requirements you're meaning, then it's the same thing. The club cannot spend money it does not have.

I don't appreciate your "deafening silence" quote as though this is some sort of "us versus them" argument. There's only Partick Thistle fans.

Sorry, I might be wrong. There might be "fantasy" and "reality" camps.

I encourage you to attend the next working group meeting whenever it is, if you are able, and ask your questions in person. And if you have any suggestions, contribute.

• Like 1

Well this thread seems to be heading down the same way as previous ones. Petty point scoring, my business pals are better than yours and I know things that you don't so I'm better than you.

As has been said, both here and at the meeting last night, there are no rich benefactrors lining up with infinitly deep pockets to take over the running of our club. To say that the only people who are capable of running a football club are businessmen is laughable. The only businessmen who would take it on are either deluded or have other ideas apart from keeping a football club sustained.

I honestly believe that if we want our club to survive then we need to look at different models away from the business one which is failing. Which business these days can keep going without growing and diversifying?  Car dealerships survive by being credit brokers, supermarkets by holding land banks and banks by mortgaging small businesses out of existance and selling off their assets. The be all and end all of a "well-run" business is no more or less than to make profit. That will not happen in football these days.

We should be looking towards set-ups like social enterprises, co-operatives, housing associations, community, land buy-outs and the like. People working together for the common good of their communities, which in our case is Jags fans. We have the opportunity to (quickly, I will admit) look at options and pick the one, or combination of ones, which will suit us best. So why not stop the point scoring and willy waving and try to pull together to take our club forward. Granted it may fail and end in disaster but please god don't let that happen because we didn't try.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Stirling Albion fans have a very direct take on what happened and what they have been left with

Which is? 

That was ten years ago and it would seems there were errors made in the club's constitution which led to a lot of problems.

What was Goodwin culpable of?

I genuinely haven't been able to find anything since the buyout.

49 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

I take it by long term capital requirements you mean the things you mentioned in your last post - the bing and the refurbishment of the decrepit Main Stand (and I'd add in the Jackie Husband stand which has had practically f**k all done to improve it since it was built).

No one asked questions regarding those last night.

If the club is owned by the fans then any improvements to the ground will have to be paid for by money raised by the fans.

I would assume that means no refurbishment of the stadium will be happening any time soon unless significant amounts of money are raised.

Development of the stadium was not happening under the previous board. Land had been sold off and plans were submitted for a tower block of offices and apartments along with a tiny stand four rows deep. That didn't come to fruition.

The stadium has been sitting decaying ever since.

If there's any other long term requirements you're meaning, then it's the same thing. The club cannot spend money it does not have.

I don't appreciate your "deafening silence" quote as though this is some sort of "us versus them" argument. There's only Partick Thistle fans.

Sorry, I might be wrong. There might be "fantasy" and "reality" camps.

I encourage you to attend the next working group meeting whenever it is, if you are able, and ask your questions in person. And if you have any suggestions, contribute.

I don't understand how you take an "us versus them" conclusion from my post.

I was simply trying to find out whether anyone had raised what to me is a critical issue in how might be Club funded and run.

Both you and Big Col have now confirmed that this was not raised, and so my assumption was correct.

You're presumably not suggesting that asking questions outside of meetings that not everyone can attend should be discouraged.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

What should have happened, what I would have liked to happen, which is the best model for a club of our size and other such questions are redundant because the decision has been made. Some will say it not what they wanted but do things that you don't want to happen actually happen on a near daily basis without  people going mad? I wanted my bus home tonight to be on time but it was late however when it came I did not refuse to get on to show my distain as that would be cutting of my nose to spite my face. The current position needs to be dealt with so let's deal with it and not theoretical situations that may or may not be better/worse.

There are other viable options rather than whats being proposed - therefore whats being proposed is not the only route that  needs to be taken and carries very very high risk for the Club - ALL options should be considered including Not Proceeding