Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
allyo

Poll : How's the forum these days?

Forum debate  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How do you find the forum these days?

    • Overwhelmed by petty point scoring drivel from a limited number of posters, who'd rather argue their point to death without giving it a second thought, with people who are never going to change their minds anyway, than engage in any meaningful discussion; and who don't mind imposing their own self importance on everyone else
      48
    • Really good thanks
      8

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2019 at 03:00 PM

Recommended Posts

I click on for a look and then my heart generally sinks.

I can't be bothered posting, mostly, and hope what I read doesn't ever diminish my support for the greatest team to ever exist.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

For me the New Owner thread has poisoned this forum. The know alls passing off opinion as fact in order to create an illusion of authority on matters upon which they were utterly ignorant has been a turning point for me at least but that is the nature of social media discussion I suppose.

I agree whole heartedly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the years this forum has done a number of good things. Raising money for Thistle by sponsoring players, Doolan 100 goals presentation and on a personal note the tributes for young Robert after he passed away are something myself and Eunice will always be very grateful for. But recently some posters do not accept that there can be more than one opinion on a subject. We are all Thistle supporters and just because somebody has a different opinion from you, doesn't make their point any less relevant, or them any less of a Thistle fan than you.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Over the years this forum has done a number of good things. Raising money for Thistle by sponsoring players, Doolan 100 goals presentation and on a personal note the tributes for young Robert after he passed away are something myself and Eunice will always be very grateful for. But recently some posters do not accept that there can be more than one opinion on a subject. We are all Thistle supporters and just because somebody has a different opinion from you, doesn't make their point any less relevant, or them any less of a Thistle fan than you.

well said :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the posts are not my cup of tea. I find some of threads very boring and struggle to read them. However, I don't have to read them, it's not like I am stuck in a room with folk droning on and on, or being subjected to some dull as dishwasher speaker at some god awful event, who's in love with their own voice, that's steadily making me lose the will to live.

I am not keen on the following though:

People who rip it out of others because they are deemed to have a poor standard of writing. I think these "clever" people are the ignorant ones and not those that they seek to disparage.

You have the morality police, the ones that say things like there is "no place" for views, thoughts, or opinions like this in "today's society". These folk have some front, thinking they can go about, laying down their law. Who do they think they are?

Then you have the characters that always shout about "diversity", until it's a something that they don't agree with, then they suddenly become very reactionary and diversity goes right out the window.

Some of the folk on this forum aren't too easy breezy. That's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Honestly if you don't like a thread why not just ignore it? Same as if you do not like a poster ignore them?

I think sometimes certain people (usually the pun brigade) think the forum is their very own personal space just as some people (the argumentative ones) thing that the forum is a playground. We can all thrive together if we are just grown up and stop being such pansies making polls or running to admin crying.

Honestly despair of this world these days!

Pretty much every thread recently has descended to the same level. As your post has just demonstrated( and mine by responding)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pinhead said:

We can all thrive together if we are just grown up and stop being such pansies making polls or running to admin crying.

This is the first poll I've seen here in ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

I go from one thread to "next unread thread", which means that I don't know which thread is going to be next.

This causes me to accidentally hit these Mega-threads of Tedium that I wouldn't choose to read if I saw it the index.

I guess I need to change my browsing habits here.

What I notice is that combatants come and go, but the one consistent poster of continually agumentative guff is Jordanhill Jag.

This goes back to threads of identical style where JJ and Red Monkey used to go at it interminably, over what I no longer remember, maybe 10 years ago.

Accordingly, I skip through JJ's endless self-important posts and, increasingly those of the other contributors to these discussions(?).

I guess Ineed to put JJ on ignore again so, if I miss other contributors' Bon Mots, then we are both probably the poorer for it.

Now where is Dave Johnston these days...?:)

Very revealing that you've singled the one poster who has tried to bring some sense or reality to what it takes to actually run a football club (as a business entity), but have not an word of criticism for the 'self-important' (and in some cases failed) ego-trippers who have continually  moved the goalposts over the issue 'fan ownership' (n. b. quotation marks).

