Pars V Jags

lady-isobel-barnett

12 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Don't worry Mr Weir is gonna spend millions apparently....

This is what I don’t quite get.   
of course we need his £s and will be grateful for them as the team needs overhauled. 
But, there was so much talk when the consortium was first discussed where so many were claiming that an owner spending lots of money to push us up the league somehow just wouldn’t feel like thistle anymore.  But it seems it’s ok if it’s Colin weirs kids inheritance. 
like I say that’s not a criticism of him - it’s amazing if he gives us money. But at some point there will have to be consequences for bad decisions. He has been our get out of jail free card for sometime now.  Thank god for him. But it  surely ought to be a goal to become self sufficient. 

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaf said:

of course we need his £s and will be grateful for them as the team needs overhauled. 
But, there was so much talk when the consortium was first discussed where so many were claiming that an owner spending lots of money to push us up the league somehow just wouldn’t feel like thistle anymore.  But it seems it’s ok if it’s Colin weirs kids inheritance. 
like I say that’s not a criticism of him - it’s amazing if he gives us money. But at some point there will have to be consequences for bad decisions. He has been our get out of jail free card for sometime now.  Thank god for him. But it  surely ought to be a goal to become self sufficient. 

As I said on another thread

Colin Weir has put up the money to buy a majority shareholding, to continue funding the youth academy and fund the womens' team. We do not know what he intends putting in for the January window. If we are really lucky he and the rest of  the board will sit down with the manager and discuss what is needed, short term, to keep us from relegation. The longer term future of the club is down to the fans' organisation, however that appears after March.

If Colin Weir does fund the manager (rather than just supporting him) then our debt of gratitude to him just keeps on increasing.

• Like 2

How much money have we thrown at building a team of duds over the last couple of years? While useful, its not the be all and end all. Ayr, Arbroath, Alloa have built a team on a fraction of our budget. Throwing more money onto the fire might bring temporary relief but unless there is a real plan to address the problem we will just find ourselves in the same position.

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

The only 2 players on show that looked any way half decent yesterday were Cole (not just because of his free-kick) and Kakay (at least he succeeded in beating his man and driving forward).  The worry is that their loan deals finish in January.  Take these two out of the team at the moment in we are in deep doo-doo. 

Even when in possession the standard of play was awful with misplaced headers and passes and woeful tackles.  No criticism of forwards is possible as they were redundant after 3.03 pm.  A cast-off scoring 4 is extra salt in the wound.  His turning to the Thistle support when he scored and his reaction was doubly hard to take.  All this against a no better than average team.  Their shooting in the 2nd half was very poor.  Just as well.  

Zanatta must be the biggest enigma.  He has gone from unplayable for the first half of his debut to unpickable based on his recent performances.

I would imagine that Cole and Kakay would rather return to their parent clubs and go on loan somewhere else for the second half of the season. I wouldn't blame them if they did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

How much money have we thrown at building a team of duds over the last couple of years? While useful, its not the be all and end all. Ayr, Arbroath, Alloa have built a team on a fraction of our budget. Throwing more money onto the fire might bring temporary relief but unless there is a real plan to address the problem we will just find ourselves in the same position.

Spot on.  You can have more money than rival teams and more fans but if the players and manager's can't perform it matters not a jot when it comes to 3om on a Saturday.

We've had a top 4 budget since we came down but we have never came close to achieving that status due to what has or hasn't happened on the park.

I've got faith in McCall but even with a decent spot of recruitment in January it will be a big ask to keep us up.

1 hour ago, jaf said:

When were the consortium going to spend their own money? I’m not aware they have put in a penny of their own money at Barnsley, rather to the annoyance of the Barnsley support they appear to be making money- completely for their own pockets.

i think it’s a complete myth that the consortium were going to put in money 

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

I would imagine that Cole and Kakay would rather return to their parent clubs and go on loan somewhere else for the second half of the season. I wouldn't blame them if they did.

We had better hope Shea Gordon returns from injury soon simply because he seems to be one of the few players capable of scoring 

13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Perhaps Tam O'Ware did us a favour today. We'd still have been beaten with 11 on the pitch anyway and besides I wasn't buying that unbeaten in four positive spin. If in any previous doubt McCall can now see how completely dire we are. We're simply in a state where come January the more players we can bring in the better. Normally I'd say signing too many players would backfire but I don't believe it can get any worse than today.

