What do you remember about...Davie McParland

east end jag

Apologies if this topic comes across as an indulgence too far.

I thought it would be interesting, cathartic and, hopefully, entertaining to go through a list of our previous managers and give any recollections, opinions, stories or general observations you have about their time in charge of Thistle.

Starting at Davie McParland, we take a week to recollect what they did and didn't do, could and should have done  along with anything else of interest that happened for you during their time as manager. Especially interested in any personal interactions/stories you might have with or involving given manager. We'll then move onto the next person in charge.

For the avoidance of confusion, we'll roll any multiple periods of being manager that individuals had (Lambie, Bertie and McCall ) into one.

So get started. If you have a story about Davie McParland meeting you in the street, a letter he sent you after you wrote to the club or a time when he rolled out a pub and you saw him being sick in the street, now's the time to tell it.  

• Like 1

Great idea!

Can't offer any personal experiences, but remember as a kid being at the game v the Eastenders where Davie was falsely sent off. (the term before the days of coloured cards folks).

With hindsight, what strikes me is that the press at the time did a collective 'Whaaa.............Davie McParland got sent off??????'

20 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Great idea!

Can't offer any personal experiences, but remember as a kid being at the game v the Eastenders where Davie was falsely sent off. (the term before the days of coloured cards folks).

With hindsight, what strikes me is that the press at the time did a collective 'Whaaa.............Davie McParland got sent off??????'

14 October 1967 in a 5-1 defeat to Celtic.  He was sent off  for the mildest of retaliation along with Willie Wallace who had lunged at him.  They were Chair and Vice-Chair of the SPFA at the time!

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

14 October 1967 in a 5-1 defeat to Celtic.  He was sent off  for the mildest of retaliation along with Willie Wallace who had lunged at him.  They were Chair and Vice-Chair of the SPFA at the time!

I was at that game, and DM's sending off was scandalous. As I was in the enclosure I got a good look at him as he went down the tunnel, and he had tears in his eyes at the injustice. We spoke about the incident at hospitality a few years ago, and he was still angry at the referee!

When he was our manager I did a school project about sports journalism. As my father worked in newspapers he got me a couple of interviews with guys who wrote for the Herald and the Evening Times, and one of them got me an interview with DM in his office at Firhill. What a nice man he was, encouraging me and giving me all kinds of insights about how they deal with the press. He then took me to meet a couple of the players so that I could get their views on handling journalists. If I remember right I interviewed Ronnie Glavin and John Gibson. No idea what kind of mark my assignment got in the end, but I had a great time doing it! 

• Like 5

Another wee memory snippet: My brother and I were at hospitality (either pre-match or some other function) some years ago and we ended up chatting with Davie, reminiscing about players he played with and against and so on. I think our next match was away to Accies at their new ground, and he still had some kind of community role there. He insisted that we call into the ground before the game and mention that we were his guests. A real Thistle gem and gent.

The afternoon before The Game ( the '71 league cup final for younger members of our family) David Mc and ally Macleod took lunch in the sadly long-gone Glasgow press club in west regent street. Using everything on the table - salt, pepper, vinegar, ketchup, brown sauce, tumblers etc., - Davie explained the tactics that would rip apart jock stein's mighty Celtic. 'So you think you're going to win, then?' enquired Maggie, the elderly waitress. 'Not only are we going to win, pet,' replied davie mc with a huge grin. 'We're going to shock the world of football,,,'

and we did just that...

• Like 6

I was at the game v Celtic when McParland was sent off and recall the incident because I was standing right in line. 

Davie, in total control of the ball,  was running away from Wallace when the latter grabbed McParland's Jersey from the back. Davie simply waved his arm back in an attempt to break Wallace's hold on him. 

The Referee blew for a foul and after a brief lecture sent Davie off. 

The fans, including sections of the visiting support were shocked as were some of the Celtic players, especially Wallace. Wallace in fact remonstrated with the Referee but could not persuade him to change his decision. 

When Davie appeared before the 'beaks' he was admonished and given a minor verbal warning - no fine, no suspension! Confirmation that the Referee's decision was ridiculous! 

I can't recall the name of the Referee but I had my suspicions he was afraid the Jags would win.  Up to the sending off we were totally dominant and, but for the old Thistle story, should have been  2 or 3 goals ahead. 

The decision spoiled the game and although Celtic won there was no gloating, winding up or leg pulling just a subdued reaction from the green and whites that I knew. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, Jaggernaut said:

I was at that game, and DM's sending off was scandalous. As I was in the enclosure I got a good look at him as he went down the tunnel, and he had tears in his eyes at the injustice. We spoke about the incident at hospitality a few years ago, and he was still angry at the referee!

When he was our manager I did a school project about sports journalism. As my father worked in newspapers he got me a couple of interviews with guys who wrote for the Herald and the Evening Times, and one of them got me an interview with DM in his office at Firhill. What a nice man he was, encouraging me and giving me all kinds of insights about how they deal with the press. He then took me to meet a couple of the players so that I could get their views on handling journalists. If I remember right I interviewed Ronnie Glavin and John Gibson. No idea what kind of mark my assignment got in the end, but I had a great time doing it! 

On 12/1/2019 at 9:20 AM, a f kincaid said:

As said In my post I was also at the game and agree  with your assessment of 'mild retaliation'. 

However my recollection differs on two points:

1. Davie was in possession of the ball and was moving away from Wallace who attempted to hold him back: Davie swept his arm behind him to try and break Wallace's hold of his Jersey.  Don't recall any lunge! 

2. I don't recall Wallace being ordered off, not even being booked which meant it was 10 v, 11 for most of the game. 

I think when the Referee whistled for an foul Davie fully expected a free kick to be awarded to him!! 

56 years ago is a long time but ignoring the detail we can agree DM is a legend! 

I started going in the 1965/66 season, so I got to see Davie McParland playing many times.  I also saw most games where he managed us, and yes, that includes The game.

I am not able to cite another individual during my time of being a Jag who encapsulates the Thistle 'thing' or spirit or whatever that indescribable, intangible element or ingredient is more than Mr McParland did/does. I can't say any more than that about him. He is more than anything or anybody else the reason why I am a Partick Thistle supporter. 

• Like 3