It's astounding how many people complain about the 'tedium ' of certain threads yet are happy to plough through them in order to launch personal attacks. Like this one.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Pretty much every thread recently has descended to the same level. As your post has just demonstrated( and mine by responding)

So just because you don't like something or someone and their opinion or way of posting doesn't fit your agenda they are all wrong? Pretty closed off viewpoint no?  I cannot stand the threads being destroyed by idiotic puns but do you see me creating a poll or complaining to admin about it...no you don't cause i generally ignore it apart from the odd occasion when i have had enough. What do others do in real life when things happen that they do not like...i wonder....seems nobody can cope with, well anything these days without finding offence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Some of the posts are not my cup of tea. I find some of threads very boring and struggle to read them. However, I don't have to read them, it's not like I am stuck in a room with folk droning on and on, or being subjected to some dull as dishwasher speaker at some god awful event, who's in love with their own voice, that's steadily making me lose the will to live.

I am not keen on the following though:

People who rip it out of others because they are deemed to have a poor standard of writing. I think these "clever" people are the ignorant ones and not those that they seek to disparage.

You have the morality police, the ones that say things like there is "no place" for views, thoughts, or opinions like this in "today's society". These folk have some front, thinking they can go about, laying down their law. Who do they think they are?

Then you have the characters that always shout about "diversity", until it's a something that they don't agree with, then they suddenly become very reactionary and diversity goes right out the window.

Some of the folk on this forum aren't too easy breezy. That's for sure.

well said 100% agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Some of the posts are not my cup of tea. I find some of threads very boring and struggle to read them. However, I don't have to read them, it's not like I am stuck in a room with folk droning on and on, or being subjected to some dull as dishwasher speaker at some god awful event, who's in love with their own voice, that's steadily making me lose the will to live.

I am not keen on the following though:

People who rip it out of others because they are deemed to have a poor standard of writing. I think these "clever" people are the ignorant ones and not those that they seek to disparage.

You have the morality police, the ones that say things like there is "no place" for views, thoughts, or opinions like this in "today's society". These folk have some front, thinking they can go about, laying down their law. Who do they think they are?

Then you have the characters that always shout about "diversity", until it's a something that they don't agree with, then they suddenly become very reactionary and diversity goes right out the window.

Some of the folk on this forum aren't too easy breezy. That's for sure.

That's me, Andy. I don't seek to disparage but I understand that it can come across as "clever".

I'm old and I know that my views on the use of English may seem old-fashioned.

Reading some posts actually hurts. The forum is all about written communication. If a poster wants to make a point then it is best done by using the conventions of written English. I shouldn't have to try to interpret what a poster is trying to say. That defeats the purpose of writing anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

So just because you don't like something or someone and their opinion or way of posting doesn't fit your agenda they are all wrong? Pretty closed off viewpoint no?  I cannot stand the threads being destroyed by idiotic puns but do you see me creating a poll or complaining to admin about it...no you don't cause i generally ignore it apart from the odd occasion when i have had enough. What do others do in real life when things happen that they do not like...i wonder....seems nobody can cope with, well anything these days without finding offence.

They probably ignore it apart from the odd occasion when they have had enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

That's me, Andy. I don't seek to disparage but I understand that it can come across as "clever".

I'm old and I know that my views on the use of English may seem old-fashioned.

Reading some posts actually hurts. The forum is all about written communication. If a poster wants to make a point then it is best done by using the conventions of written English. I shouldn't have to try to interpret what a poster is trying to say. That defeats the purpose of writing anything.

What you need to understand is not everyone has the same education or ability as you, some may also have learning difficulties so for you to correct them everytime is something you may wish to reconsider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Very revealing that you've singled the one poster who has tried to bring some sense or reality to what it takes to actually run a football club (as a business entity), but have not an word of criticism for the 'self-important' (and in some cases failed) ego-trippers who have continually  moved the goalposts over the issue 'fan ownership' (n. b. quotation marks).

