Poll : How's the forum these days?

allyo

Forum debate  

56 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find the forum these days?

• Overwhelmed by petty point scoring drivel from a limited number of posters, who'd rather argue their point to death without giving it a second thought, with people who are never going to change their minds anyway, than engage in any meaningful discussion; and who don't mind imposing their own self importance on everyone else
    • Really good thanks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2019 at 03:00 PM

Totally agree with your last point. There can be a lot of whataboutery in terms of what is acceptable,  who is being oversensitive etc, but within a forum of Thistle fans I'd have thought a bit of respect and regard for each other should be a given. It doesn't need to be about dictating what is and isn't acceptable, it's just generally accepted levels of courtesy and decency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jag said:

I go through phases of using the forum. I usually like to catch up with other people's opinions of the games etc and it's good to get a bit of info about what may or may not be happening in and around the club. Plus sometimes it can be quite funny.

However, there are periods where I drift away from it, mainly because I get annoyed by certain posters and there antagonistic and arrogant ways. I don't know if the phrase 'keyboard warriors' is always accurate but it seems to fit a lot.

A simple rule would be, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, then don't say it at all.

Very much on the nail. I guess tho' we're all "keyboard warriors" to some degree in so much as we'll criticise players and managers etc but if confronted with whoever we're slating we would at best rephrase/tone down the criticism.

I tend to see the opinionated threads on the forum as an extension or substitute to the pre/post match pints, basically pub talk. The big difference being instead of heat of the moment comments and arguments in the pub, said then mostly forgotten, we've got the permanence of posted comments on here. Thus the argument can roll on and on often escalating into a slanging match, most likely by this time being joined by 10th degree black belt keyboard warriors. You'd have probably been shown the door in the pub long time before then. I say "probably" as there's been two worthies over near the snug repeatedly shouting at each other since early summer. Guess they're harmless. :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jag said:

I go through phases of using the forum. I usually like to catch up with other people's opinions of the games etc and it's good to get a bit of info about what may or may not be happening in and around the club. Plus sometimes it can be quite funny.

However, there are periods where I drift away from it, mainly because I get annoyed by certain posters and there antagonistic and arrogant ways. I don't know if the phrase 'keyboard warriors' is always accurate but it seems to fit a lot.

A simple rule would be, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, then don't say it at all.

Agree. I don't do a lot of social media, but i think that this is a big problem with websites. People say things online they would never ever say to your face.

• Like 2

I don’t use the forum much any more which is a pity cos I used to enjoy it.

It became the fiefdom of a small number of posters who closed down discussion and debate either directly or by getting embroiled in tedious point scoring with each other. The new owner thread was probably the forums lowest point. I would go into it hoping there would be news about the takeover and instead it was just page after page of posters ripping into each other about topics they had little or no knowledge of.

New facebook groups have appeared. They are dominated by a much younger crowd. Their spats tend to only last for one post. They are more vicious but don’t usually end in the long running feuds on here. They are also less staid and politically correct which makes them more entertaining.

To be fair there is little you can do about it. A forum is only as good as the posters who contribute. If you censor it too much and admin clamp down then it loses its purpose. Unfortunately people vote with their feet and just abandon it and the few who just want to hear themselves speak have won.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Very much on the nail. I guess tho' we're all "keyboard warriors" to some degree in so much as we'll criticise players and managers etc but if confronted with whoever we're slating we would at best rephrase/tone down the criticism.

I tend to see the opinionated threads on the forum as an extension or substitute to the pre/post match pints, basically pub talk. The big difference being instead of heat of the moment comments and arguments in the pub, said then mostly forgotten, we've got the permanence of posted comments on here. Thus the argument can roll on and on often escalating into a slanging match, most likely by this time being joined by 10th degree black belt keyboard warriors. You'd have probably been shown the door in the pub long time before then. I say "probably" as there's been two worthies over near the snug repeatedly shouting at each other since early summer. Guess they're harmless. :) 

That's a fair point. Although the comments aren't directly to them, just about them. You are correct though.

With regards to the rest of your post - I am correct. Sometimes the forum can be quite funny...

Thanks to those who voted.

Seems a fairly strong majority; 6 out of 7 forum members are a bit fed up with how the debate is going these days.

Obviously within that there will be differences of opinion about what is right, what is wrong, what is valid and what is not, and what is considered appropriate. I don't think it's for anyone to tell anyone else what they can and can't post (obviously within  boundaries), ultimately it's a self-regulating thing. But I think some self-regulate more than others.

Just an observation, nothing else, but I'm sure most of us joined the forum primarily to discuss the football with the off field stuff secondary. The match thread used to be up a good few days before the game in question. Lately the match thread tends to be posted much closer to kick off. Almost feels like an afterthought.

I don't know if that's significant or not. Perhaps it's symptomatic of a trend toward the off field activities becoming the primary focus of the forum? That might go some way to explain why it appears more heated on here these days. Off field topics are more likely to bring about a less tolerant polarisation of views than discussing team line ups, formations etc. 

Certainly the off field goings on have been at heightened state for a while now. So perhaps when the dynamics trend back towards the actual football itself then the forum will seem a calmer more enjoyable place to visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Certainly the off field goings on have been at heightened state for a while now. So perhaps when the dynamics trend back towards the actual football itself then the forum will seem a calmer more enjoyable place to visit.

I think that might depend on the football! :) For the moment the off-field stuff might be a less painful distraction.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just an observation, nothing else, but I'm sure most of us joined the forum primarily to discuss the football with the off field stuff secondary. The match thread used to be up a good few days before the game in question. Lately the match thread tends to be posted much closer to kick off. Almost feels like an afterthought.

I don't know if that's significant or not. Perhaps it's symptomatic of a trend toward the off field activities becoming the primary focus of the forum? That might go some way to explain why it appears more heated on here these days. Off field topics are more likely to bring about a less tolerant polarisation of views than discussing team line ups, formations etc. 

I miss the 'Just In' threads.

These days they probably wouldn't start before we'd all drowned our sorrows.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

I miss the 'Just In' threads.

These days they probably wouldn't start before we'd all drowned our sorrows.

Lol - I was just thinking exactly the same. I think the poster was called ‘clinically depressed’. Who wouldn’t be after reading the forum these days.

tbf - it’s been said already but I do think some posters spend a huge amount of time debating stuff back and forward. I know that what forums are for but a lot of the board/financial stuff has been rather tedious imo. I know I started a recent thread about jlow but that soon descended into pages and pages of a handful of posters debating who can be a director and how fan ownership works. I’d like to sponsor a few of the guys just to go to a pub, maybe in springburn or Jordan hill, and talk it out...