One example of our direness was when we went down to ten and there were serious doubts that subbing Cardle was incorrect. Should really be a no brainer decision but players in more central positions could just as easily have been sacrificed and that's alarming.

Sad in a way, but on reflection drawing the Soap Dodgers in the cup should maybe be looked upon as good news. 

No papering over the cracks now, no 'building a team around O/Ware and Bannigan'.

We were rank on Tuesday night and we were rank against Cuikie (result notwithstanding) if the truth be told.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

As I said on another thread

Colin Weir has put up the money to buy a majority shareholding, to continue funding the youth academy and fund the womens' team. We do not know what he intends putting in for the January window. If we are really lucky he and the rest of  the board will sit down with the manager and discuss what is needed, short term, to keep us from relegation. The longer term future of the club is down to the fans' organisation, however that appears after March.

If Colin Weir does fund the manager (rather than just supporting him) then our debt of gratitude to him just keeps on increasing.

With the fans group taking Colin Weirs shares in April, we also need to ensure that any signings funded by Colin can be funded internally after he leaves. Otherwise we could “inherit” a large (it’s 3rd largest in Championship already) wage bill with lack of resources to continue funding it. Our crowds are down, no parachute money, no UEFA money, and £50k a year from TFE to plug any gap is worrying. 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

With the fans group taking Colin Weirs shares in April, we also need to ensure that any signings funded by Colin can be funded internally after he leaves. Otherwise we could “inherit” a large (it’s 3rd largest in Championship already) wage bill with lack of resources to continue funding it. Our crowds are down, no parachute money, no UEFA money, and £50k a year from TFE to plug any gap is worrying. 

As it's an interim board the only way I could see any funding for the team working is if it was ring-fenced to help the manager bring in targets and promised for a set time. This would mean the manager couldn't offer extended contracts as incentives.

3 minutes ago, scotty said:

As it's an interim board the only way I could see any funding for the team working is if it was ring-fenced to help the manager bring in targets and promised for a set time. This would mean the manager couldn't offer extended contracts as incentives.

If we can't offer longer term contracts, is that really going to entice somebody to come to Firhill?

YBe great if Colin W does fund significant signings in January to help us stay in the league. Even if future investment is lower and more ‘balanced’. McCall demonstrated at Ayr he can work well on a tight budget long term. Hopefully post January we improve and fans slowly start to return to help boost future funds.

Edited by JAG1970

31 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

If we can't offer longer term contracts, is that really going to entice somebody to come to Firhill?

No, but this is where we are. There is another alternative that we stick with the squad we have and wait for the new set-up and a new board to plan for promotion. (back to the Championship)

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

When were the consortium going to spend their own money? I’m not aware they have put in a penny of their own money at Barnsley, rather to the annoyance of the Barnsley support they appear to be making money- completely for their own pockets.

i think it’s a complete myth that the consortium were going to put in money 

Agreed, it didn't stop some people using it as a stick to beat them with that buying success was not the PTFC way, which was the substance of my point.

47 minutes ago, scotty said:

No, but this is where we are. There is another alternative that we stick with the squad we have and wait for the new set-up and a new board to plan for promotion. (back to the Championship)

Not sure if your post was tongue in cheek or not but there is substance to that scenario , get the infrastructure of the Club right , start utilising the Academy and give them a pathway to the first team.  Not an ideal scenario but at least it would let us build foundations for years to come .

12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure if your post was tongue in cheek or not but there is substance to that scenario , get the infrastructure of the Club right , start utilising the Academy and give them a pathway to the first team.  Not an ideal scenario but at least it would let us build foundations for years to come .

Possibly the plan of not just the present manager but recent ones to, just never really implemented. Be interesting to see if  McCall goes knee jerk in January or longer term. The latter holding the increased risk of relegation. There's near convincing arguments either way.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I think we have to face it. We are going the way of Clyde. Dropping like a stone and down the leagues. We are heading fast to become a bottom 2 tier team permanently.

Clyde have actually bounced back slightly (from fourth to third tier), so are again on an upward curve just now, but I appreciate do not look like getting back to where they were a couple of decades ago as one of the stronger teams in the second tier.