It's astounding how many people complain about the 'tedium ' of certain threads yet are happy to plough through them in order to launch personal attacks. Like this one.

 

I single out JJ because over the years his adversaries have come and gone, but he appears consistently sure that he, and he alone, has the secret to life, the universe and everything, and is prepared to share his insights at interminable length.

I suspect that the current crop of protagonists are equally certain that they are right, and I hope they will forgive me for not giving them equal status, but I can't be bothered name-checking them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

What you need to understand is not everyone has the same education or ability as you, some may also have learning difficulties so for you to correct them everytime is something you may wish to reconsider.

I understand. I don't correct people all the time. I generally ignore it apart from the odd occasion when I have had enough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

What you need to understand is not everyone has the same education or ability as you, some may also have learning difficulties so for you to correct them everytime is something you may wish to reconsider.

Yet you are quite happy to refer to somebody’s post as idiotic ? I think there is a little bit of hypocrisy here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is a godsend to those of us based abroad (in my case the Western Balkans).

And it will continue to be so, despite the product on the field of play which has been howling since April 2017.

I understand, and to a large extent enjoy, the discussions and debate on ownership, as it informs me of matters that frankly I would not otherwise be party to.

That said, the discussion becomes circular at times and occasionally needlessly personal.

Besides that, there is one poster for whom PMs that are homophobic and downright abusive have become the norm, and which have become an amusing part of the post match experience lately.

Overall though, thanks you to you all, for this site - hosts, moderators and posters, because otherwise the Western Balkans would be be a lonely unJaggy place to have to work.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Yet you are quite happy to refer to somebody’s post as idiotic ? I think there is a little bit of hypocrisy here.

No hypocrisy at all, i said idiotic puns i never called anyone an idiot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

That's me, Andy. I don't seek to disparage but I understand that it can come across as "clever".

I'm old and I know that my views on the use of English may seem old-fashioned.

Reading some posts actually hurts. The forum is all about written communication. If a poster wants to make a point then it is best done by using the conventions of written English. I shouldn't have to try to interpret what a poster is trying to say. That defeats the purpose of writing anything.

It's just I have seen a few posters ripped to bits because of their writing being perceived as not good enough.

The points they made, whether good, bad or indifferent were ignored, not deemed worthy of any consideration or debate and they were basically just made fools of. I can think of a couple of posters that this has happened to and understandably, they don't post anymore.

It just doesn't seem right to me, I don't like that kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 2:27 AM, AndyMac said:

Some of the posts are not my cup of tea. I find some of threads very boring and struggle to read them. However, I don't have to read them, it's not like I am stuck in a room with folk droning on and on, or being subjected to some dull as dishwasher speaker at some god awful event, who's in love with their own voice, that's steadily making me lose the will to live.

I am not keen on the following though:

People who rip it out of others because they are deemed to have a poor standard of writing. I think these "clever" people are the ignorant ones and not those that they seek to disparage.

You have the morality police, the ones that say things like there is "no place" for views, thoughts, or opinions like this in "today's society". These folk have some front, thinking they can go about, laying down their law. Who do they think they are?

Then you have the characters that always shout about "diversity", until it's a something that they don't agree with, then they suddenly become very reactionary and diversity goes right out the window.

Some of the folk on this forum aren't too easy breezy. That's for sure.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some unity is breaking out. Most folk think we are in serious threat of relegation and it'll take a footballing miracle to keep us up!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go through phases of using the forum. I usually like to catch up with other people's opinions of the games etc and it's good to get a bit of info about what may or may not be happening in and around the club. Plus sometimes it can be quite funny.

However, there are periods where I drift away from it, mainly because I get annoyed by certain posters and there antagonistic and arrogant ways. I don't know if the phrase 'keyboard warriors' is always accurate but it seems to fit a lot.

A simple rule would be, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, then don't say it at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×