Poll : How's the forum these days?

allyo

Forum debate  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find the forum these days?

• Overwhelmed by petty point scoring drivel from a limited number of posters, who'd rather argue their point to death without giving it a second thought, with people who are never going to change their minds anyway, than engage in any meaningful discussion; and who don't mind imposing their own self importance on everyone else
    • Really good thanks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2019 at 03:00 PM

The low point for me was when two of the more regular posters on the New Owner Thread had an exchange about whether or not they would sit together at Firhill - from what I can tell neither of them have actually seen a game at Firhill for years...they  never post comments about watching a game there.

I used to enjoy reading this Forum even when I didn't agree with the views expressed. Over the last few months, it would give you the visual and mental equivalent of Repetitive Strain Injury. Rather like Political Parties passing themselves as Fact-Checkers, changing a name doesn't change the Mince that is being posted.

The general malaise around the Club doesn't help but I skip reading an increasing number of posts now - it's not surprising several of the more interesting posters are no longer regular contributors.

Honestly if you don't like a thread why not just ignore it? Same as if you do not like a poster ignore them?

I think sometimes certain people (usually the pun brigade) think the forum is their very own personal space just as some people (the argumentative ones) thing that the forum is a playground. We can all thrive together if we are just grown up and stop being such pansies making polls or running to admin crying.

Honestly despair of this world these days!

The poll sums it up. The forum has become very Brexity. Reactionary rather than informative. Some threads can be interesting but they soon get diluted by certain posters and then the moment has gone. Others are overrun with puns. 

Obviously the team being pretty shite for the last two and a half years doesn’t help but all the takeover chat adds a sprinkling of toxicity with more ad hominem than opinion at times.

The club doesn’t help at times with a lack of communication. I subscribe to Jag zone but can’t say those who don’t are missing much apart from match replays and highlights...oh wait!

Maybe like the fanzine the one club forum has had its day. There’s livelier debate on Facebook and Twitter these days around Thistle. It’s certainly hit and miss and can follow the polemic style on here at times.but is more vibrant and frankly more entertaining. 

Maybe when we get an upturn in our footballing fortunes and are clearly told about the club’s strategic going forward things might perk up. Until them it will remain petty and ill informed...

I guess I’m leaning to option one but not wholly as there can be the odd diamond in the rough.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Honestly if you don't like a thread why not just ignore it? Same as if you do not like a poster ignore them?

I think sometimes certain people (usually the pun brigade) think the forum is their very own personal space just as some people (the argumentative ones) thing that the forum is a playground. We can all thrive together if we are just grown up and stop being such pansies making polls or running to admin crying.

Honestly despair of this world these days!

Not disagreeing with you, Pinhead. My problem tho' is that you can be very interested in the subject matter of a certain thread but unless you're a gifted speed reader or on here incessantly you get totally lost.  95% of the posting on such threads may be repetitive point scoring, the trouble being is sourcing the 5% that's informative and/or offering anything new. With me it's not a case of disliking a thread (certainly not the subject matter) it's the filibustering effect I dislike.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

For me the New Owner thread has poisoned this forum. The know alls passing off opinion as fact in order to create an illusion of authority on matters upon which they were utterly ignorant has been a turning point for me at least but that is the nature of social media discussion I suppose.

• Like 2

I don't get the chance to come on alot but I've always looked to dip in when I can and it's a great source of information. Recently, seems to be for those who can spend hours expressing their views. Fine, but for the casual observer and someone who posts when he can then it becomes less relevant. That, and the lack of football discussion, probably accounts for the decreasing numbers of folk.

• Like 1

I go from one thread to "next unread thread", which means that I don't know which thread is going to be next.

This causes me to accidentally hit these Mega-threads of Tedium that I wouldn't choose to read if I saw it the index.

I guess I need to change my browsing habits here.

What I notice is that combatants come and go, but the one consistent poster of continually agumentative guff is Jordanhill Jag.

This goes back to threads of identical style where JJ and Red Monkey used to go at it interminably, over what I no longer remember, maybe 10 years ago.

Accordingly, I skip through JJ's endless self-important posts and, increasingly those of the other contributors to these discussions(?).

I guess Ineed to put JJ on ignore again so, if I miss other contributors' Bon Mots, then we are both probably the poorer for it.

Now where is Dave Johnston these days...?:)