What do you remember about...Bertie Auld

east end jag

At the time Bertie did get abuse for the style of play we adopted in the Premier League as we had a brilliant team that had won the first division. It was only when he left did we realise how good a manager he was.   Like Lambie he was a character , and if you meet him he will happily chat about his times at Firhill.  He attended the Hall of Fame dinner a few years back and was on brilliant form telling Thistle stories 

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Just this morning I was thinking about ex OF players who pitch up at Firhill as managers. For too many I think it was probably just a nice wee retirement plan (and of course the same goes for far too many ex OF players): Scott Symon, Bertie, Fatso Johnstone, Murder McLeod, Derek Whyte... I might have forgotten some. Play around at the wee Thistle while milking the Ibrox/Parkheid link for all its worth. They had basically zilch interest in PTFC, and looked on the club and supporters as a wee earner, nothing more. 

I don't think Bertie deserves to be on that list.

Just this morning I was thinking about ex OF players who pitch up at Firhill as managers. For too many I think it was probably just a nice wee retirement plan (and of course the same goes for far too many ex OF players): Scott Symon, Bertie, Fatso Johnstone, Murder McLeod, Derek Whyte... I might have forgotten some. Play around at the wee Thistle while milking the Ibrox/Parkheid link for all its worth. They had basically zilch interest in PTFC, and looked on the club and supporters as a wee earner, nothing more. 

Ian McCall really comes across as an exception, with a genuine passion for the Jags.

Incidentally, in the seven games McCall played for us in 1996-97 (of which I have no recollection), his record was W4 D2 L1. I'd settle for that for the rest of this season!

You can add Thornton & Meiklejohn to the list.

Ian McCall really comes across as an exception, with a genuine passion for the Jags.

Incidentally, in the seven games McCall played for us in 1996-97 (of which I have no recollection), his record was W4 D2 L1. I'd settle for that for the rest of this season!

Quite a lot of ex-old firm players have managed us over the last forty years.

The ones you mention plus Benny Rooney, Gerry Britton, Gary Caldwell, Jackie McNamara and Sandy Clark. Can Butcher and Bone get a mention as well? 

20 minutes ago, thistle4celtic1 said:

I was a young kid watching watching the game on TV. I remember it clearly.  I think he scythed Helmut Haller.

It was Haller. Haller clipped his heels just as he was about to shoot one of his blockbusters, but instead hitting it he chased Haller around the park and gave a right boot up the bahookey.

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

It was Haller. Haller clipped his heels just as he was about to shoot one of his blockbusters, but instead hitting it he chased Haller around the park and gave a right boot up the bahookey.

One of the funniest moments in sport(along with the Zaire guy running out the wall at a free kick and blootering it down the park!!).

And the Paddy Connolly ‘goal’

And Rivaldo clutching his head in agony.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You can add Thornton & Meiklejohn to the list.

Hmm, Meiklejohn was well before my time. Thornton at least kept us comfortably in the top flight during his reign, and almost even won the league one year. For some reason I don't view him with the same disdain as the others.

10 hours ago, Jag said:

Quite a lot of ex-old firm players have managed us over the last forty years.

The ones you mention plus Benny Rooney, Gerry Britton, Gary Caldwell, Jackie McNamara and Sandy Clark. Can Butcher and Bone get a mention as well? 

Thanks. All guilty as charged (except Gerry and Jimmy-B: not good managers, but not simply ex-OF who didn't care about Thistle.)

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

One of the funniest moments in sport(along with the Zaire guy running out the wall at a free kick and blootering it down the park!!).

And the Paddy Connolly ‘goal’

And Rivaldo clutching his head in agony.

On a completely different level and I doubt there's any video footage, but the Dymtro Pronevych  (aka Dave the Ukrainian) rugby tackle at Alloa was hilarious. Even at a time when we had some shocking players Dave appeared to be in a class of his own.  

john hansen told me the following tale when i interviewed him for the daily telegraph a number of years ago...:

'We'd been beaten in successive games so bertie called us in for training on the saturday morning before the next game, announced the team and explained. 'we're bottom of the league, your confidence is gone so we're going to have a practice game against invisible opponents..'

"now it's actually really difficult playing against nobody. bertie was an intimidating presence and poor john kennedy, our left back, was supposed to ping the ball down the touchline to the winger. four times in a row john hoofed the ball into the terracing. eventually he finally succeeded  in finding our outside-left whose job it was to cross the ball into the near post for joe craig. so what happened? three times in a row Joe headed wide - after 30 minutes we were drawing  0-0 with our invisible opponents. at which point four of the lads who were originally in the team were unceremoniously dropped...!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, robphil said:

john hansen told me the following tale when i interviewed him for the daily telegraph a number of years ago...:

'We'd been beaten in successive games so bertie called us in for training on the saturday morning before the next game, announced the team and explained. 'we're bottom of the league, your confidence is gone so we're going to have a practice game against invisible opponents..'

"now it's actually really difficult playing against nobody. bertie was an intimidating presence and poor john kennedy, our left back, was supposed to ping the ball down the touchline to the winger. four times in a row john hoofed the ball into the terracing. eventually he finally succeeded  in finding our outside-left whose job it was to cross the ball into the near post for joe craig. so what happened? three times in a row Joe headed wide - after 30 minutes we were drawing  0-0 with our invisible opponents. at which point four of the lads who were originally in the team were unceremoniously dropped...!"

Wonderful.

3 hours ago, robphil said:

I partially heard that story, so thanks for filling in the details. I was a field service engineer and occasionally worked in Abbey National offices in Glasgow in the early 80's where John was pretty high up, I just stood dumbfounded when he came in to the office one of the times I was there :shok:

5 hours ago, jaggy said:

I partially heard that story, so thanks for filling in the details. I was a field service engineer and occasionally worked in Abbey National offices in Glasgow in the early 80's where John was pretty high up, I just stood dumbfounded when he came in to the office one of the times I was there :shok:

John Hansen is one of my all-time favourite Thistle players.

• Like 1